Cozumel an inherently dangerous place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlubber:
i don't have the luxury of paying much attention to anything else but getting rid of the pinch on the way down.

Landlubber,

Not to sound like a preacher and I'm not a professional by any means but "paying attention to everything else" is not a LUXURY when diving it's a neccessity. I'm sure others on the board will agree with me. It might require slowing your descent, if you are getting to depth before your buddy maybe you are going too fast. You should always try to descend with your buddy, that's the whole idea behind a buddy, it might even help your ear clearing problem. Like I stated before if you had been with your buddy you might have noticed your faulty guage sooner.

If your buddy is aware of your ear clearing problem, which they should be, and still chooses to dive with you then it should not be a problem to them if you have to descend slowly, they have already accepted it.

My daughter has problems with her ears. I just hang on to her BC and let her control the descent pace.

TS

Ditto to what DIVEMUCH said. My mistake was I went back a second time.

I remember an incident at Santa Rosa where the divemaster from another operator came back saying the women had INSISTED on diving Santa Rosa that day, and they were the only ones that did because it was said the conditions were obviously "black" there. I fault a divemaster who gives in to an obviously unsafe dive; specially if insisted upon by novices. I've always told my divemasters they are paid to know better than the clients, and they can bring the clients back kicking and screaming; but they have to bring them back.
Mother nature is a strong and often unpredictable force, but experienced captains and divemasters can minimize the unpredictable aspect. Divers need to be taught to respect mother nature, and to listen until they've learned; otherwise it's the blind leading the blind and it does not matter where your friend said you HAD to dive while in Cozumel.

As far as the bends are concerned I see so many fools on drinking vacations with diving on the side. As an operator you have to be willing to say NO, I'll survive without your money because I won't take you diving hung over and stinking of booze. I'd rather starve first; than have it be my fault you got bent.
If people would only please know how much lead weight they need, perhaps they would not blow right through their safety stops and get bent. Properly weighed, they might achieve controlled ascents, but in reality MOST novices ask for way too much weights, not having a damn clue of what they need, and when they blow through the safety stop with a bunch of air in their BC's and then they ask for MORE lead until they get hurt. A good divemaster teaches those cruising for a bruising to dive, get them properly wighed so they don't play elevator with their inflators, and achieve controlled ascents.

Well..... this is getting long and I know I'm venting but if you have not dove in a while, do a refresher instead of lying and bluffing and hurting yourself. Did'nt they tell you you can get hurt when they taught you to dive? If they'd have said that, (hello PADI) you MIGHT have paid attention; figured out what's important to understand and remember. Too many instructors are selling cards instead of good courses........ ad nauseam, Amen.

Cozumel is not dangerous, it's the divers that don't know what they are doing that put divemasters at risk. Stay tuned for a fit on "fitness for diving" - better yet read Dr. Fred Bove's book on the subject.
Growl.

Cozumel is no more dangerous to dive than anywhere else in the world. Safety is always in the divers' hands -- be adequately trained, be adequately fit, make sure you have the right gear and that it is in good working order, and choose a safe dive operator. With regards to the last point, I couldn't recommend anyone more than Aqua Safari.

wow... this thread WAS 6 years old until today. :rofl3:
You've never reread a book?

Back
Top Bottom