Countdown Timer Still No Worky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skeet:
Does anybody know if this means my trip is cancelled?
Check your User CP - if the information is still in the timer set up fields I think you can salvage the trip. If its gone all I can say is, like all things computer, you should have made a back-up :D.

skeet:
Info still there. But if the money is gone mywife is gonna be mad.
Maybe that's why TechAdmin has been missing :11: .

At least 4 separate people keep the board running (myself, Pete, our system admin, the support staff at our hosting company), I am simply the friendly face you see responding to your questions so just because I am not around does not mean things aren't being managed but simply that issues like this are on hold. I have however returned and spent some time looking into the issue. From where I sit every one who has posted to this thread has a count down timer that is working and showing an event of some sort. Keep in mind, if you use the classic or original themes you will not see the count down timers regardless of your browser. If however you are using the portal theme the count down timers will show up. The only thing that could stop them from appearing is either not setting all the fields (minutes and seconds count here) or the interference of a program like Norton with your security settings. Javascript which is used to run the counters can be disabled or blocked by your browser, this isn't something we have access to and in the event something in blocking it you will need to turn that off. As a test, look for drop down links from the navigation bar, if none of the links (like Quick Links) drop down then you don't have javascript support. If you do have javascript and you are using the portal theme but still can't see the count down timers then you have a problem I am unable to duplicate on any of our machines or on any machines I have tested from, in order to fix the problem I would need more information to figure out what is causing your individual problem.

Hello
First I would like to thank you for making the effort to fix this problem.
Also I understand that you know much more about how this board works than I ever will.
I do however have a couple points that may help you find the problem.

I have 3 computers that until 6 days ago could see everyones countdown timer including my own.

Since your post today I have visted the board with No firewall or Nortons and counters are still missing.

I did the test you suggested and when I click quick links the drop down menu does appear and work.

I also notice that the option to change board "THEMES" ie portal/classic ect that was at bottom left of forum is also missing for me.

I do understand that it is hard to solve a problem you cannot see, however I find it almost impossible that all of those having this problem changed something on their computers to lose the countdown timer at the same time. We could see the timers before.

I also have cleared all cookies/ rebooted and visted as a newbie and still could not
see timers.

If you have any other questions or test for me to do please post.
I am sure you will hear the same thing from others with this problem.

Once again
THANK YOU for looking at this issue

Cardzard

Tech Admin:
At least 4 separate people keep the board running (myself, Pete, our system admin, the support staff at our hosting company), I am simply the friendly face you see responding to your questions so just because I am not around does not mean things aren't being managed but simply that issues like this are on hold. I have however returned and spent some time looking into the issue. From where I sit every one who has posted to this thread has a count down timer that is working and showing an event of some sort. Keep in mind, if you use the classic or original themes you will not see the count down timers regardless of your browser. If however you are using the portal theme the count down timers will show up. The only thing that could stop them from appearing is either not setting all the fields (minutes and seconds count here) or the interference of a program like Norton with your security settings. Javascript which is used to run the counters can be disabled or blocked by your browser, this isn't something we have access to and in the event something in blocking it you will need to turn that off. As a test, look for drop down links from the navigation bar, if none of the links (like Quick Links) drop down then you don't have javascript support. If you do have javascript and you are using the portal theme but still can't see the count down timers then you have a problem I am unable to duplicate on any of our machines or on any machines I have tested from, in order to fix the problem I would need more information to figure out what is causing your individual problem.

cardzard, my problem is identical with yours and I too did the test etc.

Oh well, it was fun to see everyones countdown for a while,kinda neat to see where everyone it going. I guess it wasn't meant to be for a few of us. I use two computers myself, and even looked on my bothers this weekend when I went to visit him. No go same problem.

techadmin thanks for looking into it. You know you guys are appreciated. :07:

cardzard:
Hello
First I would like to thank you for making the effort to fix this problem.
Also I understand that you know much more about how this board works than I ever will.
I do however have a couple points that may help you find the problem.

I have 3 computers that until 6 days ago could see everyones countdown timer including my own.

Since your post today I have visted the board with No firewall or Nortons and counters are still missing.

I did the test you suggested and when I click quick links the drop down menu does appear and work.

I also notice that the option to change board "THEMES" ie portal/classic ect that was at bottom left of forum is also missing for me.

I do understand that it is hard to solve a problem you cannot see, however I find it almost impossible that all of those having this problem changed something on their computers to lose the countdown timer at the same time. We could see the timers before.

I also have cleared all cookies/ rebooted and visted as a newbie and still could not
see timers.

If you have any other questions or test for me to do please post.
I am sure you will hear the same thing from others with this problem.

Once again
THANK YOU for looking at this issue

Cardzard

I have the exact same problem.

After cardzard's PM I reapplied the countdown timer script and while it still works fine for my test machines it clearly does not work fine for all of you. Obviously there is a fundemental quirk in the code which effects a good portion of the browsers out there. I will continue to look for a better script to server the same function but we are greatly limited in what we can do given that (1) we need to keep page size down as much as possible which means less redundant code and (2) we need something that can work in 10 places on the same page. To be honest this is not the top of the list but it is getting attention and that's what counts (or at least it should count I think :wink:).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom