Cozumel Nightlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving, you will most likely find yourself tired from
the days activities to stay out too late. The first night my
husband and I were there we went into town and had a very good time. We had a stopped at a couple local restaurants and had some very good and very strong margaritas. We also had to stop at the famous Carlos and Charlies. We did pay dearly the next day. Missed our first day of diving! It seemed that when the cruise ships were there that things were more lively, but also more crowded. As much as my husband and I enjoy our "drinks",
we decided to take it a bit easy, so we could enjoy the incredible diving.
Anyway, if you are looking for a loud type dance club, Carlos and Charlies, or Jose Frog are your place.

Have fun!

The night life on Cozumel is there, though somewhat tame compared to Cancun (which is a good thing, IMO).

Carlos n' Charlie's and Señor Frogs have gone upscale, are in the Puta Langosta complex, and are geared to the well-heeled crusero. You'll pay something like 7 bucks for a margarita and 4 bucks for a beer, and the atmosphere is as authentic as any mall bar in the US.

Joe's Raggae Bar was at one time my favorite night spot on Cozumel, but it closed down about 4 years ago; it has since reopened on the waterfront upstairs next to Palmeras (on the north side). It used to be a little hole in the wall back away from the main drag with cheap beer, good local bands, and not many turistas. Now it's on the main drag in what has to be an expensive place for them to lease, but in all fairness, I haven't been there yet.

There is Neptuno, an authentic 70's style disco, complete with red velvet and brass, across the street from the Acuario restaurant at the traffic light on the south side main drag.

There is Fat Tuesday's, on the north side of the plaza about half a block back from the water. It's an outdoor bar with loud gringo music, limbo contests, and drunk turistas gringas dancing on the bar.

There is Hard Rock Cafe; if you've ever been to one, you'll find this one identical to whichever one you've seen. There were both a Hooters and a Planet Hollywood on Coz at one time, but they folded - good riddance.

There are lots of small bars around town where you can get a beer at a reasonable price and socialize; when I go out at night on Cozumel, that's what I do. Your hotel (wherever you are staying) may have a bar as well.

Oh, BTW, you cannot buy alcohol in stores on Sunday (though the bars are open), so if you are stocking a cooler in your room, plan ahead for that. It may or may not be an all day ban; I cannot remember. The liquor stores are closed all day, anyway.

If you want to get away from the cruseros at Lobster Point, Viva Mexico is downtown is usually quite lively. It is probably the closest to a Cancun environment as "flashing" by the young ladies is not only allowed in the bar, but encouraged by the staff during their nightly "hot body contests.

blawler1 once bubbled...
If you want to get away from the cruseros at Lobster Point, Viva Mexico is downtown is usually quite lively. It is probably the closest to a Cancun environment as "flashing" by the young ladies is not only allowed in the bar, but encouraged by the staff during their nightly "hot body contests.

Right, I had forgotten that one; that's the upstairs place on the corner of the main drag and Calle 5 Sur, right? With the wraparound undersea mural on the pillar out front?

That's a good place to grab a beer in the afternoon where you can sit and look out over the water. Great for a sunset, too, but you'll probably want to get there a bit early if you want one of the primo tables along the rail.

I've never been there at night (though I have heard it from the street); a Cancun environment isn't really what I am looking for on a Cozumel evening, but DSFDF.

Back
Top Bottom