Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon my ignorance but where do we get the test done in Bonaire before departing? Is it at the airport or a local clinic?

Hestia is in the Courtyard Marriott near the airport, Bon Bida is just north of the Hato traffic circle.

Bon Bida is just north of the Hato traffic circle
That is across the road from Sand Dollar.

Arrangements can also be made for the testers to come to you. The information is in the links provided earlier.

That is across the road from Sand Dollar.

Arrangements can also be made for the testers to come to you. The information is in the links provided earlier.

I'm staying at Sand Dollar so that's perfect. Thank you both.

The Bonaire testing by BonBida or by Hestia is $125 for a PCR (ID Now NAAT) test, $65 for an antigen test. All you need to get back into the US is the antigen test.
True, however it's important to note that at this time the only way for US folks to get to Bonaire, one must go through Curacao or Aruba. The Curacao route still requires a PCR - so even though you're heading to the US with an Antigen test requirement, the Curacao hop requires the PCR.

I can't speak for the Aruba requirement at this time since I'm only familiar with the Curacao-shuffle.

True, however it's important to note that at this time the only way for US folks to get to Bonaire, one must go through Curacao or Aruba. The Curacao route still requires a PCR - so even though you're heading to the US with an Antigen test requirement, the Curacao hop requires the PCR.

I can't speak for the Aruba requirement at this time since I'm only familiar with the Curacao-shuffle.
Note this quote from the Facebook site re Covid-19 in Bonaire: Bonaire Expats and Visitors COVID-19 Discussion

"Since the Curacao website only lists the 72hr PCR test option for entry, we focused on this one. I should note though that later when submitting the forms for Curacao, it gives you a popup mentioning a second option of 24hr antigen. So this means if you do the 24hr NAAT option for Bonaire then it will also meet the Curacao requirement. I wish I had known that in advance though since I could have gotten a NAAT for free by my home and instead paid a ton for PCR. Hopefully this note will help others. Check the form submissions first."​

PCR is a subtype of NAAT. Both amplify genomic material, in this case RNA. The antigen test looks for the presence of the spike protein itself.

Note this quote from the Facebook site re Covid-19 in Bonaire: Bonaire Expats and Visitors COVID-19 Discussion

"Since the Curacao website only lists the 72hr PCR test option for entry, we focused on this one. I should note though that later when submitting the forms for Curacao, it gives you a popup mentioning a second option of 24hr antigen. So this means if you do the 24hr NAAT option for Bonaire then it will also meet the Curacao requirement. I wish I had known that in advance though since I could have gotten a NAAT for free by my home and instead paid a ton for PCR. Hopefully this note will help others. Check the form submissions first."​
Ahh yes, you are correct as well. The distinction being that the 24-hr NAAT test being refered to would require rapid results which is far less available to folks in the US than a standard PCR test which is generally taking 24-48hrs for results around here. And yes, PCR is a NAAT, but not all NAATs are a PCR.

I would have much preferred the logistics associated with the 24-hr NAAT test route, but it was just not an option for me given local testing options.

I would have much preferred the logistics associated with the 24-hr NAAT test route, but it was just not an option for me given local testing options.
If you are in Flagstaff, as your profile shows, I'm surprised. Walgreens in your area seems to be readily offering the ID NOW NAAT test with rapid results.

Good to know....that must be a new development....as of a few weeks back, they did not. Nevertheless, it takes more than 24 hours to get to Bonaire from Flagstaff due to flight schedules, so it's unfortunately moot.

Good to know....that must be a new development....as of a few weeks back, they did not. Nevertheless, it takes more than 24 hours to get to Bonaire from Flagstaff due to flight schedules, so it's unfortunately moot.
Interesting. My brother-in-law in Tucson says he can take his ID NOW test on Fri, fly to ATL, overnight, fly to BON Saturday, arrive, and do it within his 24h window. May be worth him double-checking that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom