Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the same story. Bizarre and troubling. I am interested in finding out the who did it and why. We hear that tank thefts on islands are rare because there would be no market for them on a small island. I guess we shall see. Literally truck loads taken.

I’d be watching boats and checking containers at the port.. indeed it is an odd theft..

That's crazy-

Sounds more like a story I would hear at home..... Those scrap metal thieves will cut, burn, twist, shred, break and steal anything shiny if they get the chance!

Maybe it was a team of crafty turtles wanting to increase their bottom time?

That's crazy-

Sounds more like a story I would hear at home..... Those scrap metal thieves will cut, burn, twist, shred, break and steal anything shiny if they get the chance!

Maybe it was a team of crafty turtles wanting to increase their bottom time?

I know! The bronze grave markers for my husband's parents were stolen from the cemetery! We had to replace them with stone markers. When I mentioned this to an acquaintance she said "Isn't is sad that someone would be so desperate that they would steal something like that?!"

But I don't see it that way. My Father-in-Law grew up during the Great Depression and his immigrant Father died when he was small. His Mother was an immigrant that worked as a seamstress to support and raise her family.

He served in the Army during WW2 and then came home to raise a family. He worked hard all his life and he bought those grave plots and markers with his hard-earned money, then some low-life thief comes along and steals the markers to make a few bucks.

All I can think is that my Father-in-Law had some tough times in his life but he was an honest man and he would never done anything so despicable.

I’d be watching boats and checking containers at the port.. indeed it is an odd theft..

I agree. It occurs to me that someone might try to smuggle them to Cuba or Jamaica to try and make some money.

We deal with some OSHA Grade D Breathing Air at work for confined space projects, and each tank has an RFID tag that gets scanned when it is picked up, filled, returned, put on the truck and delivered. You can pull up all that info on your phone and see step by step traceability, as well as the certificate of analysis,which is pretty cool. You can also track the tanks by cell phone and know where they are at any given time within 20 feet. I do not think they are waterproof yet, but that may be the future of scuba tanks as well.

Back
Top Bottom