Covering DIY weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrylowe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read on another thread that a person used a food sealer to "seal" DIY soft weight pouches. I don't have one of these delux food sealer models and didn't want to buy quart bags for the cheapest food sealer mostly because they are too big.

Has anyone else come up with an inexpensive way to seal off the lead in these soft weights?

Here's what we did.

We initially took small plastic bags (sandwich bags etc), poured the measured out lead shot into these then sealed them making sure there was a little air trapped inside as possible.

Next we made some lightweight nylon inner pouches in the dimensions that we wanted and placed the bagged lead shot into those and stitched them closed.

Once the inner bags were sealed properly, we took a small needle and punched a few small holes through the nylon and into the plastic bags to make sure they were NOT air tight.

Our pouch outer bags were made from 1000 denier Cordura we picked up at a local fabric shop.

To make identification easier, we color coded our weights; Silver = 1 lbs Yellow = 2 lbs, Blue = 3 lbs, Red = 4 lbs and Black = 5 lbs.

One of the lessons learned was to make the pouches in bulk as it made for easier sewing.
For example, if we mere making 2 lb weights that day, we would make a three foot "tube" of yellow cordura by simply measuring out the width and length we have in our pattern, folding it over, and then sew a seam down the entire length of the "tube"; twice.

Once finished the double stitching, cut the pouch sections to length, (allowing ½ inch per end for bottom seam and top seam stitching), and stick the bottom seam to make your three sided pouch

All you have to do is turn the pouch "inside out" and drop the nylon pouch of lead into the cordura pouch and double stitch the top closed. We added a small length of 1/2inch wide cordura as a top seam cap and there you’ve got a a pretty well made, and decent looking soft weight pouch. I've got some pictures of them I'll post later tonight.

The quality of these were so good we actually started selling them to our local dive shops as getting soft weights up in Canada can get expensive; epsecially if you're looking for larger weights.

OK...re-did them with nylon pouches. Feels good and looks stylish too! :cool3: Thanks for the tip.

I just wrote the the weight amount with a permanent white marker on each. So far that has lasted through a few dives .... I doubt that I ever sell mine.

Back
Top Bottom