Cozumel photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcs3

Reaction score
Cozumel definitely has some awesome looking reefs. Through 5 days of diving I was able to log 17 dives and nearly 1200 underwater pictures - over 70 pictures per dive average! I saw this sign en route to a morning dive and thought it embodied the sprit of Coz -

dive_paradise.JPG

Anyway, in regards to the pictures, Ikelite let me down once again. For the second dive trip in a row I was unable to use my strobe. This time it was a short in the strobe wiring. Such is life. I was hoping to use this trip as an opportunity to learn how to take pictures with strobes, but instead learned how to use the ambient light. I tried to make the best of a bad situation. I mean, how bad could it be? ...I was in Cozumel, after all.

image201.JPG

Additionally, I had the chance to concentrate on macro shots. This is usually a tough objective in Cozumel because of the prevailing currents, but the multiple shore dives had minimal current and provided ample opportunity to hone my skills. One of my favorite subjects of macros were the Condylactis anemones - I believe they were Condylactis passiflora.

image073.JPG

Although the symbiotic cleaner shrimp were very difficult to photograph via macro (they kept pulling back into the anemone), I was able to film a short segment of an anemone blowing in the current. In the video a plethora of symbiotic shrimp are clearly visible. You can view this video by clicking here. Be forewarned, this is not for slow connections. The file measures 4.25MB.

Cozumel always offers the chance to see some strange underwater animals. My very first sighting of Myrichthys breviceps was on this trip and it was kind enough to allow me to get several wonderful photographs. I do believe this to be a full grown adult.

image014.JPG

Another new fish to mark off the want list is the juvenile Equetus punctatus. The individual pictured below was located no more than 5 feet off the shore of the resort. Constantly moving, it was difficult to get a good photo of. An adult was spotted the following day, but their desire to remain fairly well concealed and the lack of a strobe pretty much eliminated any chance I had at a good photo.

image020.JPG

One of my wife's favorite animals to see has always been sea turtles. It doesn't matter how many she sees, or what species they are; she is always enamored with them. As such, I'm always excited to see them as well because every time my wife and I see one I know my wife enjoyed her dive. Cozumel offered many such opportunities, but it seemed none of the turtles we encountered were photogenic for whatever reason. The album has several turtle photos, all of which are about the same in quality - meaning none are terribly special.

image024.JPG

One of my favorite aquarium fishes has always been the Jawfish, but I have never ran across any in the wild. That all ended on this trip to Cozumel. This particular trio managed to gain my attention. I probably spent more time watching these jawfish feed and interact than I spent with any other single species. In addition to the photo below, you can view a short video of Opistognathus aurifrons by clicking here. Warning, not dial-up friendly - 2.24MB file.

image086.JPG

One of the more interesting photo subjects was Bothus lunatus. They almost seemed to litter the sandbed in front of the resort and didn't seem to mind getting some photos taken. Although better photos of this species are included in the album, I choose this one to display because of the interesting camera angel. I love how the eye balls stick out -

image102.JPG

Jeez, this photo is horrible. After all, how can one manage a decent photo of a holed-up Splendid Toadfish without strobes? I guess I'll have to go back to Coz with strobes to get a better photo. Regardless, I include this here because no Cozumel photo journey is complete without a picture of Sanopus splendidus.

image161.JPG

One of the most awe-inspiring moments I have ever had in my life happened when a school of over 50 individual Pomacanthus arcuatus enveloped me for several minutes. They were completely relaxed if not curious of the group of divers. This afforded me th time to get many photos of the group. From macros...

image121.JPG

to the group photo...

image125.JPG

Unfortunately, their close proximity to me did not allow me the chance for a wide angle photograph showing all the individuals of the school.

One of the biggest reasons Cozumel's reefs are so healthy is the abundance of urchins that dot the reefs. Although detested by many of the divers that shared the resort with me on this particular trip, I think they would quickly changed their mind if they had a clue how important these grazers are to the reefs.

image046.JPG

As could have been expected, Urolophus jamaicensis was plentiful on shore dives. Most of those I encountered were alone, but the picture below shows the rare individuals that were paired. In addition to the photos I managed to get several neat videos of the rays gliding across the bottom. One of those can be viewed here. Again, be forewarned, it is a 4.1MB file.

image099.JPG

Another Cozumel can't-miss is the Felipe Xicotencatl C-53 wreck dive. Although not terribly exciting IMHO it was something I was looking forward to doing it for no other reason to say, "been there, done that."

image151.JPG

The coral formations at depth were simply breath-taking. Looking back, I didn't take near enough photos of the wide-angle scenery - a mistake I won't make twice. Additionally, I only took one video at depth, something I sorely regret. You can view that video here (warning: 2.8MB).

image162.JPG

Enjoy all my other photos from Cozumel!

2004 Photo Album (204 images)

Looks like you had a great trip! You wait so long to go on vacation and then it's like "Pooff", over.

Wow...I am getting so excited!! 24 days til we are there!!

BTW - did I miss it or where did you stay and where did you shore dive? And I missed what set-up you were using??

alcina:
Wow...I am getting so excited!! 24 days til we are there!!

BTW - did I miss it or where did you stay and where did you shore dive? And I missed what set-up you were using??

we stayed at scuba club cozumel. besides food lacking taste, it was a nice place, though i do not expect to return.

sorry, i also forgot to post the photo equipment. it is a nikon 5700 with ikelite housing. like i mentioned earlier, no strobes.

henry

I just got back from Cozumel. I was there from July 10 to July 17. I also took over 600mb of pic’s. I liked it but I liked Key Largo better. The current makes it hard to take pics underwater at Cozumel.

mwrager:
I just got back from Cozumel. I was there from July 10 to July 17. I also took over 600mb of pic’s. I liked it but I liked Key Largo better. The current makes it hard to take pics underwater at Cozumel.

Whoooooa!!.....you must have gone to different dive sites than I did in my two trips to Key Largo.........it's nice and I'll go again, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Cozumel

Welcome home. Nice pictures. Too bad about your strobe. We leave for Cozumel in two days for a two-week stay. I'm all packed and ready to go.

Jim (jlyle)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom