Could The World's Worst Airport Be In Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not that bad. OTOH at any time it can become the worst from your perspective depending on circumstances.

Last week at CCV, the Saturday coming in was my worst experience at RTB. Huge immigration lines and many power outages. The precheck was invaluable here and likely saved us 2.5 hours of wait time. Hot and horrible anyway. I later found out that the Easter celebration week meant many mainlanders on Roatan stressing the power grid beyond the norm.

Nora said it was the worst day she ever experienced. Outbound last Saturday was no problem at all despite 4 planes leaving in 3 hours.

I have yet to encounter any Changi-like airport on any island in a third world country either in Asia or the Caribbean. RTB is hardly excellent, but average.

I quit leaving places with a hangover from the so ling libations party the night before depature. Almost immediate improvement of the airports. :wink:

Leaving on Monday wasn't a problem. Sure the departure lounge is too small for the number of people in it, but so was e.g. Bonaire. And anyway we didn't spend long in there. Now arriving in expletive Houston, that's another story. First you take a long way around to stand in line for the expletive machine that takes your expletive fingerprints and prints you a "go see the nice officer" stub. Then you go stand in expletive line to expletive see the nice officer. An hour later you go look for your expletive bags that have been already taken off the expletive belt and shoved out of the way someplace, but hopefully not yet arrested by Texpletive Sexpletive Axpletive for being unattended threat level orange with fuchsia expletive tinge. Then you walk them past customs and hopefully not get randomly selected for expletive orifice probing. Then you place them on another belt and go stand in another expletive line to let expletive three-letter expletive take an expletive X-ray of your expletive junk to keep our expletive freedom expletively safe. An expletive hour and a half to get through that expletive, and we were lucky: those were pretty short expletive lines.

Seriously people, you want to b*tch about airports? Try USofA sometime.

I do not remember the Roatan airport, but my connecting flight to Roatan was from
Toncontín International Airport and that flight scarred the c$%# out of me. We almost hit the side of the mountain.

You're probably talking about your landing at Toncontin.

That's actually a normal landing.

It's considered by many to be the most difficult airport to land in in the world, because the runway is perilously close to mountains. Pilots need to have special training to land there.

If it's your first time landing in Tegucigalpa and nobody is kind enough to give you a heads up about the notorious landing at TGU it can seem like something has gone horribly wrong, but it's actually routine. Every landing at TGU takes you within a snail's breath of mountains.

You're probably talking about your landing at Toncontin.

That's actually a normal landing.

It's considered by many to be the most difficult airport to land in in the world, because the runway is perilously close to mountains. Pilots need to have special training to land there.

If it's your first time landing in Tegucigalpa and nobody is kind enough to give you a heads up about the notorious landing at TGU it can seem like something has gone horribly wrong, but it's actually routine. Every landing at TGU takes you within a snail's breath of mountains.

SAHSA Honduras national airline. Stands for Stay At Home, Stay Alive

Actually I can't believe you think Roatan is that bad... ...I'd rather fly there than through LAX any day!

Actually I can't believe you think Roatan is that bad... ...I'd rather fly there than through LAX any day!

or Dulles when a bunch of international flights hit at the same time. The hallway to immigration is about 2.5 people wide, runs the length of the terminal and is completely inadequate to handing more than one wide body jet at a time. Dulles is by far the worst airport I have been at based on location, size and expectation.

SAHSA Honduras national airline. Stands for Stay At Home, Stay Alive

Used to be. They don't have one anymore, kind of like so much else.

We use TACA as a substitute national airline (Salvadoran)

Take a Casket Along

Why... here's TACA landing at Tegus just now.....

My years in Spanish class got me easily through this...

The RTB AC works much more often now than it did just a few years ago. That was bad luck it was on the blink when you passed through.
I tell myself we have to suffer inconvenience and irritation for our diving sometimes.
A few years ago I went to Truk. The airport (TKK) is open air until you are checked in and move on to the gate area, and it was a milling slow motion horde of sweating people to get checked in. And I think one working bathroom on the premises that day. The AC at the gate was not horrible as long as you could get within 6 feet of the vent, we took turns.
I can't wait to go back.

I have no bad memories of RTB whatsoever. Last time there-April/May-2015 (pictured). All my bad experience in travelling to the Caribbean was on the US side only: flights delayed or cancelled due to snowstorms or for no reason at all; standing for 1.5 hrs in line through Immigration; or, most ridiculous, 1/2 hr waiting in line through Customs because they had their shifts changing.
IMGP7676-1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom