Cozumel in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Bahamas have their own currency. Both TCI and Bhamas are in the Atlantic not the Caribbean Sea. I think the correct answer is it is the "Greater Caribbean" section which includes environs and all areas not on, or an island owned by, a country on the North American, Central American or South American continents.

Tim Ingersoll:
The Bahamas have their own currency. Both TCI and Bhamas are in the Atlantic not the Caribbean Sea. I think the correct answer is it is the "Greater Caribbean" section which includes environs and all areas not on, or an island owned by, a country on the North American, Central American or South American continents.

Agreed...But does it really matter?

I always thought that the eastern side of Cozumel was Carribbean and the western side was the Gulf of Mexico. I don't care what the cartographers call it, as long as they let me dive there!

Giggi:
I always thought that the eastern side of Cozumel was Carribbean and the western side was the Gulf of Mexico...

True, if you substitute "Yucatan" for "Cozumel".

sounds like a lot of splitting of hairs here...putting that aside.

the Yucatan peninsula is the part of Mexico that is a large limestone shelf that sticks out from the mainland of southern Mexico like a big toe. I contains several Mexican states including Yucatan, Quantana Roo and Campeche. Most Yucatan residence almost think of the Peninsula as it's own country and not really part of Mexico proper from what I've observed and read. I also seems from what I've noticed that the people of the upper Mexican states sort of feel the same way, it may go back to the days of the Maya where there territory was the Yucatan and upper Central America and other than for trading reasons were seperated from the rest of Mexico.

Cozumel Island may or may not be technically "in" the Caribbean Sea as the leaward side of the island, the side that faces the mainland has the Cozumel Channel as a body of water and the Caribbean Sea doesn't really start until you get to the most southern and northern parts of the island. Although I'm sure some will argue that the Cozumel Channel is part of the Caribbean Sea, if you look at a really good map, they are listed as seperate bodies of water.

Again, this is just really splitting hairs, the simple answer is that Cozumel is part of Mexico and that is why it is on the Mexico board not the Caribbean Board and the reason the Bahamas are on the Caribbean board is probably because although technically they are there own island chain and in the Atlantic Ocean and not part of the Caribbean, most people think of them as being Caribbean and also most likley for web space simplicity reasons, it probably wouldn't make a lot of sence to just put the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos on their own web page.

Interesting point you bring up about the YP not really being part of Mexico proper. Kinda like here in the U.S. with Texas.:wink: Or on a smaller scale. NorCal and SolCal. :D

sharky60:
sounds like a lot of splitting of hairs here...putting that aside.

the Yucatan peninsula is the part of Mexico that is a large limestone shelf that sticks out from the mainland of southern Mexico like a big toe. I contains several Mexican states including Yucatan, Quantana Roo and Campeche. Most Yucatan residence almost think of the Peninsula as it's own country and not really part of Mexico proper from what I've observed and read. I also seems from what I've noticed that the people of the upper Mexican states sort of feel the same way, it may go back to the days of the Maya where there territory was the Yucatan and upper Central America and other than for trading reasons were seperated from the rest of Mexico.

Cozumel Island may or may not be technically "in" the Caribbean Sea as the leaward side of the island, the side that faces the mainland has the Cozumel Channel as a body of water and the Caribbean Sea doesn't really start until you get to the most southern and northern parts of the island. Although I'm sure some will argue that the Cozumel Channel is part of the Caribbean Sea, if you look at a really good map, they are listed as seperate bodies of water.

Again, this is just really splitting hairs, the simple answer is that Cozumel is part of Mexico and that is why it is on the Mexico board not the Caribbean Board and the reason the Bahamas are on the Caribbean board is probably because although technically they are there own island chain and in the Atlantic Ocean and not part of the Caribbean, most people think of them as being Caribbean and also most likley for web space simplicity reasons, it probably wouldn't make a lot of sence to just put the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos on their own web page.
Is that next to the hatstand?

Back
Top Bottom