Coz Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I agree with ya Tropigal. I think it's the citric acid in limes that are supposed to do the trick, but you would probably need alot to really do the trick, however, every little bit helps.

There's one main brand of bottled water if I remember correctly. It may be from a tap (just as some bottled water in the US). I'm pretty sure it's all run through a filter though and I've never had any problems.

If you're really worried about it, you can buy cheap little filters from many different camping supply places. I know Cabela's has them

www.cabelas.com

They filter out just about everything. I've seen people drink pond water through these filters. They work quite well and some of them are very compact and inexpensive.

You will find that some of the bottled water is distlilled - we got some at Chedruai (the local supermarket on Av. R. Melgar) - across from PLG. We have not had any problems with any of the bottled water and none of our group got sick from the food (at Brisas). One person got a touch of "revenge" but she did the Chichen Itza trip and ate the food provided by the tour operator!

Make sure your burgers are WELL done; don't be tempted by the delightful smells eminating from some of the little BBQ shacks off the main drag. By the way, there is a much larger supermarket east of the main part of San Miguel - at 5th and 30th. Also, right near there is an interesting open air liquor store with very decent prices.

A good idea is to take along antibacterial hand wash for use prior to eating your meals.

We dove with Aqua Safari and enjoyed agua purificado, fresh fruit, soft drinks, and incrdible little sandwiches and nobody suffered! Serious operators can't afford to have bad experiences and we have not been dissapointed over the past several years.

I was in Coz last Feb and was part of a group of four divers. We ate locally ( no inclusive) and none of us experienced any problems at all-we even ate the raw pico de gallo another poster was talking about! Drink the bottled water and just use your common sense. People really get freaked out about this avoiding ice,salad etc. We were more concerned at the beginning of the trip but soon forgot about it and just enjoyed ourselves!
Have fun and a good flight-both in the plane and over the reefs!:D

Yep...we did the same thing...took our own bottle of antibacterial soap to keep in our room and washed our hands very often and you can use the antibacterial lotion as well...small bottle to keep with you when you're out and about.

Ditto on the bottled water from Chedraui. That's where we got our large containers to fill our smaller ones. Also where I got my small bottle of chlorine bleach and the fruit I wanted.

Rich, you didn't say where you will be staying so I don't know what markets will be closest to you.

Now...a couple other things...Sunday evening at 8:00 in the town square is a fun place to go. After the service at the adjacent church , everyone walks over to the outdoor bandstand which is a meeting place for locals. Family (all ages from birth to the oldest) and friends meet in their Sunday best to talk, listen to the music, dance, eat and just have a wonderful time. Elders chapherone the younger ones that are too young to date but want to meet a sweetie...that sort of thing. It is always a highlight of a trip to Cozumel for me because the people are delightful and friendly to outsiders as well as neighbors. The downside is "getting" from the main drag to the square through all the hawking for free car rentals, excursions, etc. for timeshare sales sessions. It seems to get worse with time...because of the increasing number tourists each year. Just keep on walking with a polite "No, gracias" (which you will have to repeat several times to each)...LOL...but you'll make it through and it's worth it.

And I thought this thread asked a simple question!!! You guys are amazing. I didn't think there was that much to know about the water in Coz. I don't know if I am more confident or more paranoid after reading this thread. I'll stick to beer and tequila to be safe.

Tim...I had to chuckle after reading your post. Exactly what I did at meals in restaurants...Dos Equis.....that would be the best prescription - Rxx.

Hmmmm? But what about that bottle opener??? Naaahh...not gonna go there!!

Like I said.....Salud!

Oh wait...now I got it...that's why they put the lime in the top of the beer bottle, right?! So, hey......NO PROBLEMO....

Hey Rich....did we lose you? More than you wanted to know I guess. But knowledge is power and, particularly so, if you have a weak digestive system!

Don't forget to post a trip report! I love to hear about Coz diving!

It would be nice if it were that easy, but adding lime juice will not "cook bacteria" or sterilize bacterially contaminated food or drink, although it may make them smell & taste better.

This is old wive's nonsense.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

See now look what you did! You woke Doc up and now there is no debate. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom