Cozumel Dive Report Nov. 28

hmm, new to this poll thing... Did anyone find this post useful?

• yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • really boring

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

achu

Reaction score
I decided to try a new dive shop that I´ve never gone with before...

Roberta´s Dive Eco-Cozumel. I´d heard a lot of great things about the dive shop. In fact, I´ve had an open invitation for more than 5 months now from Roberta, to go diving with them.... Today was finally the day!

We had a group of 6 divers and our Divemaster, Jorge. I was surprised to see one of my favorite Captains driving the boat! Apparently, he had just switched dive shops...So, one thing I knew right then, was that the boat would be right there with us the entire time and that Roberta has an awesome Captain. I´d trust my life with Wacho!

1st dive: Santa Rosa Wall. We start on the south end of Santa Rosa. Bummer... no real swim throughs at that side, but we really wanted to avoid the crowd... The visibility was pretty bad and the water was quite murky. Half the group claimed to have seen 2 eagle rays! I was obviously looking in the wrong direction! The currents were mild, but the water was quite cold. After around 20 min, we made it to the section of Santa Rosa where all the swim throughs were. Those were fun. We went over to the shallows to slowly ascend. There we saw a HUGE beautiful nurse shark swim by AND I was looking in the right direction this time!!! We did an unusually long safety stop and surfaced.

The surface interval was a relaxed one at the Sand Dollar pier. They have bathrooms (like that matters to most divers... but for me, during a surface interval, I prefer to use a real bathroom... I´m just not into the "jump into the water and go" while chatting with everyone on the boat.)

What a surprise! Roberta has baked up her homemade banana bread for everyone on the boat! YUM YUM!! The banana bread in itself is worth the trip!

2nd Dive: Punta Tunich. DM Jorge points out 2 toadfish, a moray eel, two tiny tiny little drumfish. I managed to find one red seahorse and a little bitty baby toadfish. Those baby toadfish are so incredibly cute! We find huge lobsters and crabs. Jorge is finding marine life in every coral. What a cool dive! This dive ends all to soon with yet another unusually long 15ft safety stop. This time I swim circles during the stop. I´m freezing and figure that I will need thawing if I don´t start to move around more. I also practice blowing those "bubble rings" with Jorge. I can´t tell whose are worse!

Sigh, it all ends too soon with Roberta´s fast 6 pak boat dropping me off at the pro dive pier.

I would most definately go diving with Roberta´s Dive Eco Cozumel again.

I´d add them to my favorite dive shops out here:
Big dive shops without the crowded cattle boat feeling: Dive Palancar, Del Mar Aquatics
Small Dive shops with medium sized, medium speed boats: Pascual, Studio Blue
Small Dive shops with fast 6 pak boats: Michelle´s Dive shop and now Roberta´s Dive Eco Cozumel

Of course, there are also plenty of really good freelance divemasters and instructors on this island that I would also highly recommend...and there are a bunch of other dive shops that i´ve heard great things about, but have never gone diving with.

If you guys like, I´ll keep writing dive reports as I go.

I love your reports! I remember when you first started diving and your continued enthusiasm is very refreshing. This report has some very interesting details. It took me several trips to figure out the south end of Santa Rosa wasn't where the swim thus are. And in all my hours underwater in Coz, I've never seen a baby Toadfish!

Your assessment of the dive operators is very usefull, especially to those just starting their affair with Coz.

Yes...please keep reporting your adventures in Coz. It's nice to 'see' it from one who lives there.

I was just wondering.....

I did my AOW while in Coz. I was diving with Aldora Divers and Jorge' was my instructor. Could this be the same person?

If it him.....

He is BY FAR the best DM I've ever had. He literally knew every piece of coral, where every moray was hanging out and which site would be best for that days conditions and diver's experience levels. If this is the same Jorge' I know the kind of dive experience you had. After checking my log book I've made 12 dives with him.....

good report

Todd

I have dove with Pasqual's Scuba Center in the past and had a great time. I hope to dive with them again this January. Their boats are fast enough to get to the dive spot but large enough to be comfortable and not get tossed around on the, sometimes, bumpy ocean.

I have been to Cozumel four times and they were the best. Pasqual is a very nice guy.

I have dove the Santa Rosa Wall with one of those so called cattle car dive boats, maybe it was when I went or I just seem to be lucky but we really had a great time and it didn't seem as crouded as I've always heard.

I have found the best time to go to be the week just before Christmas. The rainy season is supposed to be over, although we had quite a rain two years ago, and the crouds don't seem to be there yet.

Back
Top Bottom