• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cousteau Wetsuit

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by Tickler, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Tickler

Tickler Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I was wondering if any one has or has dove with those old rubber wet suits. Are they warm or comfortable? How much would one cost? I would love to get one with those yellow stripes.

[​IMG]

2. Nemrod

Nemrod Solo Diver

Well, if you find someone who can actually reproduce true vintage suits, let us know.

I cannot speak for the very suit that he is wearing in the photo but yes, the suits of that era were warm and rugged and quite functional. However, they were not the 3D stretch needed by today's flabby humanoids. Many suits were made from the no longer available USA made Rubatex G231. The best neoprene ever made for wetsuits. Very low compression, they remained warm even at depth and their buoyancy did not swing as wildly as todays stretchy soft so called neoprene.

I have, if you are approximately 5'8", male and of mesomorph build and about 150 pounds, I got your suit, NIB.

N

3. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Manta Ray

Chris Stock likes this.
  4. trapezus

trapezus Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have jacket incorporated hood and boot 5mm , front zipper ... very warm and soft neopren .It hangs in my La Spiro collection .. and I am looking for pant :)

5. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    When I filmed with a Japanese crew for NHK (Japan's public TV network), they wore suits like these. Back in my early days I wore one too. Quite a different experience from today's marginal neoprene. I had the neoprene on one recent wetsuit literally dissolve away in the crotch and armpits. The fabric was still in good shape but when I held the suit up to the light, it shone right through huge holes.

Here is Jean-Michel Cousteau in the silver wetsuits used during the filming of a 1985 documentary on board Alcyone:

Jean-Michel Cousteau on Alcyone 01sm.jpg Jean-Michel Cousteau on Alcyone 02sm.jpg

Carlos Danger and AfterDark like this.
  6. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Tempting.

I'm 5'8", 158 lb, 30" inseam, 31" waist, 37" chest...

7. dfx

dfx Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Now the obvious question would be: if this old neoprene is so superior to the modern stuff, why don't they still make and use it? :idk:

8. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Price, faster manufacturing, less wetsuit stock required, etc.

9. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Some custom wetsuit shops still do... but at the rate I go through wetsuits (at least one per year), that would get expensive.

10. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Wetwear makes them out of G-231N..... Darn good suit.