Covid-19 infection on a liveaboard at the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just follow CDC protocols, folks! It works fine for me. I have a lot of practice doing it for the last 10 months. I’m COVID-19 free so far. Knock on wood.

Unfortunately I see this as no different from any hotel, car rental, condo rental, business office, doctor or dentist office, etc. To leave our home we have to place at least some trust that businesses will practice covid appropriate cleaning procedures. In this case I would probably give my own space a little extra personal attention.

Good point, but a little potential nuance to follow up. American culture has been described a number of times as 'litigious' - which I take to mean a rather entitled population (not everyone in it, but enough) with high enough standards and sufficient ease of filing and pursuing lawsuits (e.g.: loser doesn't automatically have to pay costs for winner) that businesses here often border on paranoid when it comes to product liability. Per the old saying, it's not paranoia if they're really after you...

I'm not sure how trusting to be about other places. I suspect exposed crew would be more dangerous than surfaces.

Travelling at your own risk!
Have good travel insurance to cover this particular virus as well as good life insurance as well!

Good point, but a little potential nuance to follow up. American culture has been described a number of times as 'litigious' - which I take to mean a rather entitled population (not everyone in it, but enough) with high enough standards and sufficient ease of filing and pursuing lawsuits (e.g.: loser doesn't automatically have to pay costs for winner) that businesses here often border on paranoid when it comes to product liability. Per the old saying, it's not paranoia if they're really after you...

I'm not sure how trusting to be about other places. I suspect exposed crew would be more dangerous than surfaces.
Of course there are already lawyers circling hotels, airlines, manufacturers and of course healthcare providers. I don’t think there has been too much success as of yet or there would be more tv ads. :rolleyes:

Yes, it’s the crew that would cause me concern. Surfaces are not a large factor in transmission although that gets a lot of attention. Standard cleaning is sufficient. Airborne or droplet transmission of covid has been the subjects of many studies and is still controversial but in general, unless there was aerosolization of the virus, which would not occur on a LOB, the concern would be droplets. Large droplets drop quickly. Even small droplets would not remain in the air too long. The general rule, unless it’s changed recently, is 15 minutes. Of course temperature, humidity and ventilation can influence all of this.

(...)

Yes, it’s the crew that would cause me concern.
(...)

Yep.
Tourists arrive all PCR tested ... but the crews are not !

experienced last week, liveaboard : the boat generator failed, the secundary generator failed, so we stayed more than 24 hours without energy, thus no light, no water (pumps), no airco, no divelight or computer / phone charging, even no fresh beer, aaaargh ! Then came an "ingeneer" with a speedboat from Male, pilot and technician were wearing masks only when tourists were looking at them, they sat on the same table, took same glasses and ate in the same plates, touched ramps, doors etc... and discussing with the crew of the boat, we were told they are never tested... but they go on land every week, to refurbish the boat. So what ?

But ok, don't be paranoid, Maldives has only 1/3 of the US contamination level... (per 100.000 hab.)

More people in the UK have died of Covid 19 in 1 year than died in the Blitz. Having said this, I am certain that the people who travelled had the very best intentions. Everybody on this Board must have thought about the effect the lack of tourism on countries and staff in the resorts and on liveaboards, their families and the wonderful marine life.

One’s own risks are not the only consideration here though. Using this case in The Maldives as an example, all of the government officials involved with these Covid positive passengers were at risk of contracting it. Their time is not free, the Maldivian taxpayer paid for it. And of course what happened to the boat crew ? We have done three LOBs with this company and may well have met guides and dive crew on this boat. Maldivian staff have to process all of these tests, that costs taxpayers’ money and the environmental footprint of these products is huge.

I am not sure that it was handled so badly. Standards of communication, education about the virus, living standards and officials’ command of English in a poor country during a global pandemic will not be perfect.

The international picture is changing all the time and the arrival of such effective vaccines in the last month so quickly is truly a miracle and a way out of this pandemic. I have spent the last 20 years in pharmaceutical regulation and am extremely excited about these vaccines. But the more person to person contact while they are being rolled out, the more likely it is that potentially resistant variants will appear.

I’m pretty surprised to hear anyone is running liveaboards again. Seems like a super high risk environment given the tight quarters and living together for 5-7 days.

liveaboards for Raja Ampat Indonesia have been advertising 10 day packages for US$1700 or less with one person to a cabin.

Great for those already in Indonesia. Would I travel there never having contracted the Wuhan Virus? Not on your nelly.

Why would anyone listen to Dr Fauci?
Maybe, just maybe, because he's a world renowned and highly esteemed epidemiologist who knows what he's talking about? Just spitballing here.

Maybe, just maybe, because he's a world renowned and highly esteemed epidemiologist who knows what he's talking about? Just spitballing here.
I agree - but, unfortunately, the US (and The WHO as well) messaging/guidance has been poorly managed and inconsistent (CDC, Surgeon General, Fauci, etc.,) so it’s planted seeds of doubt that conspiracy theorists and others have seized on. I certainly respect and listen to Dr. Fauci - but don’t take his opinions as absolute gospel - he’s one input among many to consider in figuring how to best protect myself and my family.

Back
Top Bottom