Cozumel Dive Boats/Dive House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gil

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Who has the best dive boat/Price combination there? I was told the Dive House. Any comments?
Thanks

Gil

My favorite dive operator is Caballito del Caribe. Most all of the operators charge about the same thing...$55-65 per 2 tank dive. You may get a break going with a hotel/dive package but price isn't everything. Caballito's has excellent divemasters who have been with them for years. all are very knowledgeable of the environment and find the most amazing things. Very safety conscious and eager to please.

I've tried Dive House a couple of times and didn't care for them very much. Too many people on the boat, strict bottom times geared toward beginners. Just my opinion.

Dee,
Sorry to hear your experience with Dive House was not good.
I dove with them last Aug., and the # of people per boat, "flexibility' of dive times, and the focus was at the more experienced level. I did see other boats that were more loaded with people.
Who knows, perhaps a different week, different boat, different DM, or just plain luck makes the real difference??
Take care,
Mike

Originally posted by miked
Dee,
.....Who knows, perhaps a different week, different boat, different DM, or just plain luck makes the real difference??
Take care,
Mike

Could be! Dive House has been in business a long time so it's a very good chance the times I've used them, they were just having a bad week!

We have used Dive House on two different week long trips (stayed at Fiesta Americana - made it easy) ... Once in June'2001 and recently in Feb'2002 ... in both cases we were very satisfied.

It is true that Dive House has a couple of very large boats, but they have a couple of smaller ones as well ... DiveHouse IV is our favorite - it accomodates 8 divers, has a covered area and a head.

Our experience has been that once you have established with the DM that you are not 'novice' divers, they would let you dive your computer or air supply ... generally they have always indicated at the start of the dive that they expect the profile to be "40minutes and 60feet" as an example, but in every case (close to 30 dives with them I guess) we have been allowed to stay down until one of us (ME --it's ALWAYS ME!!!) gets to about 500# and then I signal the DM I am headed to the surface - and my wife stays down until she is also short on air (I always indicate we want to do this BEFORE the 1st dive with the DM) ... TYPICALLY she is the last out of the water with the DM ... when there are several others on the boat ... they generally surface in pairs ... the boat is always right there to do the pickup ... the DM always keeps a watchful eye during my ascent (solo) and I am careful to stay above the remaining divers as I ascend ... (granted current can screw this plan up to some extent but the vis has always been so good it has never presented a real problem) ... the crew always asks the 1st time "where's your buddy??" I explain that she is with the DM and after that it is smooth the rest of the week ...

I have to say that we have only had three or four different DMs total with DH (which I guess is a good indicator that they stick with them) and our favorite is "Alex" ...

So ... MY experience has always been good with Dive House ... I DO want to try "Living Underwater" sometime just to get more bottom time and have the experience of those DM's but .. I think Dive House is a reliable and safe operation without being overly restrictive.

Bade

Back
Top Bottom