Cozumel for a day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WickedWeasel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are stopping in Cozumel on our cruise and will be in port for 12 hours or so. I definitely want to dive, but I really want to go to one of the walls. When I contact the different places, they refuse to commit without doing a private charter. I'm sure most any site will be amazing, but my LDS says they were surprised to hear that the Cozumel dive shops won't commit when I try to make my reservation. Just curious on any input you guys might have. Thanks in advance

For any dive shop to commit to specific sites for a specific day in advance would not only be irresponsible, but it would not be taking the other paying divers into consideration.

Im surprised that your LDS was "surprised" by this. This tells me they are clearly not familiar with how daily boat operations work and the logistics and variables involved.

So unless you are chartering a private boat, it is not a reasonable expectation for you to have them promise specific sites, reservation or not. Depending on who you are checking with, there are anywhere from 5 to 15 other divers in board who also have reservations and are paying for their dives AND most likely who are diving multiple days, not one day. Where they have dive on previous days, their requests and skill level must also be taken into consideration. Sea conditions also change daily so that is another variable in which sites are chosen each day.

However, typically the first dive for most shops is an 80-100ft for the first dive and a shallower dive for the second dive.

I see that you are a new diver. Once you dive some more and experience different places you will begin to understand how it works.

Most of all be safe and make sure to communicate your actual experience with your dive shop of choice do they can do their part to keep you on safe and appropriate dives for your skill level.

Last edited:
Which site do you want to see?

Slightly hostile reply here as a fellow diver who has sometimes shared a boat with one particular diver acting like it's his own private yacht because he paid for 1/12 (twelve divers on board) the cost for use and services.

Trying to get a shop to 'commit' to a specific site your demanding in advance without respecting the other paying customers wishes or dive conditions is pretty bad poor business so I'm not surprised you can't find it. If you want that commitment, pay for a private charter, and weather permitting, you'll dive where you want. Otherwise, it's up to the shop, captain, crew and other CUSTOMERS to decide together.

Regards,
Cameron

I have dove off cruise ships a number of times and I find that it works best to just use the dive ops that the ship is selling. logistics of diving with an op you select can be difficult in Cozumel. I know because I tried it once and it turned out to be less than a perfect experience. I suspect it is that way at most cruise ports, so I just use the cruise dive ops now. In Cozumel, I prefer to just come here for a week and stay. much better, I am here right now for a week :). After you do a 2 tank dive here, you will want to come for a whole week also, I guarantee it.

I'm sorry you took offense at Christi and Northernone. I know they did not intend that. Christi owns a very popular dive op here and would never intentionally offend anyone.

I hope you will still do a dive here! It is awesome! Cheers :cheers:

I appreciate the response, Amoses. I hope you have a great time in Cozumel this week.

It irritates me that you get "hostile" or condescending responses when you come to the board for advice.

The reason I reached out to Christi to begin with was due to the tremendous feedback her previous customers gave.

Oh well, maybe the cruise dive ops is the best choice...

I appreciate the response, Amoses. I hope you have a great time in Cozumel this week.

It irritates me that you get "hostile" or condescending responses when you come to the board for advice.

The reason I reached out to Christi to begin with was due to the tremendous feedback her previous customers gave.

Oh well, maybe the cruise dive ops is the best choice...
You're right, I apologize.
Cameron

Generally for the first day of diving with us we take all divers to Palancar Gardens for a first dive, that way we can "grade" them for subsequent days. We have such a boat almost every day….since we have 9 boats. That might be difficult with a one or two boat operator.

Palancar Gardens is low current, has the majesty of the wall dives but can be enjoyed between 40 and 80 ft by any certified diver. Check with our office for such a guaranty and we usually can work around cruise ship schedules.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

www.aldora.com

PS Going with the cruise ship excursion is not the best suggestion I have seen on this board.

I appreciate it, Cameron.

It's all good. I didn't mean to open a can of worms. Everybody's cool. I can't wait to dive this awesome place...whoever it is that takes me and wherever we go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom