Cozumel divers - what camera are you using these days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the past couple of years now, I have been shooting with an Olympus OMD MKII in a Nauticam housing. It is a mirrorless camera that is a step up from a point and shoot. It's got a large rear monitor so easy for old eyes to see. I am using the 12-50 lens which allows you to shoot wide angle/telephoto and macro if you buy the appropriate port. So that cuts down on much of what you need to haul along and it's not that big a rig. I am using one YS-01 strobe (which I leave in Cozumel; only the camera and housing return to Canada). I also have a flip diopter but don't use it much. I can EASILY fit everything into a decent-sized camera bag which occupies less than 1/4 of my carry-on bag. This is the first Nauticam housing I have ever used (always used the Olympus housings with previous cameras) and I really, really like the housing. The housing cost more than the camera and lens as I recall....

For the past couple of years now, I have been shooting with an Olympus OMD MKII in a Nauticam housing. It is a mirrorless camera that is a step up from a point and shoot. It's got a large rear monitor so easy for old eyes to see. I am using the 12-50 lens which allows you to shoot wide angle/telephoto and macro if you buy the appropriate port. So that cuts down on much of what you need to haul along and it's not that big a rig. I am using one YS-01 strobe (which I leave in Cozumel; only the camera and housing return to Canada). I also have a flip diopter but don't use it much. I can EASILY fit everything into a decent-sized camera bag which occupies less than 1/4 of my carry-on bag. This is the first Nauticam housing I have ever used (always used the Olympus housings with previous cameras) and I really, really like the housing. The housing cost more than the camera and lens as I recall....

Nauticam housings are amazing. Their water sensor alarm and vacuum system really helps give more peace of mind. I still of course diligently manage o rings, etc. No loss of function on camera all controls accessible.

Reactions: MMM
The Canon G7X mark 2 doesn't look like a good choice. Limited housing availability & no flash option on the Ikelite making this the only one available at B & H. Fantasea Line FG7X II Underwater Housing for Canon G7 X 1396 B&H

There’s always Nauticam. :) I would also recommend purchasing from Backscatter. They are very well known in the underwater photo/video housing industry and can also help you out and offer suggestions, alternatives, and solutions.

The Canon G7X mark 2 doesn't look like a good choice. Limited housing availability & no flash option on the Ikelite making this the only one available at B & H. Fantasea Line FG7X II Underwater Housing for Canon G7 X 1396 B&H
Why does that make it not a good choice? That looks like a pretty solid housing. You can get the set at B&H for $1,057.50. That doesn't include off camera flash, but you can go the diffuser/pop up flash route that has worked well for me.

Edit to add:
Flash Connection and Use
  • Dual fiber-optic cable ports in a removable plate enable connection of optional external strobes, which provide enhanced illumination and color correction for better image quality
  • Camera's built-in flash fires to trigger external strobes as slave units
  • If using camera's flash without external strobe, put included diffuser over it to soften it and ensure that it will not create backscatter, glare, or hard shadows

Last edited:
From the look of that housing the flash only comes through the 2 small holes for fiber optic cables. No output for a diffusser.

From the look of that housing the flash only comes through the 2 small holes for fiber optic cables. No output for a diffusser.
It says in the description that you can remove the plate for the fiber optic cable and attach a diffuser.

One could run fiberoptic cables to a strobe with diffusers on it. It's actually a well made housing (Fantasea) and it's a good price for what it is and offers.

Looking at Nauticam's web site their housing is $1100. I don't think it includes the camera & the site isn't working when I select "build a system" Canon Compact Camera Housings

Missed reading you could open up the area for the flash on the other housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom