Cozumel or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived both locations and if you are looking for the best dive sites, the atolls of Belize are hard to beat in this hemisphere. If you want a balance of ease to get to, fun restruants, night life, and good diving, Cozumel should be your choice.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Dave

We've been to Cozumel 50 or more times and Belize only once. We love Cozumel and now we also really like Belize. Ambergris had a great little town and as an earlier post mentioned, you can really chill out there. Our opinion on the diving isn't really fair since we've only had one Belize experience, which wasn't all that great. There are lots more fish in Cozumel (all times of year). We went to Belize in November, vis wasn't great (not too bad, but not as good as Cozumel at it's worst) and we had rough weather that made the diving difficult. But, as I said, it was only once and we liked the island so much we will definitely go back. I'd say give it a try and see if you like it also. Something new is usually fun! :)

I'm the reverse of you. I've done thousands of dives in Belize and only a few on Cozumel, but I can say that what I saw on the ocean dives from Coz and Playa didn't begin to compare with the best Belize has to offer. I can think of better diving than either, but IMO Belize is much better than Cozumel (or at least those parts that I've visited).

I have been to to both Belize and Cozumel many times. Most of my Belize dives were with the shop that Peter used to own & we have drained a few beers together. The diving in Belize is very good. The currents are not as strong as in Cozumel so there is a bit more freedom in how the dives go. One difference in Ambergris is there are a few places where the foreigners tend to congregate where in Cozumel you are pretty much on your own.

The bottom line is both Ambergris and Cozumel have very good diving. If you have been been to Coz and not to Ambergris, you owe it to yourself to try the latter out. Its a nice change.

I have been to Cozumel a couple of times before the last hurricanes and the diving was excellent. However, I found the atolls off Belize to be far superior to the diving in Cozumel.

The atolls off Belize have the healthiest, most colourful reef I have EVER seen. The sea life was abundant and we saw many large and small critters. There were tonnes of sea turtles, eels, nurse sharks, eagle rays, sting rays, etc.

What I have heard from people who have been diving in Cozumel after the last hurricanes has not been favourable at all and they were disappointed compared to before the hurricanes. They also did Belize more recently than me, and found it to be absolutely awesome.

Been to both as well, and enjoyed both. If I was forced into a choice, I'd pick Belize, but probably because Ambergris is more fun than Coz, as opposed to the diving.

Check out southern Belize. I worked in Cozumel and have dived plenty in southern Belize and would say that you would not be disappointed. Choose to stay on one of the cayes as the trip out to the dive sites from the mainland every day gets very boring very quickly!

Other than Ambregis Caye, are there any other nice cayes to stay at? My son is a new diver and it can get a little rough outside the barrier reef at ambregis caye

A really nice place is Thatch Caye, a private island resort a few miles offshore at Dangriga, a bit over halfway down belize from north to south. Close to the barrier reef, though not on as Tobacco and Southwater Cayes are. They have their own dive operation with resident instructors. Look it up - it's a lovely place to stay. If you think it's a bit pricey, bear in mind that it's all inclusive and that in any case prices are negotiable when they have space. It's close to superb and varied diving on the barrier reef, from shallow coral gardens insiden the reef (and usually very calm) to sheer walls, and an easy ride to Govers and south Turneffe and not far from south Lighthouse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom