Costa Rica Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all of the info. wow, we are sure going to be busy. I certainly have a lot to work on. It seems that the northwest is the place to go. Any recommendations on a dive op.

www.richcoastdiving.com They were great, couldn't have been better. Jessica is from the states, and knows how divers want to be treated. They are a little bit more expensive than some, but the fresh fruit between dives, and the friendliness of the staff was well worth any extra cost. We dropped our gear the first day and they rinsed it every night for us, that was really nice. Ask to dive 'Punta Gorda' a site that was a little further out, but one of the better dives. We stayed with www.hotel-villa-flores.com one of the nicer places we found, and still very cheap. David and Caroline are from the states as well, and can give you all kinds of info, as well as set up things for you to do if you just let them know where you want to go and what you want to do. We are going to go back, we just need more vacation this time!

Oh, and as far as visibility, each day is different. If you click on my gallery at the left here, all of those pics were taken in Costa Rica this past summer. I didn't care about the visibility at all except on maybe one dive day where it reminded me of a local lake dive, but then again, the animal life was still better to look at.

The largest coral reef is on the Caribbean side between Cahuita and Manzanillo (Puerto Viejo in between). Caribbean has a rasta flair, little infrastructure, is pristine and unspoiled. Aquamor is the best group to work with here.
http://greencoast.com/aquamor2.htm

In the central Pacific some diving is available around Manuel Antonio park but the real jem is south of Dominical at Playa Uvita and Ballena National park. This area has the second largest coral reef in the country is home to whales and dolphins and provides day trips to Canos to the south for diving in the wild southern Pacific.

Island diving in the northwest Pacific (Nicoya peninsula) is very popular with Bill Beard and many other capable companies. This is the driest area of the country and is a good choice from April-November (green season - plenty of rain in Central but especially southern Pacific).

Southern Pacific is the wildest part of Costa Rica where you will find Corcovado National Park, and the best diving spot Canos Island. This area is great during dry season (Dec-Mar) and has more sharks than anywhere else in the country.

For a map of national parks :
http://www.fun-costa-rica-vacations.com/costa-rica-national-parks.html

For a beach map showing Nicoya peninsula and Canos Island :
http://fun-costa-rica-vacations.com/costa-rica-beach-map.html

The northwest Pacific is the most tourist oriented area with Arenal, Monteverde, Rincon de la Vieja and plenty of American and European expatriates with hotels, bars, and restaurants. The southern part of Nicoya is less commercialized and more fun to me.

Never dove there.
One of the only places Ive been where theres still been things to do when I left.
Easy to drive around - very friendly and safe

Take a rainforest guided tour - the guides will show you all that you would have missed and you'll get into birdwatching
Canopy tours are cool

Decent golf

Thanks for all of the information. However there has been is a slight change of plans, I am going to Belize on Dec, 16 for a week. Staying of Caye Caulker and diving with Belize Diving Services. If your are there, I'll buy the sodas.
Maybe next year in Costa Rica.

Back
Top Bottom