Cozumel Batteries checked or carry on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wsr523

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Two years ago when we were flying out of Cozumel we were told that our cr2 and disc size computer batteries needed to be in the checked luggage which is opposite of when flying out of the US. The threads I found on this are old. What has everyone been doing with their batteries lately?

As of a month ago (August 2018), loose lithium ion batteries and devices with them installed went into the carryon. Other loose batteries (AA, AAA, CR2, button batteries) went into checked luggage. I specifically asked at the airline check in. This was consistent in 2016 as well. Your mileage may vary.

Excellent! Thanks for the info.

They have a sign up now saying all lithium batteries in your carry on like in the US.

And just when I think I have it straight. The last time I was there (2017) it was in the carry-on when boarding in the US, and in the checked bag when boarding in Mexico. So now it's carry-on for both? ?Estas seguro?

And just when I think I have it straight. The last time I was there (2017) it was in the carry-on when boarding in the US, and in the checked bag when boarding in Mexico. So now it's carry-on for both? ?Estas seguro?

Apparently they have thankfully aligned with the TSA. I was there 2 weeks ago cave diving in Cozumel and my buddy flew in and out of Cozumel and I went via Cancun. Both of us had numerous batteries in our carryon on the return flight.

Looks like I'll be putting all the batteries in my carry on. We head back home on Monday and I'll let ya'll know if we have any problems.

Those "coin cells" technically are classed as "lithium metal" batteries, as opposed to the rechargeable kind. The two different kinds are regulated differently, and the regs have changed several times, so I'd suggest you check with the carrier and the "Mexican TSA" specifically for lithium metal batteries. Probably best if they are still in the original retail blister packaging, too.

Sometimes batteries can be carried if they are in the equipment, but not if they are not installed in it. Again, you need to check, and print out the reply to carry with you, in case the inspector is either behind the times or trying to collect a little mordida.

My wife and I are back home from our recent Cozumel trip. Thought I would write a quick post on how we did with our spare batteries we brought back. Before we checked any luggage I walked over to the TSA scanning area and showed the person there our bag of spare batteries which we're the coin size and cr-2 type batteries. She pulled someone from the scanning area to look at them and they both said no problem in the carry on luggage. As other people have said, your experience may be different depending on who is doing the scanning on that day.

The August 2018 gospel according to the TSA.GOV web site:
"
Batteries Allowed in Carry-on Bags:
  • Dry cell alkaline batteries; typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button sized cells, etc.
  • Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
  • Jump starters with lithium ion batteries.
  • Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
  • Consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
  • Up to two larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size. Lithium ion batteries that are between 101 – 160 wh are allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval.
  • Lithium metal batteries (a.k.a.: non-rechargeable lithium, primary lithium). These batteries are often used with cameras and other small personal electronics. Consumer-sized batteries (up to 2 grams of lithium per battery) may be carried. This includes all the typical non-rechargeable batteries for personal film cameras and digital cameras (AA, AAA, 123, CR123A, CR1, CR2, CRV3, CR22, 2CR5, etc.) as well as the flat round lithium button cells."
In case you are wondering, a brand name C-cell could be 6wh each, and a brand name D-cell could be 15wh each. But since "flashlight" batteries vary widely in power, and it is never printed on them, exactly how any inspector would evaluate them against a 100wh limit is shooting craps. Lithium-ion batteries typically have a power rating on them, lithium metal (coin cell) batteries do not, but you'd need an awful lot of them to reach a point of concern. (Like a case or carton, not just a bubble-pack strip.)

A shallow web search indicates the Mexican authorities don't care who flies with what, but in the case of US-bound passengers they often follow TSA guidelines. And are presently concerned that you don't fly with more than 12 ounces of any "powder" unless (yada yada) per TSA request. So, not a pinch over 340 grams of cocaine, gringo.

Back
Top Bottom