cozumel in town vs out of town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Having stayed far south of town last June, I just wondered if anybody had any opinions as far as staying in town or even north of town. I'm probably going back in May. I stayed at the Occidental Grand with an all-inclusive so I'm sure one thing would be better food in town. I did enjoy very short trips to the reefs, though. Are there resorts in town/near town with on-site dive operations?

I just got back from my first trip to coz and I would recommend staying in town or close to it. It will give you access to all the great restaurants without having to take a cab all the time. If you want to hang out by the water you just walk to the Plaza Los Glorias and stay on their man made beach on the ocean (which is what I did after dives). By the way they have an excellent happy hour from 4-5 and make a very good margarita. They don't mind you using their facilities. There are many dive operations in town which you can use and there are piers there which their boats leave from. Have fun, I wish i was going again and i've only been back for a little over a week.

My pref is to stay south of town but close in. North, you may have some difficulty connecting with your dive op, in town you may have to fight crowds of cruseros, far south, it's an exensive cab ride and a PITA to get to what are some of my fave eateries on the planet (I don't do AI's).
Scuba Club Cozumel, Villablanca, Caribe Blu, and (the place formerly known as) Brisas are in that zone.

We have stayed north of town in a condo...Very nice places and there are a number of them. Very easy and quick to town and great food. Bad for diving as it takes early rising and taxi flaging to get anywhere early for pick up. We have stayed south at Pres and several times at FA. Great places to stay and very convenient for diving but does take about 15 minutes and 50-60 pesos each way to town for dinner.

Our trip in May we have decided to try Casa Mexicana which is on the south end of town but in town. Will have to grap a taxi each morning to PLG's pier but no big deal. CM is supposed to be a great place that rivals FA and even Pres for quality of service. We'll see. Have a great time.

Plaza Las Glorias or whatever the "fiesta club, Brisas," hotel is called this week.

Julie

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ggun, I especially like your south-of-town-but-close-in idea. I'm going to check out a few of those places. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom