Cozumel recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK let me clarify my previous post: My point was 'it is drift diving', not chest thumping, and the current does most of the work for you. Properly trimmed you will most likely get long bottom times because you are not expending a lot of energy. With 80’s I am hard pressed to do 4 tanks of Nitrox in a day due to O2 loading and I will normally do the shallower dives with air.
O2 loading from recreational nitrox dives? Not very likely. Recreational nitrox divers simply don't have to watch the O2 clock, at least in most recreational diving scenarios. Four 80s of nitrox per day is commonplace in countless places.

O2 loading from recreational nitrox dives? Not very likely. Recreational nitrox divers simply don't have to watch the O2 clock, at least in most recreational diving scenarios. Four 80s of nitrox per day is commonplace in countless places.
My Oceanic DC’s give me good bottom times but as to Nitrox/ O2 Saturation limits; they appear to run a 24 hr. running a clock W/O credit to bleed off. This throws my in to violation on subsequent days. As best as I can tell they are not the only manufacture to run the conservative early 90’s nitrox algorithms with a 24 hour ‘hard’ clock without regard to bleed off.

My Oceanic DC’s give me good bottom times but as to Nitrox/ O2 Saturation limits; they appear to run a 24 hr. running a clock W/O credit to bleed off. This throws my in to violation on subsequent days. As best as I can tell they are not the only manufacture to run the conservative early 90’s nitrox algorithms with a 24 hour ‘hard’ clock without regard to bleed off.
If violation doesn't lock anything out, might as well violate it. If you're diving 32% at 100', you're diving a 1.3 ppo. Daily exposure limit of 1.3 is 210 min. Obviously any shallower diving only extends the limit as one can presume you don't spend 210 min per day at 100'. Half-life of O2 is 90 min, so you get a fresh start each day.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

To clarify, I am an AOW diver with 43 dives logged. I will either be travelling with a friend (also AOW diver), or by myself. I would prefer to stay in or close to town. All inclusive is not really my thing I don't think; I'll likely stay in a hostel, although a reasonably priced AI with service from a suitable operator is something I might be willing to try. I want long dives and an abundance and variety of sea life. Sharks, Rays, Turtles, Dolphins, etc. I prefer to boat dive over shore diving. I'm not bad on air, but I'm told there are good currents around there so the bigger the tanks the better I suppose.

What do you think the best DC/ accomms/ sites are for me?

Gopbroek mentioned Tres Pelicanos. They seem well reviewed and affordable. Any one else have an opinion? Do they have 120's?

Also, I will be there at the end of June, I understand this isn't the busiest time. Do any of the dive centers offer deals in the summer?

Hi weboflies...have you made your plans yet ???? If not, here are a few ideas...

You prefer to stay in or close to town - Hotel Cozumel-just outside of town-easy walk to town for restaurants- does have dining onsite if needed- nice pool and pier for pick up
Blue Angel Resort - OK walk to town if need be; quick not to pricey taxi fare;restaurant on premises; nice pool and pier for pick up
Vista del Mar- in the middle of town on waterfront street; walk everywhere in town; town pier across street; OK-shallow pool to cool off
Casa Mexicana - in the middle of town (next door to Vista del mar) ; walk everywhere in town; town pier across street; Not to great pool (a kiddie pool at best) ; Restaurant on site-good breakfast buffet
Hostelito-I have never stayed here, however did stop by to look at it once. It seemed Ok and is walking distance to everywhere in town. The closest pier would be the town pier. NO Pool
Suites Bahia-In town, walk everywhere, closest pier is town pier; Recommended often; kitchenetts
Suites Colonial-In town, walk everywhere, closest pier is town pier.BEST dive op ??? - As said, this is a HEAVY question here on SB...:wink: . My advice is to read trip reviews and then choose what you feel are a good top 5 Dive Ops; Base your choice on those who have a history of good safety practices, professional and experienced crew. Contact #1 on your list with your questions. ie: Dates you wish to dive, Where do they pick up, Lodging suggestions, Boat capacity, bottom time limits ? , what type of tank they use, equipment rental if needed, usual SI and of course cost, etc. Just know that the cheapest or the most expensive may be or may not be YOUR best choice. YOU will need to find YOUR best fit...overall make your best choice and go with it. If for some reason your experience does not work out, then you learned something and the next time you can choose otherwise.

Bigger tanks -Not necessarily better..just bigger. If you are not bad on air, then the most common AL 80's should be fine. Try it for the first couple of dive days and if you use up a lot of air and feel your dive times are too short, then talk to the DM about it. Also, this may be a question you post to your dive op before confirming your reservation.

Best Dive Sites - My answer is YES ! Again, Best is so subjective... First find and confirm your Dive OP. Second-Confirm your lodging Third-Get on the boat !! Once you are on the boat, what generally happens is the seasoned Cozumel divers will make suggestions. The DM and Captain will then after considering the level of all divers on the boat and conditions at the present time, will ultimately choose the dive sites. For newcomers I would say go with the flow. If you want to make a suggestion I would tell you to say "Anything Palancar, Anything Columbia".. Santa Rosa Wall is also common and interesting dive. Of course, there is also "Please do Paradise for at least one night dive??? " Overall, no worries, it will all work out.

Summer deals - Again a question for your top 5 dive ops

Regardless of where you stay or which dive op you choose, Do have a wonderful Dive Vacation ! Best Wishes !
Sue

If violation doesn't lock anything out, might as well violate it. If you're diving 32% at 100', you're diving a 1.3 ppo. Daily exposure limit of 1.3 is 210 min. Obviously any shallower diving only extends the limit as one can presume you don't spend 210 min per day at 100'. Half-life of O2 is 90 min, so you get a fresh start each day.
I agree but my computer (as best as I can tell) doesn’t. I realize the 90 minute half-life but Oceanic doesn’t, I would like to keep it clean for contingencies. On my last dive a friend programed extra conservative and then used the actual limits (and got a really nice Lion Fish). We did a shared tank for 15 minutes to clear his computer for the next day.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 07:31 PM ----------

Shouldn’t we hijack this thread to which dive ops will handle piss soaked wetsuits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom