Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recopied from my post in the FB Bonaire Expats and Visitors COVID-19 Discussion
I am already aware that Delta has cancelled flights until June.

My question/comment is about trying to understand what information Delta could be using that would cause them to cancel that far out? My impression was historically they were only acting 30 days out, which makes sense knowing how volatile things are.

The last info I got from Bonaire is that once they get started with the process, the majority of the local population will be vaccinated in short order and not unreasonable to think it could be done before May. And then there’s little reason I can think of to be limiting travel.

I am already aware that Delta has cancelled flights until June.

The last info I got from Bonaire is that once they get started with the process, the majority of the local population will be vaccinated in short order and not unreasonable to think it could be done before May. And then there’s little reason I can think of to be limiting travel.

I somehow suspect that Delta has decided that it is simply not worth the effort to continue service to Bonaire.

Edit: Some recent news from Bonaire" Phase 3 COVID-19 Measures on Bonaire Through Feb 18th | InfoBonaire

Well it already is available in Newark, BUT they do not open until 7am and the bonaire flight is 9pm... So unless they expand the hours there is most likely not enough time to get the results and hustle back to the gate. And of course United needs to restart the flights!

Need to have a 24/7 testing kiosk at airports; or, a secure automated instrument set up, so that the passengers can do self testing and move on.

You are in the Bonaire forum, and it is the Netherlands (hence Bonaire) that requires an antigen test within 4h of departure.

Yes, and when you build an airport serving exclusively ABC, the Netherlands, and the USA, rapid antigen kiosks will fit right in there. They will not be quite as great in airports with flights to other places, like say Canada.

Yes, and when you build an airport serving exclusively ABC, the Netherlands, and the USA, rapid antigen kiosks will fit right in there. They will not be quite as great in airports with flights to other places, like say Canada.
You may be a few pages behind. The issue pro tem is not getting a test to get back to the US, it is getting an antigen test within 4h of departure to get into Bonaire.

My comment was on every airport solving the problem on the spot.

Seriously, every airport should have one of these or something similar. It solves the testing problem on the spot....

QuikLAB - Rapid COVID-19 Testing with results in minutes

Yes, for every airport serving exclusively Bonaire and 3 other countries accepting rapid tests this will do fine.

Mid-February report on Covid status in Bonaire.
Things are looking pretty good! The Christmas/New-Year's surge seems under control, restrictions are at a moderate level, and nationwide vaccinations are beginning, to be completed by June, perhaps, in time for the resumption of flights from the US by United and Delta.
The remaining major obstacle for US divers is the Netherlands-imposed antigen test within 4h of your departure for Bonaire, which has severely limited US travel except via Aruba or Curacao.
upload_2021-2-16_20-11-38.png

upload_2021-2-16_20-11-57.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom