Cozumel Hotel/Dive Operation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed a SCC for my first trip to Cozumel 2 years ago. They have both big boats and small boats. I was on the big boat for all trips, but when in the water, it was just a group of 5-6 with the DM. My biggest disappointment was the lack of afternoon dives. You sign up for the afternoon in the morning, but if they don't get enough divers, they don't run the trip. The only time I ended up getting an afternoon dive was when they did the wreck. Of course, this was in May which isn't very busy. In December, it probably isn't as likely. I wouldn't say they have long bottom times. My dives were ~50-60 minutes. My DM, at least let you dive your air so we didn't have to come up early for air hogs. But he did call it at 60 minutes. I liked the convenience of having everything right there, and found the food good.

Second trip, I stayed at Casa Mexicana and dove with a small op on a panga. Not the most comfortable of boats, but it is fast. Casa Mexicana has a free buffet breakfast. I'm in the minority in that I actually preferred SCC's breakfast, but to each their own. I'll be going back to CM for the flexibility in dive ops and the lower cost. I don't know what the shore options would be, though. I travel solo, so shore dives aren't really an option (thus my desire for 3-tank ops).

For dive ops, my research for my next trip uncovered Chili Charters. They do offer 3-tank dives, and night dives. The only other op that I have found that does 3-tanks is Papa Hogs. Chili Charters uses a larger boat than a panga, but still only take a max of 8 divers and it is still considered a fast boat. Their boat has shade and a head. I'm still researching them as I haven't heard anything about them at all on this forum, but they seem like a good option.

One thing to note about SCC: you will be responsible for handling all of your gear between trips, including weights. They have locks and dunk tank, but you will be packing and lugging everything yourself. Many "private" dive ops will handle your gear, some even taking your wetsuit, if you are doing multi-day dives.

Good luck!

If you go to SCC bring a padlock for the storage locker. If you want someone else handling your gear then, like elora_c said, SCC is not the place. But they do usually set up your BCD and regulator etc. on the boat.

If you break down the package price to, say, $60 US per night that comes out to $63 US for each two-tank dive. Breakfast and lunch would probably cost around $7-$8 US per day if you ate at a restaurant. Personally I think having the lockers right next to the rinse tanks is very convenient. The whole operation is very convenient and a pretty good deal. My first visit I stayed 7 nights and did 5 days of diving and they just added it to my package, based upon the package price. If the only thing you want to do on Cozumel is dive then you could stay at SCC and never leave, except on the dive boat which is right there. It's also very peaceful there except for a couple of hours on Mexican Night which I think they do once a week and some people complain about banging tanks in the morning but they must not be divers.

I forgot to mention that..... only divers at SCC. No kids. It is a diver's resort. Meals are arranged around dive times. Breakfast is a buffet.
Lunch is from a menu. Dinner is from a menu. They have you pick your lunch and dinner at breakfast from that day's menus...then when you arrive at the restaurant later, it is fixed for you (no buffet). Dinner includes an app, main course, and fancy dessert. Drinks are extra...but since it is a dive resort, most people rarely have more than one before bed. The place is quiet by 9pm every night.
Yes, they do Mexican night on the beachfront one night a week, usually Friday night. Music and pinata,etc. with a buffet of every kind of Mexican food. It is usually done by 9pm though....not a long loud party.

Don't forget the shore diving at SCC. Grab a tank and do an afternoon, sunset and sunrise dive, 24 hours, you are on your own schedule. It is shallow but easily navigated at night and many critters inhabit the area. We typically do 3 to 4 dives a day, 2 by boat and the rest are shore dives.

By "not divers" I meant non-diving spouses. They will discount the package price for non-diving spouses. The divers don't care about banging tanks because we are all up anyway getting ready to go!

One more thought: when I went back at the same time of the year I ran into several people who go there every year at the same time so it was a nice plus to see people we already knew. Most of the staff was still the same so it was like going home. I met many people who have been going there for many years.

I say you can't beat Tres Pelicano's dive and stay packages at the Casa Mexicana in town. Legendary breakfast buffet included and save a few bucks by selecting a city view room instead of the delux ocean view rooms. Free transport from their dive shop just around the corner from the Casa to and from the boats in the marina, leave ALL THE GEAR YOU WANT WITH THEM and never touch it again until you pick it up to depart the island, and everything San Miguel has to offer is at your feet. Make full use of the 30' long breakfast buffet (with about every offering under the sun and if you don't see it they'll make it for you) and you'll have no interest in eating lunch daily. Snacks during the SI (if you have room for them) will be more than enough. Walk a few blocks down to the Mega and load your fridge with your preferred beverages and cabinet with Mexican snacks to nibble on in the afternoon as you watch the world go by before the toughest decision of the day presents itself... Where to eat dinner? I can't comment on the other suggestions as once we found the Casa 14 or 15 years ago we've had no interest in staying anywhere else. You can also save a few more bucks by staying at one of the Casa's sister hotels in town (the Suites Bahia or the Colonial) you still get the free breakfast at the Casa but have to walk a few blocks to get to it. For us, taking the elevator down to breakfast is worth the extra $15 or $20 a day.

One more thought: when I went back at the same time of the year I ran into several people who go there every year at the same time so it was a nice plus to see people we already knew. Most of the staff was still the same so it was like going home. I met many people who have been going there for many years.
I have had the same experience at Blue Angel. Actually, I am one of those people at BA! Come on, May!

Based on the somewhat spartan room requirements, an off the beaten path option comes to mind. Village Tan Kah and Scuba Shack. It's between Park Royal and Casa del Mar. It's only 8 cabanas. It's a sweet little place with very convenient diving. The owner, Roberta, is very knowledgable about the island, the diving, etc. Continental breakfast, but right across the street from Ernestos, which has a nice, inexpensive breakfast. Common area tv. The dive shop, which has a good locker room and rinse tanks, etc, is directly across the street, right next to Ernestos. It's basically a level step off the dock on to their boats. Convenient shore diving. I've been diving with the shop and they do a great job. They don't have a beach and the rooms don't have a view, though the "treehouse" room might.

You'd have Ernesto's, Casa del Mar and Paprika right there for three nights of dining, and they're all just fine for a night and lunches. It's the same taxi fare to town as Casa del Mar. With a double occ room/dive package, the 5 day 2 tank option is about $300 per person, based on their website.

But if you're foodies, and trying to save the cost and hassle of a 10-12 minute each way ride to and from the square, staying closer to town might be a better fit and if shore diving, really convenient boat diving and proximity to town are high on your list, Scuba Club and Blue Angel are probably better choices than CDM or Village Tan Kah. Of SCC and BA, Scuba Club is considerably close to town. Pretty much anyplace, Casa del Mar, Scuba Club, Blue Angel, Village Tan Kah, wherever, can get the breakfast and lunch job done whether it's figured into your hotel bill or not, and those also provide really convenient diving and shore diving. They can even do nice evening meals, but if going to restaurants at night is your thing and you want to walk to them, being closer to "town" makes more sense. After diving all day, I'd walk from Scuba Club to the square but I'd taxi from Blue Angel. If I was only diving mornings, I'd walk from either.

Back
Top Bottom