Cozumel invasion deep sea fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We've got a free Saturday at the end of the week so might as well try to maximize our entertainment time! Does anybody have any recommendations on fishing charters they'd recommend?

I'd like to find a few other people interested in fishing to share the charter. From the research I've done the charters seem to be pretty reasonable!

My personal interest is catching fish. I'm not picky about what kind as long as it's pretty good sized and sporting, and hopefully there will be a lot of action. A fish in the thirty or forty pound range (or bigger) would be terrific.

I'd love to catch a wahoo, I saw one caught on a charter at Port Aransas and it looked like a blast! The only fish I caught on that trip were Vermilion snapper, which probably went a half pound or so, which was pretty underwhelming.

Anyway, if anybody has a review or recommendation, or is interested in going, please let me know!

Thanks for any replies!

I posted this in the Cozumel section to help with your fishing venture.
Do any of the locals or frequent Cozers know of a good fishing charter? A couple of our members want to go fishing on the last day of the Invasion. And could you answer the question in this thread?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...371268-cozumel-invasion-deep-sea-fishing.html

Thanks!

This is what I got back.

Roxanne I go fishing with Monkey from www.scubamau.com he is a phenomenal dive master and even better fisherman. I can get a great deal for whomever wants to go out. Just let me know and I will email Opal. There are lots of outfits but you want to make sure they are booked.

Firstdive2005 will be on the trip with us.
And then there was this post.

My brother uses Hernan Bacelis. I've seen his boat and it is nice. He also runs a local dive shop here on the island (Scuba Planet) and is the Sherwood rep on the island. You can email him at hernanbacelis@hotmail.com I'm looking at his business card but don't see a website. He used to be just down the street from my house but he's moved his business to downtown on 5th and is using the old place as a warehouse.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info Roxanne, I'll email those guys and see what they have to offer. I'd rather go with somebody who has a positive review, for sure.

From the sites I've visited it looks like you can expect to pay between 450 to 650 for a 8 hour trip. Most of the boats say between 1 and 6 passengers per trip.

The prices vary pretty widely between boats.

Overall I'd say I'm pretty pleased by the prices. If we split the cost between a small group I think it's pretty reasonable for a small party fishing charter.

I'm going to bump this to page one again to see if there are more people interested now that the trip is getting closer.

I've emailed a few charters but haven't received many answers. One place, Albatross charters , did reply and they sounded pretty good. The web page is:

Cozumel - Mexico - Fishing - Cozumel Fishing - Albatros Charters

Below is a little about their pricing, which from what I've seen is pretty standard on the island.

We offer private charters. This means the rates are boat rates and not per person rates. We offer 3 different charters tours; a full day (8 hours), 3/4 day (6 hours) and a half day (4 hours) of fishing time. The travel times out are on us and can vary from ½ to 1 hour each direction depending on where the captain will decide to fish. Our current rates are $575-650, $500-575 and $420-475 which includes all taxes. Again, since this is a boat rate, these are all inclusive prices for up to 6 persons. Rates vary due to boat preferences. If you’ve got more than 6 people, depending upon how many, we can add a small surcharge so your party can stay together.

I think this looks like so much fun!

How many people have shown interest in this besides us three? $200 a piece is not too bad depending on the boat and gear. If we can get a couple more that would be even better.

I'll post the rest of the email sent by Albatros for a reference. The date on the reply from Albatross is 2/20 so it will be necessary to get a new quote to make sure the details are still accurate.

It looks like they're pretty much going to take care of everything, from the gear to snacks to lunch to the drinks (including beer). All we need to do is show up at the pick up point. I think they also provide the licenses for the trip but I need to confirm this with the. It looks like a pretty nice deal, and it looks like they make it very easy for the us.

I asked if they had the capabilities to ship the fish we catch back to where we came from. I'd love to bring back about 50 lbs of tuna, mahi-mahi, or wahoo. :)

Thank you for contacting Albatros Charters of Cozumel. We are currently available for charters during your trip to Cozumel in June. In fact, that is peak fishing. We catch and release billfish, but other fish is certainly kept. Sorry, we do not have shipping capabilities on the island yet. However, if you catch a lot, I can vacuum pack seal it and freeze it for you until you are ready to leave for $20 (covers my materials). If you have a chance to look at our web page, you can find it at: Cozumel - Mexico - Fishing - Cozumel Fishing - Albatros Charters. Please read on to learn more about our services and how to reserve your excursion if you like.

For your convenience we will meet you at your hotel pier or a close pier if arriving on a cruise ship. Not only will we customize departure times, but locations as well as charter lengths to meet your preferences.

We offer private charters. This means the rates are boat rates and not per person rates. We offer 3 different charters tours; a full day (8 hours), 3/4 day (6 hours) and a half day (4 hours) of fishing time. The travel times out are on us and can vary from ½ to 1 hour each direction depending on where the captain will decide to fish. Our current rates are $575-650, $500-575 and $420-475 which includes all taxes. Again, since this is a boat rate, these are all inclusive prices for up to 6 persons. Rates vary due to boat preferences. If you’ve got more than 6 people, depending upon how many, we can add a small surcharge so your party can stay together.

To confirm any reservation we do need a deposit of $100 per day, which can be charged on a credit card or you can pay via Paypal. If you do elect to use a credit card please call our toll free number 888.333.4643 or e-mail us your phone number and we will call you directly. The balance for your charter will be due when we meet you on the excursion date in cash, travelers checks or M/C and Visa only. These charges will be processed through Mexico in pesos at the prevailing daily exchange rate.

For the charters we supply all the necessary fishing gear, the lures and the bait. We want to make your trip to the island memorable and convenient. Although our crews try hard to make your day a memorable one with fish, we cannot and do not guarantee you will catch fish. It’s disappointing to customers as well as crew, but after all, that’s why it’s called ‘fishing’ and not ‘catching’. For the most part, all you have to do is just come aboard and enjoy the charter!

We are currently using Penn International and Fin Nor reels with IGFA rated Quantum rods. Or if you prefer you can bring your own gear. All our trips include sodas, purified water, Mexican beers, snacks and lunch (on either a 6 or 8 hour charter).

Sport fishing in the Cozumel area is primarily done with trolling where we use outriggers and down riggers and have a minimum of 5 lines in the water. Generally in peak fishing season (April through July) you can expect to catch sailfish, white and blue marlin, wahoo, dorado(dolphin, mahi-mahi), kingfish, spanish mackerel, tuna, shark and barracuda just to name a few.

For sport fishing the boat limit is maximum six persons.

All our Tours Include:

a.. fishing equipment

b.. tackle

c.. bait

d.. snacks (usually fresh fruit in season) - which you might need to ask crew for assistance

e.. refreshments (water, fruit juice, soda, beer) - which you might need to ask crew for assistance

f.. pick up/drop off (in Cozumel only)

g.. lunch (on 6 and 8 hour trips)

For reservations:

* Only $100 US deposit required to confirm the tour by Visa, M/C, Amex, Discover or PayPal.

* Full balance due on the boat on tour date in the form of cash or travelers cheque only.

* Cancellations due to bad weather and inability to reschedule tour date, full refund is made.

* Cancellations made less than 2 weeks of charter or due to no shows, deposit is non-refundable.

* Cruise ship port and/or date changes do not constitute a refund.

* Refund of deposits do incur a $25 charge to cover administrative costs.

* Once you depart there will be no partial refunds for returned trips due to sea sickness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom