Trip Report Cozumel Palace & AquaSafari March 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were fortunate to purchase when they had their 2-for-1 deal - used the week in March and will return in May.

People researching their options may run across this thread with an interest in the Cozumel Palace. It's my understanding from others' posts it's an A.I. resort in town and lacks the sandy sloping beach into the water (IIRC - I've rode past it, never been in it), and has a good reputation but is also known as one of the more expensive options.

Care to describe what the resort itself is like? What good things you enjoy over cheaper options? Every time I looked at their website in the past, I balked at the price, but different people are looking for different things.

Care to describe what the resort itself is like? What good things you enjoy over cheaper options? Every time I looked at their website in the past, I balked at the price, but different people are looking for different things.

You bet! I like creature comforts, so keep that in mind.

The beds are really comfy. Every room has a two-person jacuzzi. I 'think' every room has a view of the ocean (and it's a great view, of course). The rooms are beginning to show their age, but the furnishings are beautiful and the bathrooms are roomy. Each room has a mini-fridge as well as alcohol dispensers.

We don't pay to upgrade to concierge level. Here's what the extra $300+ per week buys you: an essential oil diffuser for the room; L'Occitane toiletries; a menu of pillows (and I've only ever really liked the ones that are standard anyway); a cute jute tote bag to take your stuff to the pool; upgraded choices of liquor in the fridge; chocolates when they do turn-down service; oh, and turn-down service (but I think they'll do that if you leave a tip anyway).

The resort has aromatherapy throughout - which is nice. There are several restaurants to choose from: Momo's is Japanese; Turquesa is Italian; Bugambilias is Mexican; Flamingo's is the outdoor restaurant and they're open for lunch and dinner every night; the other restaurants are only open on certain nights (the schedule is on their app). There is a lobby bar that provides nice cocktails too. The food on the resort is really good - not exquisite, but really good.

They have an infinity pool where they play volleyball and the recreation staff hosts games. The only 'beach' is actually reserved for concierge level members, and it's not much of a beach - no access to the water without going to the pier or the ladders.

Kids club - indoor crafting room set up - but I've seen the staff with the kids outdoors too - I didn't pay attention to what they did, as I'm not in that mindset anymore.

AquaSafari has an indoor office on property, as well as an outdoor area with rinse tubs they fill up as they see the boats coming in. There are two outdoor showers with several shower heads on each. They provide lockers and locks for gear storage. If the package you purchase comes with 1500 credits, those credits will pay for two people to dive for 6 days (110 credits for a two tank morning dive). You will have to pay 16% cash for credits used - and you still have to pay for the marine park bracelet - and nitrox is $14 per tank. Btw, the cash price for a dive is $90, but the 'credit' price is $110. I know that's confusing but it's the way it's done. So you'll pay 16% of $110.

Paddle boards, kayaks, snorkeling gear is all provided - along with staff to help you figure out how to use it in the water. Of course there is a life guard on duty during the day. They provide nice, fluffy towels - you don't need to provide a room number to check them out - no towel police.

Nightly entertainment is nice. I highly recommend the Mexican show - at least the one that's been happening for the past few months. Beautiful Mexican folk music and dancing. I added a couple of songs to my playlist after seeing that show (Rosa de Castilla by Los Folkloristas and La Llorona by Ángela Aguilar are my favs).

The BEST part is the staff. So warm and friendly - they make an effort to remember your name and preferences - after a few trips I have learned some of their family stories and really look forward to seeing them again. Joel is the sommelier and is a joy; Marta is one of the hostesses and is one of the warmest, friendliest people on earth.

AquaSafari - ok, their boats are SLOW (about an hour ride to the dive sites) - but the staff are kind and know what they're doing. Mariano is one of the guides, and he used to own a dive shop - he finds all the best critters and knows his stuff. I always request his boat - don't always get it if he's teaching or otherwise not available. Daniel is also a great guide who I really like. You can also get certified or get new certs added via their shop.

There are a few things you can use your credits for that are absolutely worth it if you have any left over - the wine tasting with Joel is wonderful; the chef's dinner is a treat (that's where I ate grasshopper and didn't complain - it was served with tequila). There's also a Cuzamil dinner that is more about the Yucatan heritage - it was ok - food was good.

They suggest you 'dress for dinner' but have been more relaxed about that lately. If you don't want to bother with it you can always eat outside and never get dressed up at all. Btw, 'dressed for dinner' right now means collared shirts and tailored shorts for men - pretty relaxed. It used to mean collared shirts, long pants and no sandals. We women usually overdress anyway.

Standard toiletries are Chi products - including a hair dryer and hot iron.

Tipping - not required, but we typically tip a couple of dollars at breakfast and lunch, and a little more at dinner - a dollar when we order a drink. But it's completely up to each person, and you will get great service with a wonderful attitude either way.

Location - yes it's close to downtown - which means you can watch the parade line up for Carnival and Day of the Dead from the chairs they set up in front of the hotel; or walk to Rockin Java for a coffee in less than 10 minutes; or go across the street to Chedraui for whatever you forgot (or candies for the boat) or to Cineopolis to catch a movie. Everything is close, which is nice if you want some variety from what the resort offers.

Is the Palace worth the price? I don't know. We have purchased through friends who have ownership. We have gotten weeks that came with no points to use on diving for $1300; we've paid $2500 for some weeks that came with 1500 credits. We got the 2-for-1 for $2300, which was an incredible deal. You can purchase other owners weeks on ebay - do a bit of research on it. Our friends have thought about listing some of their weeks. Each time an owner gets someone to buy a week they get some sort of credit, so it's to their benefit to get you to go to the Palace. So if you know someone who has ownership ASK THEM if you can buy a week through them. You'll be doing them a favor, NOT taking advantage of them! You can also purchase packages through American Airlines vacations - I saw $3600 for two people for a week, including airfare, via AA this morning. Watch for deals.

We have been to the Palace maybe 8 times, and have been asked to sit through a presentation ONCE. We said no, and even though I did notice a look of mild disappointment/disgust, the guy didn't push it. Our experience with Hilton Grand Vacations has been quite the opposite - hard sell every stinking time we go to one of their resorts.

If I think of more I'll add it later - but I think I hit the highlights.

Wow. I think my blood pressure just went down 20 points just reading that. Fluffy towels... mmmmmm.

So glad you wrote this review. I’ve walked past dozens of times and always wondered. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks!

Had me at 'alcohol dispensers' :wink:

Yeah, right? What does even look like? I picture those bulk dried food dispensers at Whole Foods

Yeah, right? What does even look like? I picture those bulk dried food dispensers at Whole Foods

Yeah - it's something like that - with the bottles turned upside down. When I go back I'll video a room tour before we trash it!! :wink:

Yeah - it's something like that - with the bottles turned upside down. When I go back I'll video a room tour before we trash it!! :wink:

That's dangerous. Very, very dangerous. Morning margaritas, martinis on tap.. Good lord.

I love your report! Looking at your pictures makes me think that I need to get a strobe (hint to hubby) for my birthday in July. The colors really pop! Sounds like a relaxing vacation.

re. the Palace, I can confirm that yes, it really is that good! We've been at least 5x (also stayed at 4 other hotels).

Just this weekend, I used the "day after the shot" excuse to lay around in the back yard. All my wife and I could do was remember the great times at the palace; "yes, more tacos", "yes, another mojito", "what time is your massage" etc. Even remembering the servers names and the days' routine. At least we had sun and beer at home!

With her being a non-diver, it really works great. They have nice big balconies to dry gear, then prep and pack in the morning without waking her. Then I go have a nice breakfast and on to diving via a pick-up at the pier (never any issues with that), while she sleeps in, has a leisurely breakfast, and heads for the pool. I'm back at lunch time, and everyone's happy! Love the quick jumps in the ocean, and a chance to get her snorkeling. Actually I have seen a good variety of fish right there.

We always do a dinner or 2 in town just to get out and around, esp. if there's some live music. We like to take other guests who otherwise would not have left the compound and they are always happy they went with us.

From the balcony, June 2019
588206-ee417e449b54d0ad45b43472939f8acd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom