Cow Springs-Steps and Boardwalk

Is the Construction at Cow Springs a Good Thing?

• Yes. It will prevent erosion and stop cave divers from twisting their ankles.

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • No. It's an eyesore and the cave will get trashed.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the excuses surrounding erosion and accidents at these cave sites seems to be related to people in back doubles falling and sliding. Maybe these sites should be sidemount only. :lightbulb:

I would recommend keeping even those heavy steel sidemount tanks out of there. I make a motion to have it become rebreather only. :D

Death to all those who use that old outdated Open circuit stuff. :coffee:

dear ian - pbpbpbpbpbpbpt!

xx,

marci

As a disabled vet the new stairs are a God sent..thanks to all that put in many hours and material. Yes I and the help of my instructor have used the the new steps.

Regards,

Clay

Cow is one of my favorite dive sites...and a place I went to frequently before I had a skiing accident. Though I have recovered physically, I now have this huge mental fear of falling and becoming disabled again....hence the reason to avoid those slippery wet leaves at Cow. Knowing there will be stairs soon made me renew my NSS membership. I can't wait to see those gorgeous clay banks again :)

Thank you to all who made the steps possible!!

I was there a couple of weeks ago and found the steps to be a big improvement. The design of the boardwalk and steps really does keep you off of the banks and will have to go a long way in preserving what is now there. Since the steps end right over the cave's upstream entrance, you can go in and out without stirring up the basin. The wooden platform on the left as you go down allow you to manage your stages/BOs without touching the banks, too. This is an added feature I haven't noticed elsewhere. The decision to install the boardwalk and the steps were the right ones, IMO.

Actually with all of the cleared land around the steps, I don't know why the parking area, along with the table & toilet, aren't just moved there as well.

Pic I took at Cow last weekend :)

IMG_8001.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom