Costa Rica Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove quite a few charters and only once have I seen someone from
the charter go in to signal the divers there time was up. I talked with the
divers and they were not happy at all. These were recreational single tank
divers on a shallow reef that just wanted a few more minutes on the reef. In
poor conditions I can see a charter wanting to keep the dives a bit shorter.
35F in south florida this morning brrrrr.

P.S. Hurgada (Red Sea) is the only place i dove where there where no time limitations, viz is about 100 ft and there where no guided groups. Everybody was dropped with his Buddy (knowing him or not) and had to navigate back to the Ship.

I know this post was made almost a month ago, but I felt it was important to make a couple of points.

First off, the Red Sea is certainly not the only place where there are no time limits and no guided groups. I live in Southern California, and on our local dive boats, ALL divers are on their own. You are expected to come with a buddy...they "open the gate" and you hit the water with your buddy, then find your way back to the boat when your dive is over, however long it takes. Unless you bring your own instructor or guide, you are on your own. This is standard practice throughout SoCal. Some boats occasionally have gate time cut-offs, but that's more about getting INTO the water with enough time to do the full dive you want -- gates are always open for at least an hour or longer, and as long as you get yourself into the water as soon as the gate opens, you can use up your tank.

As for time limits on guided/group dives...I have only seen this a couple of times myself, and I've been diving in many places around the world, including Costa Rica (twice), Belize, Bali, French Polynesia, Galapagos, and the Caribbean. I now make it a point to never dive with a dive op who is going to cut MY dive time because someone in the group is a hoover. I expect any hoovers in the group to have their own buddy, and when they breathe out their tank, they can leave the group and go back to the boat on their own. If the guide has to go with somebody, fine...but I expect to be left alone to finish MY dive, along with my buddy. I'm a certified diver - I don't need a babysitter.

Now, I do realize there are certain situations in which it makes sense for the group to stay together, and the dive must end when the first person reaches the agreed-upon psi. This was the case in the Galapagos, which was an exceedingly challenging dive site. But in these cases, I expect the dive op to organize very small groups, and to group people together by skill, so as to reduce the likelihood that a huge number of divers with reasonable sac rates will have their dives spoiled by one hoover.

Sometimes boat schedules and crew limitations limit the lengths of dives. If the shop has both morning and afternoon dives the morning boats need to return in sufficient time so that the boat can be turned around in time for afternoon trips. We run into this issue occasionally. We are required to hire Panamanian DMs but they are scarce (as are Panamanians interested in being trained as DMs). If we only have one DM on duty on a particular day it would be pushing his NDLs to do four one hour dives (2 morning, 2 afternoon) and often a night dive as well, which is compounded by the need to turn around the boat and the need to get divers for the afternoon trip equipped for their trip. We strive for 50-55 minutes a dive.

I would NEVER dive with a dive op that would cut MY dive times short because of NDL times for their DMs who might be going out later with other groups. Sorry but the DM's later dives are not my problem. I'm paying full price for my dives...why should I get less dive for my money, for the convenience of the dive op? If a dive op ever did this to me, that would be the last time I would ever dive with them -- and I would report this in the strongest terms possible here on Scuba Board.

If a dive op forced me to get back on a boat with more than 700psi in my tank, that would be the last time I would use them.

We are currently in the planning stages of our third trip to Costa Rica, which is why I happened upon this thread. Now that I know that some dive ops in Costa Rica seem to feel it's acceptable to limit dive times, this will be a question I ask of any dive op that I consider using.

There are valid reasons to set limits on dives, and bogus reasons. Dive ops can run things however they want, but if they have limits they should make them clear before someone ever books with them. Then it's up to the customer to decide if the limits or reasons are acceptable.

Statements that nearly everyone does something either reflect limited experiences, or an attempt to justify what you're doing.

There are valid reasons to set limits on dives, and bogus reasons. Dive ops can run things however they want, but if they have limits they should make them clear before someone ever books with them. Then it's up to the customer to decide if the limits or reasons are acceptable.

Statements that nearly everyone does something either reflect limited experiences, or an attempt to justify what you're doing.

I agree. The key is for the customer to know what to expect. I did find myself on a dive once where the op specifically limited our dive time to 45 minutes - this was with the onboard dive op on a small cruise ship in French Polynesia, and I wasn't aware that they were going to put this limit on it. Apparently most of the divers they get on that ship are infrequent divers who have high sac rates and not enough experience to know that this is not standard practice. There was no valid reason for the limit, they were NOT deep dives, and on my first dive I ended up back on the boat with over 1200 psi!

I made a stink about it, and after that they gave us 60 minutes, which was fine.

I also realize there are situations/places where it's valid to set limits, and keep the group together. I experienced that in the Galapagos, and also a couple of challenging mola-mola viewing sites in Bali. But I didn't see that on either of the times when I dived in Costa Rica. In fact, when we did Isla del Cano a couple years back, the DM made a point of making sure that everyone had a buddy to return to the anchor line on their own for a safety stop if they breathed out their tank early, so the rest of the group could continue. He even sent my husband back with another couple and continued the dive with just me, since I still had quite a bit of air left. Now THAT'S the way a group dive at a non-advanced site should be handled! I got another ten minutes of alone-time with the DM, which was awesome. :)

I was just in Costa Rica last week and dove with Agua Rica dive shop in Tamarindo. Nice dives, although it is the first time in over 50 dives that I've had to leave the pack and surface early due to low air. However, it wasn't that the tank was under-filled; rather, it was a combination of not being used to diving with a surge, which caused me to use more air, and the fact that the divemaster kept the group down for 62 minutes. I came up at around 45-50 minutes, which is normally how long my dives are. I thought 62 minutes was a bit too long, but maybe not for some since depth ranged from 50-70 feet for most of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom