Cozumel in Macro (mostly) with the G12/Ikelite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

Finally got my set through post. 36 shots total all taken Aug 4-11 in Cozumel.

-Canon G12
-Ikelite Housing
-Ikelite DS-161 strobe (single)
-INON UCL-165 for the really small things

Anyway, I'd love to hear comments and constructive criticism. I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Cozumel 2013 - a set on Flickr

Thanks!

-Charles

Settings?

can I expect similar results with DS51, Av TTL?

What I've seen on the iPhone are nice, I have G12 & Ike housing about to get DS51, looking for macro set up.

very nice

I use a combination of setting depending on the shot. That said, most of these are shot at f/8. That's as high as the camera will go and when shooting macro (especially with the UCL-165 fitted) the DOF is very shallow. Without a lot of aperture, the DOF will be too shallow to get usable shots.

Mostly I shoot in Av mode with the strobe in TTL. I keep my ISO between 80 and 400. Mostly 200 and below. I use the CHDK custom firmware so I when I'm in Av mode I can set the shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/250 if I need it.

The camera will do a decent job of macro as-is, but the minimum focus distance may mean you're cropping a lot out of the shot in post. I use the UCL-165 for the really small things.

Thanks!

-Charles

Amazing pictures...thanks for sharing.

I love your photos. They are really beautiful especially the splendid toadfish. What is the seahorse? Will you be labeling them later?

What is the seahorse? Will you be labeling them later?

That's actually a Pipehorse. The labels are on the photos on Flickr. Look down at the bottom-left side of each shot in the viewer.

Not everything is labeled but must are.

Thanks!

-Charles

I want to copy what you did. What adapter did you use for the macro lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom