Couple of very, very basic questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My son is 15 and AOW certified. While in Maui next month he will take the rescue diver course and I will b=finally get around to basic certification.
My question is that we live in southern cal and I would like to know what I should buy here to bring there of should I wait and get my basics there.
I'm thinking I should get my boots, mask fins and snorkel here.
How thick should I get the boots for Maui? 3mm? 7mm?
Should I get the Hog tech fins or some other brand.
Should I go to a local dive shop and get the mask and fins here or should I get it there?
Thanks and this forum has been great.
Learned a lot and look forward to learning more.
Already read about a 100 posts on BP/W but I will also take the advice of the board and dive a while before buying any hardware but I am ready to outfit my son.
Thanks again RT

My son is 15 and AOW certified. While in Maui next month he will take the rescue diver course and I will b=finally get around to basic certification.
My question is that we live in southern cal and I would like to know what I should buy here to bring there of should I wait and get my basics there.
I'm thinking I should get my boots, mask fins and snorkel here.
How thick should I get the boots for Maui? 3mm? 7mm?
Should I get the Hog tech fins or some other brand.
Should I go to a local dive shop and get the mask and fins here or should I get it there?
Thanks and this forum has been great.
Learned a lot and look forward to learning more.
Already read about a 100 posts on BP/W but I will also take the advice of the board and dive a while before buying any hardware but I am ready to outfit my son.
Thanks again RT

Hi RT, welcome to ScubaBoard!
I was about the same age as your son when I started diving (16), he's got lots of great memories and bubbles to look forward to with you (Im jealous, I wish my father still dove!)!
You gotta quite a few questions, let's try to get you some answers.

Maui is going to be very pleasant water, about 82 degrees in the summer. Since that is pool temperature water, you could get by with a rashy and trunks although a 3mm wouldn't be a bad idea for some exposure protection (sharp coral, lava rocks, aquatic life, etc).
There is two basic mentalities when it comes to the traveling diver. The first is the light packer, bring only the essentials and rent the rest. The second, and more experienced diver, will probably want to bring all of their own gear. Since you guys are just beginning your training, its not an unreasonable assumption that you do not have your BCD and regulator yet?? If I was in your position, I would purchase my personal gear (mask, fin, snorkel) here in the states where you will probably have more selection.

As far as booties go, I would buy 7mm. That way you could use them in SoCal too. Whichever fins you buy, they should have an adjustable strap because you will be buying booties. Its hard to recommend which fins to get because it depends on what kind of diving do you see yourself doing. For my students that are not the strongest swimmers, I recommend split fins. The split distributes the work effort while maintaining propulsion. In English...they are very easy to use.
splitfin_waterflow.jpg
There are several manufacturers that make split fins that can meet your budget. My first pair of fins were Atomic split fins and they were fantastic! That being said, I sold those about half a year ago to "upgrade" to the Hollis F1 fins, which are very similar to the HOG tec fins you mentioned. The reason why is because I do a lot of sidemount, tec and rebreather diving. The tec style fins make fin kicking much easier (it was almost impossible to backfin with my split fins). Usually newer divers have easy to use fins whereas if you look at more advanced divers tend to use the jet fins. I'll make one last recommendation about fins. Since hopefully you guys plan on diving in California, you will most likely be doing beach dives. Spring straps makes it very easy, and fast to put on and take off your fins. This is very handy when you are going through the surf zone. The downside is they are more expensive.
commercialandjetfin.jpg
I recommend going to a local dive shop that has a wide variety of gear that you can try on. The most important feature of a mask is the seal, you want to make sure it fits really good. If there was 1 item that you can "cheap out" on, it would probably be your snorkel. Atomic makes a $75 SV1 snorkel, you don't need to get that! The final consideration you should have is traveling. Do you have travel bags that your fins and gear will fit in? Will it make it under the weight limit? The tec fins you mentioned have a bit of weight on them.

In conclusion, invest in gear that you can use in Hawaii and in California (or where you will be diving most). Try things on at a local dive shop in the states. If you decide against buying everything in the mainland, maybe get a couple of brands and models of gear that the dive shop in Maui has. That way you can "scout" what they have to make sure you like it (make sure you have a way to bring it home!). Hope this helps, please feel free to send me a personal message if you have any more questions. Happy safe diving to you both! :)

Sorry one last thing that I just thought of. Maybe check with your dive shop first to make sure that it is okay that you bring your own gear. I have heard of some dive shops require their OW students purchase personal gear through them exclusively. Also, will they give you a discount if you buy it there? Is it substantial enough to wait til Maui? Lastly, if the rental gear including in your invoice? Some resorts assume brand new divers will be renting through the shop so the rental fee is already on the invoice. If it is, can they take the rental fees off if you have your own gear? I can't imagine that being a problem but you don't want to get stuck with an unnecessary, rental charge anyways. Cheers!

In Maui you're going to do the first part of your class in a pool and the balance offshore. A few shops may do your check-out dives in shallow conditions off their boat in the afternoons near shore. Once you're certified you can both dive Molokini Crater, besides being an easy dive (inside) it's also one of the best. No one teaches at the Crater - it's no longer allowed.

Personally I would buy 3MM boots for Maui. The water will be like 82-84o now so you may find 7MM boots uncomfortable. If you later start diving in SoCal, get them then. My go to Maui boots are 3MM Tusa Imprex Dive Slippers - they're under $30 anywhere.

Split fins are an option but tend to cost more since the mfr's pay a royalty to the patent holder (Nature's Wing) on every pair sold. Some are over $200. Tusa sells their Xpert Zoom Z3 more reasonably, $129 or $89 for the previous model Zoom Fins. Which I own and use in Maui. In SoCal, especially diving in the Kelp, I'd want a paddle fin for maneuverability. There's a bunch of them under $100 - check leisurepro.com.

Definitely buy a mask personally. The better ones use a softer grade of silicon - often called soft-seal, crystal seal, etc. around the edges - to seal better. To test a mask, put it on your face and inhale slightly w/o using the strap, if it stays on, it's an option.

I agree with the above poster on the snorkel. You'll be required to have/use one in class. The only reason to get a better one would be if you plan to snorkel on Maui since that's fantastic also.

In Maui some of the dive shops have more limited gear selection since they're boat based operations. Prices generally seemed higher there so it might make more sense to buy locally. Plus if you pack it here, you'll know it fits on the return. Normal non-travel sized Adult fins tend to be too long for carry-on's.

There are Sport Chalet's all over SoCal that all sell gear so that's an option besides your local dive shops.

There's no shop that I know of on Maui (I've been to most of them) that require you to buy gear from them. Some sell it to you at a student discount if you take the class from them. Whether that's cheaper??? Most shops on Maui expect you to have your own fins/mask/snorkel for classes. Many include the BC/Reg/Wetsuit rental as part of the price.

One other thing to consider is doing the classroom part as E-learning first so you won't have to do that on vacation time. It's a popular option with PADI. If you elect to do the e-learning first, some shops have a link to their site to access it thru otherwise there's another fee. On Maui I'd certify with PADI as just about every shop there is - the only SSI shops on Maui are the Maui Dive Shops. There are no NAUI shops on Maui afaik. After you're certified it won't matter who it's with in future diving elsewhere. You want to take the Open Water course. Shops on Maui also teach a shorter/cheaper "Scuba Diver" course but it's not a full cert. and would require you to always dive with an instructor. Whoever you certify with will also offer a discount on future dives with them while you're there.

If you're staying in Lahaina/Kaanapali, look at Lahaina Divers. They offer a three day program and checkout dives are off their boats in the ocean which is more fun. What you can expect: PADI Open Water Diver Certification | Maui Scuba Diving Classes Lahaina has bigger boats also. Nicer to get on/off for newer divers. Extended Horizons is another option in that area. Maui Lanai SCUBA Diving Certifications - Open Water Diver Course - Lahaina, Hawaii Only two of your required 4-5 dives will be off their boat.

In the Kihei area, any of these work: B&B Scuba, Ed Robinsons, Maui Dreams Dive Co or Shaka Divers. Really any others also except Mike Severns (I don't think they teach). With Shaka Divers you won't do boat dives as he's shore based - I don't think MDDC does any either. B&B or Robinson's have their boats based at the Kihei ramp so that's more convenient if they do boat dives as part of class.

Maui PADI and IANTD Scuba Classes | Diving Classes Maui
Maui Scuba Diving :: Scuba Instruction
Instruction & Certification General Info - Maui Dreams Dive Co
SCUBA Lessons

Gentlemen,
I simply cannot believe how much time and effort you took to answer a question to someone you have never met.
I'm very grateful for the information and very impressed with the generosity of the board as well as knowledge.
I will be taking the e-class for PADI through Lahaina divers.
We have a timeshare at the Westin Kanapali and go every year so getting certified makes sense especially now that my son is so into it. He also learned to play ice hockey so I learned also. Only three more years til he goes to college.
Once I'm certified I will start diving in Scal with him.
He dove the keys this past xmas while I snorkeled but I would have liked to be with him. My daughter is 10 so maybe when she is 12 she may get certified also. Right now she is content snorkeling.
Again I am so appreciative for the warm welcome and information.
Thank you,
RT

Unless you get a steep discount on items from the shop with which you are taking your class, I'd buy at home. Everything in the islands is more expensive, I assume due to shipping costs.

I would very, very strongly advise AGAINST the split fins. Here is my reason: One of the biggest problems I see new diving student having is achieving stability in the water. They'll lose their balance, because they haven't got the knack yet of keeping the tank centered on their back, and once they start to turn turtle, they'll wave their hands frantically, trying to restore stability. If one has paddle fins, this stability can easily be restored with the fins, thus making it much easier to break the hand-waving habit. With splits, it's FAR more difficult to use the fins as horizontal stabilizers, and the hand swimming habit gets ingrained.

Buy an inexpensive set of paddle fins (for example, the Deep See Pulses) and put some spring straps on them. You'll be happy with that, and if you later decide you want to change your fins, you won't have lost much money. (I'd advise buying the HOG fins, which are excellent and come with stretch straps, except that they are a little heavy for diving in the tropics.)

Whatever you do, please do give Southern California diving a try after you get home. You guys have some of the most amazing diving in the world right off your shores!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom