Cozumel blenny?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorrows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
top view.jpgwhat is this2.jpg

Saw this little fellow today during a shallow dive in Cozumel, exhibiting very typical blenny behavior (which is why I couldn't get a decent shot). I thought it was a Saddled Blenny, but now I'm no so sure--consulting my Humann/DeLoach, it doesn't seem like the stripes are right. The body looks thick, but I think that may be just the close-up view. Is it possibly a juvenile of another family?

Help! This is driving me loca!

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 106
Redspotted Hawkfish. The body is too deep to be any blenny we have around here. Look for the spots on the face, the distinct 'Eiffel Tower' body bars, and the cool tassels on top of each dorsal spine.

Thank you so much, LouisJ! I never even looked in that section of the book (odd-shaped bottom dwellers) and didn't get a look at his tail or whole body. As I said, I was going by his blenny-like behavior; perching and skittish. And now all I can say to myself is "d'oh!"

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom