Covid testing in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A recent study of subjects recovered from SARS 17 years ago showed strong T-cells in bone marrow, suggesting the protection may be lifetime. And while the vaccine produces more antibodies it only generates them in response to the spike protein not an array of virus characteristics and it is not known yet whether it produces strong T-cells.

But whether one is slightly better than the other is not really the point. If there is a difference it is marginal. The data clearly shows that both have strong protection levels and mild symptoms on breakthrough cases. My beef is how we are divided into the vaccinated or the not vaccinated, and from that presumed protected and responsible or unprotected and irresponsible. My original point still stands - if the vaccinated are excepted from certain protective protocols then so should the recovered.

Well, I don't entirely disagree. If there is a difference it may be marginal. Or the vaccine or prior infection might turn out to be a lot better than the other. I don't think the book on that is finished.

And it seems to make sense that a vaccine and a prior infection might be better that one or the other.

I also read scientific postulation and getting one shot of one vaccine and then the second shot from another vaccine might actually widen the over all protection.

I think there is a lot to be known yet.

I think its clear the policy thinking is that a vaccine for everyone, prior case or not, is not a bad idea, but your point of no respect for those that got antibodies the hard way is not without merit. Its hard to set a policy when science keeps changing the assumptions.

Oh and if I had nickel for all the people that said, you know I have the covid fall of 2019, etc etc. I actually made some money betting on that.

The recovered have a higher rate of complications from vaccination and tend to have stronger side effects. Many experts are now saying the recovered should only get one dose.

If you've been vaccinated, why not get vaccinated again? Had the Moderna? Go get the Pfizer and the JJ too. What's the downside?

Well, there you go, stronger reaction better protection I think is the mantra. Read something about fear of old people with next to no reaction getting weaker protection.

One of my people had a reaction to the first shot. Not strong but rather a bit of flu like symptoms for a few hours. Given some history there I tend to think he previously had an asymptomatic case. He has a clear exposure of significant duration. If I had the vast resources to randomly test things, I would love to test him for that, just to see if that theory hold water.

And see my other note about the idea of mixing vaccines possibly being a good idea.

I think there is a lot to be known yet.

I think its clear the policy thinking is that a vaccine for everyone, prior case or not, is not a bad idea,

Actually, the first sentence is the reason why the last sentence might not be true.

Actually, the first sentence is the reason why the last sentence might not be true.

Well, that is very true. To quote the Donald. (No not that one, the other one.) “You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”

You have to make a decision with what you got to work with at the time. Like I wouldn't be surprised if like tomorrow they said US citizens don't need a covid test to come home. I think it will come like that at some point. No vaccinated vs not vs prior infections. It will just reach a tipping point and fall to history. There is a lot of that 'you will need a vax to do whatever' but I think in the end that just is a good encouragement to people rather than a condition that will come to pass.

And be nimble. I found this article very interesting on the twists and turns of COVID research. Sort of puts a lot of scrutiny on our focal point for the last year plus. The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

FYI the IH pharmacy at the Fonatur Marina has sign for $25 antigen tests. This is a very good price, I stopped by and they wanted a 2 hr advance reservation but the gal stated she could have someone out to do the test in 20-30 minutes. I was running folks into town and didn't have the time so I just got one at the quick site on 65th but next time I am down I think I will set up a res the day prior. Last time I was in DFW customs they still had the bird flu warning signs up from 09. Who knows when the Feds will pull the pre flight tests.

A recent study of subjects recovered from SARS 17 years ago showed strong T-cells in bone marrow, suggesting the protection may be lifetime. And while the vaccine produces more antibodies it only generates them in response to the spike protein not an array of virus characteristics and it is not known yet whether it produces strong T-cells.
Can you show references? No offense intended, but one can say anything on a forum and it could be true or not.

FYI the IH pharmacy at the Fonatur Marina has sign for $25 antigen tests. This is a very good price, I stopped by and they wanted a 2 hr advance reservation but the gal stated she could have someone out to do the test in 20-30 minutes. I was running folks into town and didn't have the time so I just got one at the quick site on 65th but next time I am down I think I will set up a res the day prior. Last time I was in DFW customs they still had the bird flu warning signs up from 09. Who knows when the Feds will pull the pre flight tests.
The mobile testing unit that came to our hotel a couple of weeks ago only charged US$32 or 34. If you add in cab fare to and from the marina it costs more than that.

The test results were emailed to the hotel, who printed them for us. It was easy and inexpensive.

The mobile testing unit that came to our hotel a couple of weeks ago only charged US$32 or US$34. If you add in cab fare to and from the marina it costs more than that.

The test results were emailed to the hotel, who printed them for us. It was easy and inexpensive.
But if you are already at the marina everyday it is an option

Can you show references? No offense intended, but one can say anything on a forum and it could be true or not.

Google turns up dozens of articls. Here's one:

Immune T Cells May Offer Lasting Protection Against COVID-19
Much of the study on the immune response to SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, has focused on the production of antibodies. But, in fact, immune cells known as memory T cells also play an important role in the ability of our immune systems to protect us against many viral infections, including—it now appears—COVID-19.

An intriguing new study of these memory T cells suggests they might protect some people newly infected with SARS-CoV-2 by remembering past encounters with other human coronaviruses. This might potentially explain why some people seem to fend off the virus and may be less susceptible to becoming severely ill with COVID-19.
Next, they looked at blood samples from 23 people who’d survived SARS. Their studies showed that those individuals still had lasting memory T cells today, 17 years after the outbreak. Those memory T cells, acquired in response to SARS-CoV-1, also recognized parts of SARS-CoV-2.

Here's another: Singapore study finds virus-specific T cell immunity in recovered COVID-19 and SARS patients

Back
Top Bottom