Cozumel or Bahamas Blackbeard in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking about a cheap dive trip in February. Love diving cozumel, was there in October, going again for 2.5 weeks over 4th of July. Would you recommend the Bahamas or Cozumel that time of year? I tend to be decently warm when diving and after. So I dont think cooler water temps are a big detraction from the Bahamas. Intrigued by the sharks in the Bahamas, is February a good time for sightings? Any particular animals more prone to either spot that time of year? Thanks for your input.

Blackbeards will include a shark feed dive... so definitely going to see sharks there. You'll also see turtles and fish and do wall dives and shallower dives and some other stuff. I did Blackbeards last december, did the Cat Ppalu this september, and I'll be back on Blackbeard's next May... A 3mm full was more than enough in late December for me. The reef sharks are cool to see, but the coral in Cozumel is in better overall condition... so it really depends on what you're interested in. I think early in the year can also get you the bull shark dives in Cozumel area, though I could be wrong on that.

When you are deciding what type of wetsuit to bring, keep in mind that you can do a lot of dives on a liveaboard - 4 or 5 per day - so you might feel the cold a bit more then when you are only doing 2 or 3 dives a day in a warmer climate.

Blackbeards is a bargain. It's a no frills, very inexpensive dive vacation, but it is like camping at sea. It's definitely worth doing at least once, especially while you are young. Once was enough for me but we had a great trip. I just prefer some privacy and a few more comforts. I am not complaining, it's good value for the money, and it is exactly as adverstised.

Just so you know, most time there will not be a divemaster in the water with you on Blackbeards except on special dives, like the shark feed. If that concerns you then maybe you should wait a bit before you try Blackbeards.

Blackbeards will include a shark feed dive... so definitely going to see sharks there. You'll also see turtles and fish and do wall dives and shallower dives and some other stuff. I did Blackbeards last december, did the Cat Ppalu this september, and I'll be back on Blackbeard's next May... A 3mm full was more than enough in late December for me. The reef sharks are cool to see, but the coral in Cozumel is in better overall condition... so it really depends on what you're interested in. I think early in the year can also get you the bull shark dives in Cozumel area, though I could be wrong on that.
Thank you, I've never dove the Bahamas so intrigued by the increased shark activity. I have dove Cozumel, and will again for a couple weeks this summer. Not super picky when underwater, happy to be blowing bubbles and can enjoy myself in either local. The shark feed dive is the only downside to the blackbeard trip to me, dont know if I want to support a company that does this. Or if I'm so cheap that I accept it lol. Thanks again for the input

When you are deciding what type of wetsuit to bring, keep in mind that you can do a lot of dives on a liveaboard - 4 or 5 per day - so you might feel the cold a bit more then when you are only doing 2 or 3 dives a day in a warmer climate.

Blackbeards is a bargain. It's a no frills, very inexpensive dive vacation, but it is like camping at sea. It's definitely worth doing at least once, especially while you are young. Once was enough for me but we had a great trip. I just prefer some privacy and a few more comforts. I am not complaining, it's good value for the money.

Just so you know, most time there will not be a divemaster in the water with you on Blackbeards except on special dives, like the shark feed. If that concerns you then maybe you should wait a bit before you try Blackbeards.

I am familiar with 4-5 dive days, will most likely bring a 3mm shorty and full to alternate, may bring a 2mm jacket in case I get super cold. I tend to run warm both in and out of water. I'm from Pennsylvania, so in February 75 degree water and air temp will feel like the surface of the sun for me lol.

When I travel with my wife (non diver) and son, I opt for more comfortable settings. When I'm on my own for a cheap trip like this, I can rough it easily.

I'm comfortable diving the types of dives that I've read blackbeard does without a DM. Even in other locales with a DM, I dive the plan me and my buddy agreed upon. In situations I am not familiar with, or dont have experience with I like to research and then dive with a DM until I am comfortable. But from what research I've done and input from my LDS, the diving there is fairly straight foward. My only concern there is who I would get buddies with. But going solo that is a concern for anywhere. Thanks for your feedback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom