Trip Report Cozumel- December 20-31, 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you had a fine trip. Since you've been more than once and tried some different things, a few follow up questions:

1.) You usually do the 'bag drag' instead of fly directly to Cozumel. In terms of total round trip transport costs when things are normal (e.g.: not reduced airfare due to pandemic), how much do you figure you save per person doing the bag drag, and is it worth the hassle?

2.) You usually stay at Suites Colonial and walk to Casa Mexicana for buffet breakfast (again, outside the pandemic). S.C. offers a kitchenette and is cheaper; C.M. is more conveniently located and still a pretty economical place. Should you get to go back at standard rates in the future, got a preference? People researching for trips like to know what they get/give up for how much price difference.

Glad you got to try diving with Tres Pelicanos a half-day.

Thanks for mentioning the Indian food place (and location!); I like Indian food, too.

1.) You usually do the 'bag drag' instead of fly directly to Cozumel. In terms of total round trip transport costs when things are normal (e.g.: not reduced airfare due to pandemic), how much do you figure you save per person doing the bag drag, and is it worth the hassle?

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'd like to weigh in. That bag drag, especially if Southwest is flying to CZM (late March again - yay!) isn't worth it. Even if you save $100 each you still have to fork out the ferry fee, taxi fee to the ferry and to your hotel, tips (don't forget tips) for porters to get bags to the ferry if your stuff is too heavy to lug, then tips for taxis - and the same for the way back - and you have to leave SO early on departure day to do that same bag drag back to Cancun. Ugh. And your time is worth something too - and it's 'vacation time', which, IMO, is premium time. I don't want to spend vacation time worrying if we're going to miss the ferry and have to wait another hour or more (much more during covid). I know I may sound whiny, but my husband probably feels MORE strongly about not doing the bag drag! One time we got caught in a huge downpour getting on the ferry to Cozumel - the heavens opened and we were waved through security without having to put our bags through the scanner because the downpour was THAT heavy. We arrived at our hotel soaked to our underwear. We had water INSIDE our bags!!!

Ok. Done whining. Looking forward to Southwest flying to CZM again in the spring. :)

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'd like to weigh in. That bag drag, especially if Southwest is flying to CZM (late March again - yay!) isn't worth it.

The more the merrier. Seriously, if people researching a possible Cozumel trip find this thread, the more perspectives they can find the better it is. When I was researching my trip before, trying to wrap my head around the 'bag drag' was one of the hardest things. By its nature, there are different approaches one could take to getting there, 'more than one way to skin a cat,' as they say. Southwest flew to Cancun but not Cozumel then, IIRC, so free baggage was a discriminator. Dave Dillehay (IIRC) pointed out sometimes one can fly direct to Cancun whereas a flight to Cozumel would require changing flights at a hub (one more thing to go wrong if traveling in winter when flights could be delayed or cancelled).

I can see where a family on a tight budget who knew just how to go about it might find it worthwhile. Now me? I flew direct to Cozumel. I like things straight-forward and simple. My idea of 'adventure' is an unexpected shark cruising by, not travel drama.

If you’ve flown into CZM a dozen or so times, it’s inevitable one would try the bag drag...like the Blue Hole though. One and done.

Anyone have any tips on diving sidemount in Cozumel?

I am bringing my XDeep Stealth Tec, and my regs, etc...and just looking for even just 2 AL80s per dive.

Is this something folks in Cozumel deal with all the time, or none at all, or should I just contact the dive service I am going to dive with...but that is still TBD....we going next Aug and that is all that is known so far

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'd like to weigh in. That bag drag, especially if Southwest is flying to CZM (late March again - yay!) isn't worth it. Even if you save $100 each you still have to fork out the ferry fee, taxi fee to the ferry and to your hotel, tips (don't forget tips) for porters to get bags to the ferry if your stuff is too heavy to lug, then tips for taxis - and the same for the way back - and you have to leave SO early on departure day to do that same bag drag back to Cancun. Ugh. And your time is worth something too - and it's 'vacation time', which, IMO, is premium time. I don't want to spend vacation time worrying if we're going to miss the ferry and have to wait another hour or more (much more during covid). I know I may sound whiny, but my husband probably feels MORE strongly about not doing the bag drag! One time we got caught in a huge downpour getting on the ferry to Cozumel - the heavens opened and we were waved through security without having to put our bags through the scanner because the downpour was THAT heavy. We arrived at our hotel soaked to our underwear. We had water INSIDE our bags!!!

Ok. Done whining. Looking forward to Southwest flying to CZM again in the spring. :)
I prefer to fly into CZM but sometimes the difference is much more than a couple hundred each. Plus there are many more daily flights to CUN, I can get to the island sooner in the day by catching an early morning flight to CUN. The choices getting there is just one of the reasons it is such a good destination.

Nicely detailed report Trailboss. Your flexibility in trying different travel options, hotels, restaurants and dive operators leaves you and Mrs. Trailboss with new memories! The pictures are great. Thank you for sharing.

If you’ve flown into CZM a dozen or so times, it’s inevitable one would try the bag drag...like the Blue Hole though. One and done.
Agreed. I did it once and I won't again. Getting there wasn't too bad, but getting home was a real pain. Of course, everyone's situation is different; what works (or doesn't work) for me will certainly not apply to everyone.

In my case, no non-stop from Newark to Coz. Choices are stop overnight in Houston or Bag drag thru Can. I've done both. Will only fly thru IAH from now on. The logistics are just plain easier through Houston. Getting home is a giant pita through Can. And going back does not necessitate an overnite in Houston for me.

Glad you had a fine trip. Since you've been more than once and tried some different things, a few follow up questions:

2.) You usually stay at Suites Colonial and walk to Casa Mexicana for buffet breakfast (again, outside the pandemic). S.C. offers a kitchenette and is cheaper; C.M. is more conveniently located and still a pretty economical place. Should you get to go back at standard rates in the future, got a preference? People researching for trips like to know what they get/give up for how much price difference.

Glad you got to try diving with Tres Pelicanos a half-day.

Thanks for mentioning the Indian food place (and location!); I like Indian food, too.

great questions Richard. In the last number of years, the price difference x two people from the PNW has been significant enough that the bag drag has been worth it for us. Also, we have the time difference challenge, which means getting into Cozumel directly always requires an overnight stay in Houston, as we can’t get in early enough to make the connection. Whereas we can get to Cancun and Coz in the same day with Southwest or Alaska. That being said, it was such a joy to fly directly to the island this time. I forgot just how easy and painless that is and as others have said, the return will be much welcomed! 8 minute drive to the airport and off.
It is such a personal question for each person, but after this trip, I’d pay $300 more per person to fly right into Cozumel and enjoy that convenience. I have the luxury of free reward nights at Marriott and so, I don’t feel that extra pinch of expense spending the night there on the way down, that others might, if they had to overnight. As Kimela stated, there is a fair amount of time, fatigue and cost associated with the bag drag that should be taken into account.

As for question 2, I could go either way. Definite pros and cons in the hotels. I love that balcony and water pressure at Casa Mexicana. I actually like the Suites Colonial location better. It is on the pedestrian only street near the Central Park. And the price difference can be as much as $40 a night at certain times. That adds up over my typical 10-12 trips.

What I’d really like to do is find 4 other compatible people or two couples and go in on a 3 bedroom condo at El Cantil. Waterfront across from Mega and get picked up at their pier each day. that would be ideal!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom