Cozumel Batteries checked or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of creating a new post, I will resurrect this one from a couple of yrs ago. (Seems like the latest thread on the subject).

DEPART COZUMEL BATTERY PROTOCOL - AUGUST 2020
The last I read was from COZ to USA, all spare (not in dive computers, flashlights, cameras, watches, laptops, etc) now go into CARRY-ON. Forbidden to place in checked bags.
Is this still accurate?​

I am flying with three (3) 18650 rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries that I have in a quart-size plastic baggie, along with two (2) AA alkaline batteries.

I recommend wherever you carry them, ensure they are only 30% or so charged and traveling with them in a fire proof LIPO bag.

I recommend wherever you carry them, ensure they are only 30% or so charged and traveling with them in a fire proof LIPO bag.

Thanks. Kind of late for that. I am leaving in a couple of hours.

I just called American Airlines and they confirmed all Li-On batteries must be placed in carry-on in a plastic baggie that is taped around the middle.

We’ll see!!

I got through to the gate with no issues at all. There’s hardly anyone at the airport. I was the only person at the x-ray line. They didn’t blink at the batteries in my carry-on. The baggage check-in folks never asked me about it either.
All good!

i carry 8 x keldan li-ion batteries in my carryon + 2 x DJMavic Pro batteries and a variety of Nikon batteries and other 'partridge in a pear tree' batteries all carryon. (there is apparently a limit, but its a size limit and i've never hit it)

the correct procedure is to have them in carryon for any flight in/from North America/Europe and the middle east as far as i am aware. Ive never heard anyone suggest they shouldn't be in carryon.

the 'didn't blink at my batteries' is a little akin to 'Got through security with clothes on' :) it's the correct procedure :)

have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom