Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sad part about this is that I don't think ANYONE wants their money back. All anyone wants is their trip to be rescheduled and they won't accommodate that. I appreciate that Mike is trying to be creative but, for the love of all that is holy, just reschedule the people's trips so you aren't having to deal with chargebacks from the credit card companies. Nobody would even be talking about chargebacks if he had just rescheduled the trips like his competitors are.

The sad part about this is that I don't think ANYONE wants their money back. All anyone wants is their trip to be rescheduled and they won't accommodate that. I appreciate that Mike is trying to be creative but, for the love of all that is holy, just reschedule the people's trips so you aren't having to deal with chargebacks from the credit card companies. Nobody would even be talking about chargebacks if he had just rescheduled the trips like his competitors are.

to be fair, some actually are asking for their money back, and I don’t agree with that as a fair resolution, but i also definitely don’t agree with the ‘2 x 50% credit and you have to come on 2 full paid trips with us to get the money back’ approach either, particularly as the boats aren’t sailing. Apologies if I have this wrong and if so I take back my statements.

I own a business and it smacks too much of a strong arm to guarantee future business. There is no ‘you are f&cked if there is a pandemic’ clause in any of my old nautilus T&Cs I can find. If it’s a case of ‘we need/want to protect the company, so tough sh1t as we are prioritizing other things’, then fine, that’s your prerogative, but let’s call it what it is. It isn’t ‘trying to do right by everyone’ it’s heavily weighted to self preservation, so let’s not pretend it isn’t. Personally I am making a note of the boats who are being legends ( generally ‘we will make this right somehow and your berth is cool at some point in the future as long as we are still in business’) and I will be going out of my way to book with them. That’s a small business mentality that focuses on trying to make it right with everyone IMO. ‘If we survive, we will honour the booking and make it happen’ - you’re getting future business from me and I’ll pay more that I would for other boats because of it.

noone who doesn’t own a competing business wants a dive op to arbitrarily fail through this, but at the same time it’s going to shine a light on how all operations are run/underwritten and what you can expect in the future. This is unprecedented for sure, but next time it rolls around it will actually be completely precedented and I would hope that means an improvement for all and proper compliance to protect all. Staff, boats, divers etc.

3RD UPDATE
Emperor Fleet
Official Announcement : If travel restrictions are implemented by your local, Egyptian, Maldivian or Indonesian governments due to COVID 19 (Corona virus) causing you to be unable to travel then the following will apply: 1.Any new booking that is made for travel between 10 March and 30 April is affected you will be allowed to cancel and get a full refund; 2. Any new booking that is made for travel between 01 May and 30 June is affected you will be allowed to cancel or be rebooked free of charge up to 14 days before arrival.
Emperor Fleet
New Announcement : Because our lives have been “paused” by Covid 19, many 2020 bookings have re-booked for late 2020 and into 2021: we hope this offer helps you plan ahead and hold your place with no risk : We understand there is no way anyone wants to pay a deposit for a holiday when they can’t be sure it’ll happen as planned. Our solution is to let you hold spaces on our boats for FREE – We’ll hold any date from 01 July 2020 onwards – no deposit required, just an agreement to be fair with each other. Once the travel bans are lifted and “normal“ service returns, we’ll ask you to pay our low deposit of EUR 200 / GBP 180 / USD 250 per person and then the final balance at the normal time. Should you decide you can’t travel as planned, then no harm done, we’ll just cancel your place and hope to be of service to you at some other time.

Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Fleet
New Announcement : As travel restrictions and flight cancellations limit the opportunity for guests to join our vessels, we are in direct contact with the affected guests, with priority being given to those traveling within the next several weeks. If your travel plans are for more than 4 weeks in the future, please be patient as the situation is changing rapidly and there is simply no way to know what it will be at that point.

I just joined the forum today because I wanted to see what divers were saying about LB cancellations. My 2 LB trips got cancelled by the operator and there is no refund coming...just a reschedule for future trips. I asked again for a refund and they said no. I will withhold any company information until I get a final resolution. With these awful worldwide events playing out, I am not confident that the LB company will financially survive, and it is abhorrent behavior on the LB company to keep $1 of any of my money if they cannot fulfill their side of the contract. By keeping my money, I am bankrolling their debt, payroll, expenses, and overhead and that is unacceptable!! If these companies don't have enough capital and assets in their business to keep them afloat during a crisis, then they've set themselves up for failure and shame on their owners, and we, as the customers, are not supposed to be their bailout!!

I've only been on one other LB trip (different company) and loved the experience so much that I booked these 2 LB trips. I made my booking directly with the company and paid with a credit card. If you book through a third-party vendor or a dive shop, you're at higher risk of not recovering your money should something bad happen and you need to make an insurance claim. I also always use a credit card (not debit or checks) so I have dispute protection from the credit card company. I always have dive insurance through DAN, then I also purchased travel insurance. I thought I did everything right, yet I find myself fighting for a refund.

One thing I've learned through this experience with travel insurance is that you have to carefully read the "covered reasons" as well as the exclusions. Oftentimes, the exclusions are the longer list of events. Also, in the future, I'll be getting travel insurance within the first 10 days of a trip deposit in order to get the "cancel for any reason" provision and also coverage for "financial default."

I just joined the forum today because I wanted to see what divers were saying about LB cancellations. My 2 LB trips got cancelled by the operator and there is no refund coming...just a reschedule for future trips. I asked again for a refund and they said no. I will withhold any company information until I get a final resolution. With these awful worldwide events playing out, I am not confident that the LB company will financially survive, and it is abhorrent behavior on the LB company to keep $1 of any of my money if they cannot fulfill their side of the contract. By keeping my money, I am bankrolling their debt, payroll, expenses, and overhead and that is unacceptable!! If these companies don't have enough capital and assets in their business to keep them afloat during a crisis, then they've set themselves up for failure and shame on their owners, and we, as the customers, are not supposed to be their bailout!!

I've only been on one other LB trip (different company) and loved the experience so much that I booked these 2 LB trips. I made my booking directly with the company and paid with a credit card. If you book through a third-party vendor or a dive shop, you're at higher risk of not recovering your money should something bad happen and you need to make an insurance claim. I also always use a credit card (not debit or checks) so I have dispute protection from the credit card company. I always have dive insurance through DAN, then I also purchased travel insurance. I thought I did everything right, yet I find myself fighting for a refund.

One thing I've learned through this experience with travel insurance is that you have to carefully read the "covered reasons" as well as the exclusions. Oftentimes, the exclusions are the longer list of events. Also, in the future, I'll be getting travel insurance within the first 10 days of a trip deposit in order to get the "cancel for any reason" provision and also coverage for "financial default."

Please see this thread: Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

The TL;DR version is not all companies are even offering reschedules, let alone a refund. To give you perspective, some companies (both resorts and liveabords) are just offering a % of the original paid value, some even as low as 40%-60% and then you have to pay more to even get on the trip that you originally already paid for when you do decide to return. This also applies to people who have already paid all deposits and balances, a fully paid trip on the thousands. Some have dragged their feet in offering any reschedule at all even though the marine park they sail in is closed. The fact that they are agreeing to a reschedule is great because they are essentially giving you 100% value - and not just in credit, but a voucher for the same trip even if it changes in cost.

Also, regarding a refund...Think of it this way: if a full refund was NEVER part of the original policy or T&C and an option on the table, especially considering how many days prior to the trip it is now and what policy applies at that point when things are normal, why would you expect or demand a refund now? That is a very one-sided resolution for the customer and as the customer, I feel is not fair at all for the ops IMO. At the same time, what the ops are doing as far as rescheduling has now become an industry courtesy and many people are expecting and hoping for this because many other companies within the industry are doing it. They technically don't "have to" but it would be marketing and social media suicide to not do it and swallow funds. The vast majority of people will not be able to claim this to their insurance as most policies don't cover pandemics/epidemics and/or they would have had to buy prior to a certain date (Jan 21 or 24 is a common date being used) if their policy does include it. My credit card offers quarantine coverage but even with us being on lockdown, they are denying a claim based on that.

As this was a cancellation made on the operator's end, you may feel that you had no control over this situation, but neither do they. Force majeure, if you will. They are canceling likely because none of their clients can get into the country anyway, whether by way of travel restrictions/bans, lack of flights as many countries and airlines are slashing flights/routes with very little notice, or because their own governments or their clients' governments have lockdowns which prevent them from going anywhere or operating. This is obviously an unprecedented event with unprecedented results and everyone is scrambling to figure out what options there are.

I am saying all this as someone who is fighting an op who is dealing with a marine park closure that won't even allow them to sail. They are still dragging their feet on a reschedule but they are letting new bookings reschedule with a "COVID clause". I am participating in this conversation as someone who has thousands upon thousands of dollars to lose to the tune of 5 digits so I am not armchairing this one by any means.

I have booked many liveaboards (13 total) and many resorts directly and more recently, more often through an agent. Whether you book through a third party vendor or a dive shop does not increase your risk of losing your money and needing to make an insurance claim or chargeback if you did indeed pay by credit card. It does not matter, and I say this as someone who has had to make an insurance claim before. Your contract is then with the agent or the dive shop. You can still do chargebacks and insurance claims that involve them. In this situation, what the agency or dive shop is able to do or offer you is still dependent on what the liveaboard or resort's policies are. They act based on what answer they get from the operator/travel supplier. The important part is to find someone you trust that won't swallow or benefit from misfortune. If anything, this experience has taught me that there is more flexibility and more negotiation weight when you book through an agency rather than negotiating on your own, as my agent and his agency has proven. I don't have to do any of the work...He just keeps me posted.

Reading the fine print and T&C of an insurance policy should always be happening way before something bad happens.

Official message from Nautilus

We are sorry. We could have handled COVID related trip cancellations better.

We are putting a 4th ship into service to help handle makeup trips. Our 116 foot yacht Gallant Lady is at the shipyard undergoing refit and upgrades to go back into Socorro service. 100% credit makeup trips will be available on the Lady starting December 2020. The 12 passenger yacht will come out of refit heavily ballasted for open ocean work with a brand new 32 foot high speed RHiB for divers and dive gear and a large dive deck with 4 x the camera table space of before as well as machinery and systems overhaul or replacement.

We have opened up more Guadalupe great white shark 2020 dates and are offering 100% credit makeup trips. By sending our 3 big steel dive boats to the shipyard early for annual refit as well as upgrades and renewal, we were able to open up July dates when these dive boats would normally be at the shipyard.

Alternatively, guests affected by COVID related cancellations can chose to receive 2 x 50% credit vouchers good for up to 4 years. Fully transferable.

In short, this is a terrible time and everyone is under a lot of stress. We should have handled this better. We are offering new options to clients affected by the COVID crisis including ;

1- Socorro makeup trips starting December 2020 on our 12 passenger 116 foot Nautilus Gallant Lady currently in shipyard refit for Socorro service.

2- Straight across makeup trip for Guadalupe great white shark trip July or August 2020.

3- 2 x 50% credits good for up to 4 years and fully transferable.

We are not laying off our staff or crew during this crisis. We are strong financially and committed to ensuring that our people can feed their families, pay their rent and medicine which means that we are covering a huge payroll. Mortgages, insurance, moorage, maintenance, rent, shore side admin all need to continue to be paid. We are anxious for everyone to stay safe and for this to be over and to get back in the water.

Official message from Nautilus

We are sorry. We could have handled COVID related trip cancellations better.

We are putting a 4th ship into service to help handle makeup trips. Our 116 foot yacht Gallant Lady is at the shipyard undergoing refit and upgrades to go back into Socorro service. 100% credit makeup trips will be available on the Lady starting December 2020. The 12 passenger yacht will come out of refit heavily ballasted for open ocean work with a brand new 32 foot high speed RHiB for divers and dive gear and a large dive deck with 4 x the camera table space of before as well as machinery and systems overhaul or replacement.

We have opened up more Guadalupe great white shark 2020 dates and are offering 100% credit makeup trips. By sending our 3 big steel dive boats to the shipyard early for annual refit as well as upgrades and renewal, we were able to open up July dates when these dive boats would normally be at the shipyard.

Alternatively, guests affected by COVID related cancellations can chose to receive 2 x 50% credit vouchers good for up to 4 years. Fully transferable.

In short, this is a terrible time and everyone is under a lot of stress. We should have handled this better. We are offering new options to clients affected by the COVID crisis including ;

1- Socorro makeup trips starting December 2020 on our 12 passenger 116 foot Nautilus Gallant Lady currently in shipyard refit for Socorro service.

2- Straight across makeup trip for Guadalupe great white shark trip July or August 2020.

3- 2 x 50% credits good for up to 4 years and fully transferable.

We are not laying off our staff or crew during this crisis. We are strong financially and committed to ensuring that our people can feed their families, pay their rent and medicine which means that we are covering a huge payroll. Mortgages, insurance, moorage, maintenance, rent, shore side admin all need to continue to be paid. We are anxious for everyone to stay safe and for this to be over and to get back in the water.

Whether in our personal or professional lives, it is never easy to acknowledge that we could have handled things better so I commend you on that. No one is perfect and whether in life or a business, it is a process to get closer to that point. Thank you for coming here to share your sentiments and to outline the action items that you have taken. I very much appreciate that. I am not a customer currently and have never been one with Nautilus, but I am still open to the idea of this in the future.

I wanted to ask for more details regarding the options. Are the makeup trips a 100% reschedule with no money needing to be paid in order to get on those trips? Are the 50% credits X 2 still like before where you can only use 1 per berth per sailing?

Thanks for clarifying.

So has anyone received any voucher or been able to reschedule their trip with Nautilus?

please make sure you come back and reference this operator one way or another. if the result stays the same, i need to blacklist the crap out of them.

Back
Top Bottom