Cozumel reef health

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up north where? I don't have a ton of dives outside the park but last trip we dove a couple dives north of the island, past Barricuda, in 3 hours of diving I didn't see a gouper larger than a ft. we had spears too and no lion fish. Dove once on the east side and kind of the same story. Like I said I have not had a ton of dives there but that's my experience. Have seen sail fish off the wall at San Juan though.

Up near Barracuda to the sleeping shark cave, can’t say I’ve done a lot of dives up there, maybe 15-20 but seemed very healthy. We’ve always nailed a few lion fish but now that you mentioned it we didn’t see a big grouper. I have never been on the east side but would love to explore over there.

While I feel terribly for the citizens of Cozumel who depend on tourist dollars I think that the reefs ecosystem was strained to its limits before the Pandemic. The last time I was there in 2019 they had just started the closures. The poor health of the reefs, bleached or dead / dying coral and an absence of sea life was noticeable, at least to my eye. I got open water certified with my daughter in Cozumel around 2010 and have been there diving most years since so I witnessed the decline overtime but 2019 was quite a shock. In any case I am wondering if the Covid 19 pandemic was a blessing in disguise for the reef. With fewer boats, divers, guests at the hotels and no cruise ships the environment has had a vacation and I am hoping the reef is thriving again. I am traveling to Cozumel in May with the family so I will get a chance to see first hand. Fingers crossed.

We have some things in common. I was in Cozumel last week, and the last time I was there was December 2019, and I, too, noticed a drastic decline in reef health both then and now. My first dive trip after certification in 2010 was to Cozumel and I've been going there about once a year ever since. I will tell you that the reef has not recovered enough to make me want to go back. In fact, in my view, it hasn't recovered at all since 2019. Despite the wishful thinking that lack of cruise ships might help the reef recover, I fear other factors have had a continual degrading effect on the reef. Cozumel was hit by two hurricanes last fall. I'm sure the lack of proper wastewater disposal has contributed to decades of sickening the reef. The locals have fished out the sea and all the fish are gone. And I'm not kidding....the marine life was very sparse and there were only tiny juvenile fishes swimming about. There are long, sweeping areas of dead corals. At one of the sites, it looked as though someone had taken a rake or a grader and scooped all the coral bones into piles. It was awful looking. The friendly turtle known to hang out around dive boats was killed and eaten by the locals. So sad. I remember on one trip, this turtle showed up during our surface interval, and I slipped into the water and snorkeled with it and it still hung around. It was a special experience!

Of the 18 dives I made, I can count on one hand the few larger or special things I saw: 3 turtles, 3 eagle rays, 2 splendid toadfish, 1 green moray eel, 1 spotted eel, 2 small groupers. NO sharks, NO stingrays.
The night diving, on the other hand, was spectacular with lots of crab, lobsters, stingrays, squid, octopus, basket stars, brittle stars. Night diving is my favorite kind of diving and it didn't disappoint this time. However, that only accounted for 4 of the 18 dives.

The north end is closed, so my dive sites were Santa Rosa Wall, San Clemente, Punta Sur, Delilah, Paradise (night dive), Palancar, Tikila Beach (night dive), Punta Tich (? not sure of the spelling), Yucab, Chakanaab (night dive). Some of these were repeated.

I think diver tourism is picking up, but non-diver tourism is still down. As far as fewer dive boats in the water, it was a traffic jam of boats on the morning dives and there was as many as 30 divers in the water at some of our sites, so you had to be careful to identify and stay with your group. It was so busy, I switched my dive schedule from two dives in the morning to two dives in the afternoon and then the night dive.

If your primary purpose for going to Cozumel is diving, you won't know for sure until you judge for yourself, but my recommendation would be to skip Cozumel and find another dive destination.

Subscribed.

Cozumel to me is more than just about the diving, but I'm listening since im headed there next month.

We have some things in common. I was in Cozumel last week, and the last time I was there was December 2019, and I, too, noticed a drastic decline in reef health both then and now. My first dive trip after certification in 2010 was to Cozumel and I've been going there about once a year ever since. I will tell you that the reef has not recovered enough to make me want to go back. In fact, in my view, it hasn't recovered at all since 2019. Despite the wishful thinking that lack of cruise ships might help the reef recover, I fear other factors have had a continual degrading effect on the reef. Cozumel was hit by two hurricanes last fall. I'm sure the lack of proper wastewater disposal has contributed to decades of sickening the reef. The locals have fished out the sea and all the fish are gone. And I'm not kidding....the marine life was very sparse and there were only tiny juvenile fishes swimming about. There are long, sweeping areas of dead corals. At one of the sites, it looked as though someone had taken a rake or a grader and scooped all the coral bones into piles. It was awful looking. The friendly turtle known to hang out around dive boats was killed and eaten by the locals. So sad. I remember on one trip, this turtle showed up during our surface interval, and I slipped into the water and snorkeled with it and it still hung around. It was a special experience!

Of the 18 dives I made, I can count on one hand the few larger or special things I saw: 3 turtles, 3 eagle rays, 2 splendid toadfish, 1 green moray eel, 1 spotted eel, 2 small groupers. NO sharks, NO stingrays.
The night diving, on the other hand, was spectacular with lots of crab, lobsters, stingrays, squid, octopus, basket stars, brittle stars. Night diving is my favorite kind of diving and it didn't disappoint this time. However, that only accounted for 4 of the 18 dives.

The north end is closed, so my dive sites were Santa Rosa Wall, San Clemente, Punta Sur, Delilah, Paradise (night dive), Palancar, Tikila Beach (night dive), Punta Tich (? not sure of the spelling), Yucab, Chakanaab (night dive). Some of these were repeated.

I think diver tourism is picking up, but non-diver tourism is still down. As far as fewer dive boats in the water, it was a traffic jam of boats on the morning dives and there was as many as 30 divers in the water at some of our sites, so you had to be careful to identify and stay with your group. It was so busy, I switched my dive schedule from two dives in the morning to two dives in the afternoon and then the night dive.

If your primary purpose for going to Cozumel is diving, you won't know for sure until you judge for yourself, but my recommendation would be to skip Cozumel and find another dive destination.
Wow - Thanks for the update. I am hoping that the conditions you encountered were more storm related than the same systemic decline in the health of the reef that we both noticed in 2019.

There are long, sweeping areas of dead corals. At one of the sites, it looked as though someone had taken a rake or a grader and scooped all the coral bones into piles. It was awful looking.

May I ask, what dive sites were on when you saw this?

some of that damage sounds like hurrican damage to me... anyone remember what the reefs looked like the 1st year after Wilma? :eek:

some of that damage sounds like hurrican damage to me... anyone remember what the reefs looked like the 1st year after Wilma? :eek:
Yes, I do, and there are still a lot of piles of dead finger coral that are the result of Wilma.

I was a relatively new diver when we made our first trip to Cozumel 3 months after Wilma. All of my diving up to that point had been in Florida and the Bahamas.

All of the old timers at Scuba Club talked about how the reef was so bad after Wilma that they were never returning to Cozumel. To me, Cozumel had the most beautiful reef that I had ever seen, even after Wilma.

I have since been diving all over the world, and Cozumel is still my favorite. We have been to Cozumel every year since Wilma, and next month will be my third trip to Cozumel in less than a year.

I've been a storm water quality inspector for almost 20yrs. Its not good. From florida to the Caribbean reefs are dying. All the excess nutrients from improperly treated sewage to all the nutrients runoff from the golf courses that used to be Everglades. More hard surfaces create more runoff. The culture in the usa is trying to turn to more green space to let water soak into the ground instead of a concrete channel that flushes it all to the receiving water body. Unfortunately the saying dilution is the solution to pollution isnt working. I can list more non regulated sources of pollution than I have time for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom