Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to analysis.

1) I already stated that the dive site was poor. A wall is not needed to go deeper than 100'. Pick a site with a sloping bottom. Since that could be in the Palancar area, it also gets you away from the car ferry issue. The second group could have been left with reasonable certainty that they could be picked up by other nearby boats.

2) Inadequate air. 120 cu ft tanks as a minimum. I have no idea how much it would have improved the outcome but it should have been useful.

3) Something must have been marginal about monitoring each persons two buddies. Had they gone into formation with the outside persons watching the other two it would have helped. At some point go into a circle where each person can monitor the other two. Had something like this been done, any descent below the established hard floor (320' ?) would have been detected and caught prior to it becoming as bad as it did.

Would I use my advice to go to 320' on air...nope. It's just my opinion (perhaps all hindsight) that they could have easily made the dive less risky. Not enough for me but less risky for them.

Last edited:
What kind of diving insurance would cover this type of deep bouncing dive in excess of 100m?
DAN Preferred Plan would cover any depth BUT with proper training and equipment.

What kind of diving insurance would cover this type of deep bouncing dive in excess of 100m?
DAN Preferred Plan would cover any depth BUT with proper training and equipment.
Do you know of such restrictions in the DAN North America Preferred plan?

Do you know of such restrictions in the DAN North America Preferred plan?
It is on my DAN Preferred Plan(Asia Pacific).
.....member held appropriate cert. for the dive, and was using appropriate breathing gas mixes and equipment.....

Yeah the SEA plan is different... different underwriter. So in theory the deepest cover for air might be only 55m, and you'd need Extended Range certification for that I expect

From my DAN Europe insurance (which has no stated depth limit other than detailed below):

Recreational Diving means all snorkelling, and recreational Diving Activities carried out by the Insured as stated in the Schedule or Certificate attached to this Policy with or without breathing apparatus whether as a student or not including:
• Compressed air diving in any form;
• Enriched air “nitrox” diving with fixed percentages with an open circuit or a “rebreather”;
• The use of oxygen enriched air or of oxygen to maximize decompression safety;
• The use of normoxic “Trimix” mixtures at depths less than 50m to minimize the narcotic effects of compressed air;

DAN Europe recommends gas partial pressures up to a maximum of 1.6ATA Oxygen and 5.6ATA Nitrogen in the breathing mixture.

• Technical Diving as defined subject to the medically recommended gas partial pressures of 1.4ATA Oxygen or up to a maximum of 1.6ATA Oxygen and 3.95ATA Nitrogen in the breathing mixture.

On written submission of a full dive profile and proposed safety and support measures insurers may
consider providing specific per dive insurance for any dive exceeding 130 metres and/or the maximum
gas partial pressure limits allowed above.

Whichever way this particular dive is classified, I have a strong suspicion that the insurance company would state it was in excess of their stated limits and would not pay out.

I don't know what the other DAN worldwide policies are, but I would guess they would be along the same lines

From the DAN USA Preferred plan:

"Covered Dive means a recreational dive or diving while a scuba instructor, dive master, underwater
photographer, or while performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines
of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists (AAUS). A dive begins upon entry into the water
and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while Coverage is in force.

Covered Diving Accident means DCI or any Injury as the result of a Covered Dive, regardless of the
depth
."

From the DAN USA Preferred plan:

"Covered Dive means a recreational dive or diving while a scuba instructor, dive master, underwater
photographer, or while performing research under the auspices and following the diving safety guidelines
of the American Academy of Underwater Scientists
(AAUS). A dive begins upon entry into the water
and ends upon exit from the water. A Covered Dive must begin while Coverage is in force.

Covered Diving Accident means DCI or any Injury as the result of a Covered Dive, regardless of the
depth."

Could see that bit being the issue here

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom