Cozumel or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belize is home to the second largest barrier reef in the world and Ambergis Caye is only a small part of it. While the reef is closer to shore at San Pedro and Ambergis Caye than it is further south, there are lots of dive operators there and the area is heavily dived. There are more pristine spur and groove formations along the barrier reef to the south. The southern Belize barrier reef has some outstanding diving that would take you months to cover if you dived everyday. Glovers Reef atoll is in the vicinity and operations to the south regularly run dive trips there. In addition, there are whale shark diving tours that are run during the full moon periods in the spring (Mar to June). Dive operators in southern Belize will offer these tours. However, it is most accessible from the mainland if you base yourself in Placencia. Placencia is becoming a popular destination for divers and vacationers, and is no longer a well kept secret for many people. With 20 miles of white sand beach on the eastern side of the peninsula, lots of choices of resorts, hotels, guest houses and restaurants, it's a great destination for any vacation. In addition, you can enjoy land based activities like visiting Mayan ruins, Jaguar Reserve hikes, river tubing, kayaking, bird and manatee watching.

I've dived all over Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, and while I love the diving there I haven't seen any "spur & groove" formations as we have up here. Whereabouts in the south are they?

Try Coco View in Roatan. It is just a little longer flight (45 min) from the US than Belize. Been ther four times. Everything boats have to offer but no boat. Twenty dives a week should be easy. No extra charge for night dives every night.

Hi Peter,

I was referring to spur and groove formations found on the southern barrier reef near Ranguana Caye and going south toward the Sapodilla Range.

Sorry I took so long to reply here. How's SP treating you these days?

Anne-Marie

Hi Anne-Marie

OK, that's a bit further south than I've been. AC is OK though a bit quiet these days - the recession is being strongly felt. I don't get wet that often now, especially as I'm back in the UK for a while! When I get back I really must focus on my "new" accounting career, though I'd like to make it down your way some time and have you show me your area.

From the UK it's easily possible to fly to Cancun for two weeks for less than US$300. To get to Belize typically costs US$1800 or more. I spent a few days in Playa del Carmen recently on my way back to England and the prices I saw there, for diving, hotels, meals, weren't much different from Belize. If only we could find a way of getting the airlines to stop shafting us!

Peter

Hey Peter - You got that right about the airlines here in BZ. Recession has affected the tourist industry worldwide, and Belize is no exception. We're all managing just the same, and keeping our chins up. Going the extra mile, giving the best service, and thinking positively.

You're welcome anytime down here in Placencia. Give me a holler when you get back to BZ. anne-marie@avadondiversbelize.com

All The Best - AMM

Just got back from AC (5th visit in 2 yrs) and the recession is hitting hard. only a third of the morrings (sp?) at Hol Chan were occupied whereas a year ago you had to wait for one to open up, drop divers and then make room for the next. even though the tourisim is slow, the people there are still awesome. We tell all our friends about it and are putting together a trip with our local dive shop this summer. I just wish it was a little cheaper to get there...

How about snorkeling just off shore in front of the hotel and seeing things? Which has more? Never mind the snorkeling boat trips as if I'm going to take a boat ride I'd rather dive.

I just came back from Cozumel and because of the wind, visibility was zero from the shore to about 50 meters away! Very disappointing.

what did you finally decide, alisonjones?

Back
Top Bottom