Cozumel OOA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goatfish:
Thanks for sharing that experience. It points out the importance of not losing your head and the importance of good buddy awareness. Time to practice OOA drills. :)

m.
For anyone who hasn't taken a Rescue course, or at least CPR, please do so immediately. I took it this past summer. Like most others, I never thought I'd need it anytime soon. Well, I needed to use it last weekend. Unfortunately, it didn't matter in the end, but the one thing that helps me now is knowing I did everything I could possibly do. In a twisted sort of way, I figure somebody now owes me one and I look forward to the day when I get to do it again and it works!

dartref:
For anyone who hasn't taken a Rescue course, or at least CPR, please do so immediately. I took it this past summer. Like most others, I never thought I'd need it anytime soon. Well, I needed to use it last weekend. Unfortunately, it didn't matter in the end, but the one thing that helps me now is knowing I did everything I could possibly do. In a twisted sort of way, I figure somebody now owes me one and I look forward to the day when I get to do it again and it works!
OMG while you were in Coz...??

Would you like to start a thread about the experience? We're here for ya. You remember the part in the course about delayed stress, god what did they call it...?

Good job WeekendDiver, glad you got to use what you practiced and you did great. I've recently added a 19 cu ft pony for the same reasons you mentioned. If the pony tank gets too difficult for travel, I guess I'll rent a AL80 like you. My only concern is the 19 cu ft changes my balance uw already, I'm thinking the AL80 you sling is gonna be worse on your streamlining and balance. If you can, do share some tips with us on how you keep your balance.
Thanks for the post and dive safely.

This may need a new thread but what are airline requirements with regards to pony / bail out bottles. What is typical fill policy if you take and empty pony / BOB to a Carribean destination.

My wife had her first stage crap out at 100 feet in Coz. It had been serviced twice in the previous 4 months because it came back from the first service breathing like crap.

The DMs said that happens a lot down there. The first stage works at 40 feet at home, and then you take it to 100 feet on vacation and it craps out. Know your service guys really well. We changed brands of regs to get better service when we got home because the local folks were needing to send our regs to shops we were not familiar with for service.

edkibbe:
This may need a new thread but what are airline requirements with regards to pony / bail out bottles. What is typical fill policy if you take and empty pony / BOB to a Carribean destination.
That's often and well discussed on other forums, i.e. Basic Scuba, General Travel. etc

From the TSA site:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

Transporting Special Items
Compressed Gas Cylinders

Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carry-on ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

Our Security Officers will NOT remove the seal or regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. Our Security Officers must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

Please note: Many of the seals/regulators used in paintball are not designed to be removed from their cylinder by the end user. The seal/regulator should only be removed and reinstalled by a factory trained technician.

Passengers considering air travel with a compressed air or CO2 system would be advised to contact its manufacturer for guidance in locating a qualified technician, or to consider shipping the system to their destination via a parcel service.

There are two trim implications when carrying (an 80) sling. Initially I was leaning to the left, which I fixed by moving my weigths (a 3 and a 2 - my backplate is 6, for a total of 11) to the a bit more to the right. (the 3 was pretty much in front, the 2 on the (right) side.
The second trim ramification stems from the fact that al AL80 is essentially positive if it weren't for the valve/reg combo. And they are on top. as a result I was more head heavy / foot light than without a sling. I knew this because I played around with a sling in a pool prior to my trip. I tried to remedy this by using heavier fins (I always wear a hood). I brought my OMSs instead of a pair of Cressis . The OMSs were a tad too heavy though, and I ended up being a little "foot heavy", though not by much. only if I stayed motionless for 30 seconds or so my feet started to sink, but I like to be trimmed very well. It makes life so much easier, and diving to me is about doing as little as possible. Why move if you don't have to?

Are you running pretty deep profiles, WD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom