Coz pros on way to PI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Cozumel pros visiting PI for first time in August. We would very much appreciate any suggestions on MUST DO dives that does not include photography (we get too much of that in Cozumel). Don't want to spend next years profits on a hotel but want decent. At this point we have heard that Palawan El Nido is the place but the hotel rates seem pretty steep.

Any suggestions with reasoning behind it would be appreciated, or barter for hotel and diving in Cozumel would look good for us.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There is NOT much good diving in El Nido. The resorts are expensive because they are on private island.
Try Anilao(macro), Coron(WWII wrecks), Dumaguete(macro), General Santos(slightly off the beaten track, but safe), Malapascua(thrasher shark), Puerto Galera(bit of everything). There are others as well.

Who's going to mind the store in COZ while your off to the PI Dave?
I have done Anilao many times as well as Puerto Galera.
I enjoy them both, but they offer different stuff. It depends on what you like to do.
Anialo area is quite, not much going on at night, you are going to stay and eat in the hotel as it is to far to walk.
Dive sites are anywhere from a few minutes to 45 minutes from the hotels.
Puerto has quite a few restaurants, shops, bars, groceries, etc., can stay as little as $15/night to well over $100 night.
Most dive sites are 10 minutes away from the dive shops.
If you do indeed go to Anilao or Puerto, I would be happy to provide with any information I have.

Dear Blue Steal,

Wathca doin' in PI? I thought you was a Coz junkie now!

It looks like Puerto Galera may be the best choice. Are there any sandy beach front resorts there? Give me the full scoop if you can.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Memo and I will have Julio and Julian run the dive shop for us and our hotel staff will stay in place.

Will be in COZ in October, but I have family (lots) in the PI. My wife has a house 5 minutes from Anialo.
I enjoy anialo but it costs a bit more to dive there than PG. You must hire a boat, them a DM, then rent your tanks x 2 and weights.
Not much choice on food as each resort is located far enough apart that you would not walk and the cliffs are steep so you will pretty much just stay at your resort. Most are smaller maybe 20 rooms or less.
PG is fairly easy to get to from Manila. Once at the Batangas pier, just use the ferry over to where you are headed, if it's Sabang, then take the ferry to Sabang. Pretty cheap, just purchase one way. Have a porter haul your gears on & off the ferry and even watch your stuff while you enjoy a smoothie at Eddies Place. Porters are a good deal, maybe $1, save your back.
I don't care for staying in Sabang myself, I stay over in Small LaLaguna as it is quietier and more laid back. Big LaLaguna has a nice sandy beach and a couple of nice restaurants as well. There are a few diveops in big laguna. You can walk from big to small to Sabang fairly easy.
I enjoy the point bar for a drink as the view is outstanding and they have the thursday night b-b-q which is good.
My local hang out is the full moon bar, on the beach, cheap drinks, happy hour 5-10, and they also serve food.
There are so many dive ops in PG that you must decide what you want. There is the big popular ones like Atlantis and El Galleon to the small boutique place like Searider or Action divers.
Unfortunately there are no sandy beaches in Sabang, but Big Laguna does have a nice beach. Cambells resort and Laguna Beach Club are there and a couple others catering to the Koreans.
I'm sure others will chime in about their favorite diveops and resorts here.
I have friends that stay at a place called tinas, maybe $10 night, but that's a bit rustic for me.
If I had the money out of the blue villas would be nice, but I keep my lodging at under $40 night.
I use Banana Moon, beach front, kitchen, AC, hot water, cable tv, super sized balcony, and walking distance to most places.
If you do decide to go, request a dive day to Verde Island. This is a must do dive.
Okay, I better get back to work to make some pesos for COZ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom