Cozumel June 4-9,2011 - just got back report!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JdLag1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For what its worth. Went on family vacation to Coz and stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Myself and my two sons dive one of which just got certified so this was his first "real" dive trip, wife and daughter don't dive. Now that the stage is set, here is my take on it. We we're there from June 5th -9th, missed the invasion because one of my sons who is a Navy diver had to report back for duty. Anyways, all inclusive deal at the hotel which except for the food (marginal) was a great place to stay. Everyone was very accommodating and very friendly. Dove with Dive Paradise for 3 days which was very convenient having them on site. I can't say enough good things about everything we experienced with them. Gregory was our Dive master and was AWESOME! as we're the rest of the Dive Paradise staff. They kept us well hydrated with Fruit snacks and drinks, very nice, helpful and fun, really made us feel welcomed and comfortable. Will definitely be back again diving with them. I could go on and on about the diving part but I think everybody knows about the diving in Cozumel - INCREDIBLE!!! Outside of diving the other thing that I noticed was, with all the things you hear about going on in Mexico we felt very safe walking downtown for shopping and eating day or night. One of the shop owners, who we got to know very well told us that the laws in Cozumel are very strict as far as harassing tourists. He said that it was a $300 fine for the locals whistling at women in a "rude" manner and if any local actually harmed a tourist it was an automatic 5 years in prison. Can't tell you if that is actually law or not but there is a big difference walking around the shopping areas in Coz versus Cancun. Never felt pressed by anyone and just a whole different atmosphere where ever we were. Yes , this was our first time in Coz, can you tell we we're totally impressed? For the families that vacation as Divers and Non-Divers this is the best of both worlds. Also have to throw this out there. I am not big on "Mexican" cuisine, would rather have a grilled steak that tasted and looked like a grilled steak than some of the food that was included in the all inclusive part of the deal. Anyways, there is a restaurant downtown about 1 block south of where the ferry's pull in called La Mission, OMG! The food was incredible and reasonably priced. Again, something for everybody, steak, seafood, Mexican and for me not caring for Mexican food too much they served a chicken tortilla soup that was excellent that was included in the price of the dinner as an appetizer. There was only one thing that we weren't to happy with that happened that we weren't informed about or expecting. Maybe this is well know by seasoned Cozumel'ers but 5 people 5 suitcases there and back cost us another $250.00 we weren't expecting. Will that stop us from going back? Hell no I'd pay it again. Booked the trip with Bay Adventures and just would have been nice to know that up front. Anyways, GREAT trip can't wait to go back!

jdlag1,
thank you for the trip report.
sounds like your family had a blast.
was the $250 for a cab ride or part of your airfare?
regards,

That was to put the luggage on the plane. $25 a bag up and back. Taxi was $6 to downtown from Hotel Cozumel for 5 people. Took shuttle from airport (mistake) 5 people $54.00. Taxi back to airport 5 people $28.00.

That $250 for luggage is going to be airline dependent. I flew there last week on American and paid nothing for 1 checked bag. I've flown Sun country and had to pay. Always check the airline's website to avoid surprises.

Yes, it was Sun Country that we flew. Like I said, booked it through Bay Adventure. Learning as we go I guess but Bay Adventure seemed so thorough with everything else, thought they would have given us the heads up on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom