Cozumel side trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txg8r

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhat NDR question...

Has anyone tried to do a visit to Chichen Itza while staying in Cozumel? How long does it take? Is it worth the time? Any suggestions - tour operator vs. self-tour?

All feedback is appericated!:froggy: :eek:ut:

Originally posted by txg8r
Somewhat NDR question...

Has anyone tried to do a visit to Chichen Itza while staying in Cozumel? How long does it take? Is it worth the time? Any suggestions - tour operator vs. self-tour?

All feedback is appericated!:froggy: :eek:ut:

Hello!

I haven't done it from Cozumel but rather from Cancun. It's a two hour bus ride from Cancun (I believe straight west) So add a bit of time from Playa del Carmen plus the ferry ride across. Hope this hasn't detered you. If you find history interesting, I think it's well worth the trip. It's a pretty amazing site. Just walking up the "pyramid" is worth the trip.

We did the guided tour (through our resort) and they gave us plenty of time to wander around on our own. It is a very large area. With the guided tour they gave us excellent information about the history that I don't think would get on your own.

If you have any questions, let me know. I've got some pictures somewhere if your interested. If you've got the time - go for it!

John

I've heard great things about Chichen Itza, and thought it would be interesting to go if it didn't take too much time, expense, etc. I know it is pretty much heresy to say this on this board, but I had planned to take a day off from diving (gasp!) to explore around the area. Sounds like this might be a good daytrip! Any info, pics, whatever you would like to share eill be deeply appreciated!

Thank you!!! :)

Chicken Pizza is a great place to see and visit. Unfortunatly it doesn't work from Coz. Long day and/or expensive. It's best seen in the morning early before the tourist crowds. Lot's of people feel it needs two days. Fly, is to late and to expensive and doesn't work if you are diving. Bus is just a great way to "ruin" your day and maybe your trip. Unless you have more then one day to "kill". Best bet , take the boat to PDC, rent a car and run down to Tulum. If you love ruins, back up to Coba. Then on the return, stop and look at the cenotes, see the beaches, (Akumal ?) and dine in PDC at dusk. Late boat home ( Coz ) , and you've had a great day.

adios don O

Hi txg8r-
Ditto most of the other replies so far. Chichen Itza is fantastic, amazing, and totally worth the trip- if you have 2-3 days for it. John and donooo are both correct in their assessments, and my 2 cents is: save Chichen Itza for later- I've been there lots, and the best time was when we stayed at a hotel near the entrance and were at the ruins at dawn, before the bus tours overran it. The evening light show is pretty cool, too.

Better for you to go to Tulumn- great ruins in an absolutely stunning setting on the coast. Go early, take your swim suit (there's a terrific little beach right in the ruins), take lots of film and a picnic lunch (film and food are an overpriced rip-off at the park, although there IS a Subway with decent prices- but did you really come to Mexico to eat at Subway?) and, more importantly, try to read up on Tulumn a little before you go (you can find English-language guidebooks downtown Cozumel, or research it on the internet before you go). You'll enjoy the ruins a lot more if you understand what it is you're looking at. (One of my "cheap trip" suggestions is to quietly "attach" yourself to one of the many groups, mostly from the cruise ships, you'll see touring the ruins with a local guide and listen in for a no-cost guided tour. But do your karma a favor and tip the guide $3-4 discreetly at the end!)

As for getting there, I beg to disagree with donooo. There's really no need to rent a car or Jeep for the day just to get to Tulumn, unless you have the $65+ to throw away or just like driving. There are lots of local buses that leave frequently from the Playa del Carmen bus station (2 blocks from the ferry) for only a few dollars. It takes about 25-30 minutes, and they drop you off on the highway right at the entrance to the Tulumn park (there is a tram from the entrance to the ruins themselves, but it's not that long to walk), and you can catch the bus back in the same place. You'll have more fun, mix with "the locals", see the same sights along the highway (not much to see, really), and save $50 or so to spend on diving or, better yet, a great meal and a margarita back in Playa while waiting to catch the ferry back to Coz.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip and post a report when you get back!
FastDen :rainbow:

I have been there and have to agree with Donooo and FastDen. Make sure you have the free time to enjoy it.

Well, the only reason I figured the car, is if you want to do the other sidetrips. I don't mind the bus, but I do mind waiting for it three or four times a day , on the side of the highway. A lot of the side trips / beaches are a walk into. A car has a trunk to leave some stuff in. Tulum and back, sure bus. All though I 'am not a "money is no problem" sort of guy, I feel a lot can be done on this day with a rental car. Let's see that's -one day, all day rental car for 1-4 or one two tank dive for one.

good luck don O

PS, I think she's going to Belize anyway.

Back
Top Bottom