Cozumel, Belize, or Bonaire for Novice Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to go with Belize. My company has an office in San Pedro and I am there often, sometimes with my fiancee who doesn't dive. But when I am diving she has no problem enjoying the wonderful city of San Pedro. People are very warm and friendly there and she always has a great time.

I have heard that the coral around coz has taken a beating, some from the hurricane but mostly from the masses that travel over, and sometimes THROUGH them in droves.

For those of you who have been to both coz and either AC or Roatan, how do the coral life compare. Which has the more vibrant soft coral?

Right now my BUDGET is steering me toward coz since it is so much cheaper from minneapolis...but my heart is really set on AC or Roatan.

I have checked out AKR on Roatan and it looks like it has a good beach and great diving. However, is there much else to do on Roatan for a non diver?

AC is tugging at my heartstrings because of San Pedro's lure and again great diving. san pedro seems like it would have plenty to keep non divers occupied.

Which has the better beach/pool areas AC or Roatan?
Which has the better novice diving (90ft or less with limited current)

I know it is a lot of questions, but I want to make the right choice for both myself and my non-diving wife.

Right now my BUDGET is steering me toward coz since it is so much cheaper from minneapolis...but my heart is really set on AC or Roatan.

I have checked out AKR on Roatan and it looks like it has a good beach and great diving. However, is there much else to do on Roatan for a non diver?

When I was doing research for a trip to Roatan, which got canceled BTW, I came up with the following links that may help.

Dive Bay Islands
Oak Ridge Tours - Roatan, Honduras CA
Bay Island Airways Packages Roatan
Submarine Idabel, the "Yellow Submarine" - The Most Exciting Roatan Shore Excursion, Bay Islands Honduras
Roatan Day Tours – Cruiseship Tours with Theris Dixon, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy - Roatan, Honduras
Home
Roatan Honduras Shore Excursion Tour of Oak Ridge and Jonesville Mangrove Tunnel | B.J.s Backyard
Sailing Charters on Roatan

Can't vouch for any of them personally, but they looked interesting.

With regard to air travel you might want to look at flying out of Houston IAH on Continental. I found that the cost to get to either Coz or Roatan was about the same.

I just came back from Bonaire. Diving-diving-diving. Not much else to do. Night life is very little, one bar in downtown by peer serves alcohol to Dutch speaking teens. Some locals there too. Beaches are not that great, not easy to get in and out. But water is clear and very warm. Reefs are the best I've ever seen. Coz has nothing on Bonaire. Don't know about Roatan or Belize.
But for non-diver Cozumel would be the best. Depends how many dives you planning you can stay either on mainland or on the Island. They have some very good AI hotels with sandy beaches. Beaches are better on mainland, but people say Allegro on Coz has very nice beaches too.

I just came back from Bonaire. Diving-diving-diving. Not much else to do. Night life is very little, one bar in downtown by peer serves alcohol to Dutch speaking teens. Some locals there too. Beaches are not that great, not easy to get in and out. But water is clear and very warm. Reefs are the best I've ever seen. Coz has nothing on Bonaire. Don't know about Roatan or Belize.
But for non-diver Cozumel would be the best. Depends how many dives you planning you can stay either on mainland or on the Island. They have some very good AI hotels with sandy beaches. Beaches are better on mainland, but people say Allegro on Coz has very nice beaches too.

Ok, here we go again....first Bonaire DOES offer much more than just diving!!!!! As I diver before I lived here, I would have agreed with you. My schedule was up in the AM, a little oatmeal, brush teeth, wash face, pull hair back in ponytail, suit on, then dive north...stop for a snack in Rincon, back to hotel change out tanks, dive again, some evenings just get a snack, then night dive...then back to room, shower, crash and repeat.

The thing is if you book your trip CORRECTLY you can easily accommodate a non-diver with MANY things to do! MMMMMMMMMMMM...... If I remember correctly didn't I write an article about this a few years ago for SB??? Maybe it's time to do an updated one!!!!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom