Cozumel in early September ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In September in Cozumel I dive in swim shorts and a T-shirt, and no weight belt.

Get refundable everything and watch for hurricanes.

Have an alternative destination and plan ready to go.

You can loose dives any month of the year. We lost a day of diving two weeks ago because of strong south winds. I think the fall is a great time of year to visit Coz. I've been in Sept, Oct and November several times. The weather has been great and less crowds as previously mentioned.

We've done it about 5 times. I get CFAR insurance that covers the entire cost of the trip. I haven't used it once but having it means that I don't stress the weather. The water is very warm, the currents fairly predictable, and there's fewer people. It is very humid and the mozzies are out in numbers at dusk and dawn.
Thanks so much, with CFAR you can cancel due to weather? How does that work please?

The problem with Sept is not the hurricanes but that in Aug-Sept the best dive sites are closed.

YMMV...

The danger from hurricanes to Caribbean vacationers is frequently overstated. Even at the height of hurricane season the probability of a hurricane hitting where you are, when you are there, is pretty low. Watch the National Hurricane Center website https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ and be prudent in your planning, of course, but I wouldn't let it scare me away from Cozumel from June until November.

The problem with Sept is not the hurricanes but that in Aug-Sept the best dive sites are closed.

Agreed, we try to schedule our trips around the opening/closures of dive sites.

We love Sept to Nov in Coz. In ten years we had bad weather on one trip. Actually was hit by hurricane and locked in hotel for 2 days. The other nine years we had terrific weather and diving.

Is it worth still going for a beginner ?
Absolutely, yes. Columbia and half of Palancar are closed in August and September but there are a whole bunch of great sites open, many of them probably better for beginners.

Many September trips here, never an issue other than mosquitoes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom