Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be careful with this type of promotion which is now becoming common all over for the travel and tourism industry. Just received one yesterday for Zermatt. It is being promoted in a number of different ways - support tourism, support those places you love, thank you and look forward to your return etc. That is all nice and may be true but I would not buy into any of these promotions for any amount other than that which you are willing to lose and treat as a donation. It may very well work out for both you and the business but inevitably some of these business will not be around when the time comes to use the purchase. This is true in good times and especially so now.
Sunset House offers a relaxed, fun getaway with the benefit of some cool boat dives and fun onsite shore dives, nice onsite dining options and beautiful sunset views. I haven't seen the Sunset House offer but will look for it. When I'm ready to travel after all this stress they would be my first choice.

Undercurrent has suspended publishing their monthly issues during the pandemic but they are still sending some email updates, below are a few interesting items from the newsletter I received today:

"Slow Down on Cayman:
Meanwhile, the Cayman government confirms that the islands will remain closed to visitors until at least the beginning of September. This may well set a precedent for other Caribbean nations as well although there are rumors that Saba and other islands in the Netherland Antilles will open on June 1.

COVID-19 Will Change the Way We Fly. Higher fares, fewer routes, pre-flight health checks, and less free food: The coronavirus pandemic is ushering in a new era of air travel. So, suggests an article in Bloomberg News, there's no knowing when people will be willing to pack into enclosed cabin spaces again. EasyJet is among those planning to keep middle seats empty, and Korean Air Lines cabin crew now wear goggles, masks gloves, and protective gowns. A further concern is that customers will be put off by health-related entry rules that may differ from country to country, especially during an uneven opening-up process. Travelers may be subjected to temperature checks, or they may even need health certificates to fly. That could be time-consuming and complicate flight schedules.

A Sci-Fi Approach to Coronavirus Safety. Hong Kong Airport has installed CleanTech pods for a 40-second sanitization procedure aimed at arriving passengers. These check a person's body temperature before allowing them into the pod, and once inside, apply a sanitizing and disinfecting process employing a UV-based photocatalyst and a sanitizing spray aimed at clothing and carry-on items. The booths are currently being tested by airport staff. Additionally, intelligent sterilization robots are being deployed to clean restrooms and other high-traffic areas, applying antimicrobial coatings to all high-touch areas.

Caribbean/Atlantic 2020 Hurricane Season Likely to be Tough: Nearly all the predicting agencies are saying the number and ferocity of the hurricanes will be more than usual. The average forecast -- for the 13 groups predicting -- is eight hurricanes. With the pandemic, if the hurricanes landfall, the result could be far more complicated than normal. Hurricane Season runs from June 1 to November 30, with September and October typically being the toughest months.

The production of a quick corona virus test could be a life saver for these island nations. A test each person takes getting off the plane that can confidently say a person is or is not infected within a minute or two. You take the test in customs and if clear, you go to the island, if not, you are sent home.

Without such a test, I fear many island nations may collapse or be set back many, many years in terms of development and way of life. If there is no tourism for these places, the populations may crater and services as well as funds for public works, benefits may not be able to keep up.

If the islands have to isolate completely from the outside world for an indefinite amount of time, it will be interesting to see what it looks like in a few years.

I don't see how anyone on these small islands can think that they will be saved from Covid-19 hitting the island after they reopen. If they open their borders to the US or any country that still has a continued growing number of new cases, the island will be hit just as quick. People will travel without showing signs of infection and will spread this thought the island bringing us back to the beginning.

The need for an instant results test is crucial if we aren't able to vaccinate against it. The test will also need to be performed prior to boarding a plane so he or she doesn't infect the others flying with them to the island. We are putting a lot of effort in the thoughts of traveling for vacation in the near future. This I feel is just wishful thinking.

Our local quarry doesn't even have a date in sight for reopening, let alone airline travel to other countries for vacation. I hope this is all a long and detailed dream that I wake up from.

That too being wishful thinking.

I was thinking about rebooking over Thanksgiving or Christmas but at the rate things are now all over the world, I honestly dont' see GC being open anytime before Spring next year at the earliest for international travel, cruise ships and thousands of people flying in per day.

The virus in the rest of the world is not going away and if GC gets it under control I could see them simply keeping locked up boarders. Clearly things change week to week and month to month but I decided no travel plans this year or even early next year to save myself the trouble of rebooking and changes.

Maybe summer 2021 I will be diving off the North Wall and showing my kids Stingray City for the first time.

I was thinking about rebooking over Thanksgiving or Christmas but at the rate things are now all over the world, I honestly dont' see GC being open anytime before Spring next year at the earliest for international travel, cruise ships and thousands of people flying in per day.

The virus in the rest of the world is not going away and if GC gets it under control I could see them simply keeping locked up boarders. Clearly things change week to week and month to month but I decided no travel plans this year or even early next year to save myself the trouble of rebooking and changes.

Maybe summer 2021 I will be diving off the North Wall and showing my kids Stingray City for the first time.

I tend to agree with you. See my summary of yesterday's government briefing.
Cayman closed until at least September 1

toon-dive-tanks-696x570.jpg

This theft is bizarre but sort of interesting:

Thieves steal truck loads of dive tanks during curfew

I read the same story. Bizarre and troubling. I am interested in finding out the who did it and why. We hear that tank thefts on islands are rare because there would be no market for them on a small island. I guess we shall see. Literally truck loads taken.

"“If someone happens to see their neighbour with 60 scuba tanks in their garden that they didn’t have before, please give us a call,” Hysterical!

I’d be watching boats and checking containers at the port.. indeed it is an odd theft..

That's crazy-

Sounds more like a story I would hear at home..... Those scrap metal thieves will cut, burn, twist, shred, break and steal anything shiny if they get the chance!

Maybe it was a team of crafty turtles wanting to increase their bottom time?

To the question of when GC will open to tourist there were to two stories in the last couple of weeks that give some insight. The first the Premier was asked about government cutting salaries due to the economic impact of COVID19. The question was asked pointing out that Bermuda was cutting salaries due to the impact. As I read the story, the Premier dismissed the possibility noting that GC was not Bermuda, that GC was in much better shape financially and there was some mentioned of surplus. As I read almost all the comments from the Premier, if it was up to him (and it may be as I am not that familiar with governing structure of GC) tourism will not start until there is a vaccine or testing that can accurately insure that those coming to GC are covid free.

The second story today was about statements from the Finance Minister highlighting the serious economic impact of covid and what the hit to GDP and government finances would be if GC waited until Oct to start tourism. There was mention of having to take out an emergency line of credit by the government based upon projected spending and costs and revenue short falls due to covid. Estimates were also provide in the case tourism did not start until November and the impact and numbers were worse.

I found the two stories interesting as I would expect both positions to have to be considered on the question of when to reopen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom