Costa Rica in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kent_1848

Reaction score
I have heard many different reports on visibility. Is August a bad time for vis in Costa Rica? I will be in Playa Del Coco the first week of August, and don't want to sign up for a weeks worth of dives if I'm only going to be able to see my spg 1 ft in front of my face.

Hmmmm in August it's winter there...but, like any other time the viz. can be low. I've dove there a different times of the yr. and never found the viz. to be that bad. alot of members here have gone down at different times and they claim to have had bad viz. Again i've dove there many times and never had a problem with it. I"ll be diving Coco Island next August since the liveaboard we are doing said it's the best time of yr. to dive there. where you staying in Playa del Coco?? i've stayed at the Flor de Itabo and i love that place.

Scuba65:
Hmmmm in August it's winter there...but, like any other time the viz. can be low. I've dove there a different times of the yr. and never found the viz. to be that bad. alot of members here have gone down at different times and they claim to have had bad viz. Again i've dove there many times and never had a problem with it. I"ll be diving Coco Island next August since the liveaboard we are doing said it's the best time of yr. to dive there. where you staying in Playa del Coco?? i've stayed at the Flor de Itabo and i love that place.

WINTER??? N of the Equator in August doesn't really equate to winter. In fact, I doubt they would really consider any time of year to be winter :wink: Anyway, we have no idea where we are staying yet, we just bought the plane tickets so that we make sure that we get out of here. We are diving with Rich Coast Diving though. That much we do have planned.

Well, that's what they call winter....ya, compared to me in the Northeast...it's not winter there ever. I"ve told people there...you want to see winter go to the Northeast then you can say it's winter. Well, if you don't have a place yet to stay at i'd recommend www.FlordeItabo.com it's like 2 blocks from the beach and it's a nice cheap/clean place. every time i go there i stay with them.

Hi Kent,
I was in CR last june so the "green season" has already started. I dove near Isla Catalina from Tamarindo and the visibility was not very good (8-15 feet--lots of particles in suspension) but the dive was still interesting (lots of moray eels and school of king angelfish). Don't loose your dive buddy though...I felt lost for a minute and I couldn't see any other diver around me and then, I spot the yellow fin of one diver that was in the group (always good to have a fluo color on you!)
Maybe I was unlucky with visibility and it was my first time in the Pacific (though I am use to poor visibility in lakes near Montreal!).

Hey, scuba65...lucky you, coco islands...36 hours offshore or so! I wish you to see a lots of hammerheads and mantas! Will that be your first time there? Once I'll be more experienced in diving, I would love to go there!

I was in Playa del Coco in August of 2004 and did 6 dives. Visibility was pretty good and diving was pretty good too. Losts of variety of marine life - rays, eels, sharks, scorpion fish, octopus and the regular reef creatures as well as bigger fish. I dove 4 times with Dive Ocotal (I think that's the name, it's right at the Ocotal Resort) and twice with Deep Blue Adventure Diving from Coco. Both shops were very good. I did the Bat Islands - unfortunately saw only one bull shark for several seconds. The currents at Bat island are strong and it is pretty far out (1.15 minutes boat ride), but it was a lot of fun - we saw a lot of eagle rays on our second dive. I also did the Catalina Island, but did not see any mantas. Local dives are much closer and pretty good.

They do call it winter in August and it was puzzling to me to since it's above equator, but that is their rainy season and The schools have of in December and January just like we do during summer. I guess that's why they call December and January (dry season) summer. Don't worry, even during wet season it does not rain a lot in Guanacaste. hope this helps, If you want more info let me know.

rastob:
I was in Playa del Coco in August of 2004 and did 6 dives. Visibility was pretty good and diving was pretty good too. Losts of variety of marine life - rays, eels, sharks, scorpion fish, octopus and the regular reef creatures as well as bigger fish. I dove 4 times with Dive Ocotal (I think that's the name, it's right at the Ocotal Resort) and twice with Deep Blue Adventure Diving from Coco. Both shops were very good. I did the Bat Islands - unfortunately saw only one bull shark for several seconds. The currents at Bat island are strong and it is pretty far out (1.15 minutes boat ride), but it was a lot of fun - we saw a lot of eagle rays on our second dive. I also did the Catalina Island, but did not see any mantas. Local dives are much closer and pretty good.

They do call it winter in August and it was puzzling to me to since it's above equator, but that is their rainy season and The schools have of in December and January just like we do during summer. I guess that's why they call December and January (dry season) summer. Don't worry, even during wet season it does not rain a lot in Guanacaste. hope this helps, If you want more info let me know.

Wow, that is weird...winter in August N of Equator...Anyway, how long were you there that you only did 6 dives? I am just wondering, b/c we will be there a week, and need to know if it is worth diving for 5 days, or if it would be better to do something else and see more of the countryside.

kent_1848:
Wow, that is weird...winter in August N of Equator...Anyway, how long were you there that you only did 6 dives? I am just wondering, b/c we will be there a week, and need to know if it is worth diving for 5 days, or if it would be better to do something else and see more of the countryside.

I'm going next month. Because of the mixed reviews on diving and the great reviews of the rest of the country, I'm spending 2 days diving then renting a car and heading inland for the rest of the week.

divebuddy68:
I'm going next month. Because of the mixed reviews on diving and the great reviews of the rest of the country, I'm spending 2 days diving then renting a car and heading inland for the rest of the week.

I'm headed there in 1 week. It won't be a dedicated dive trip. I'm going to try to do a little of everything. Dive, golf, hike, lounge, etc.. Will be diving Catalina island out of playa flamingo. Should only be a 10 minute boat ride.

Oh, you guy's will have tons of fun....when driving be careful cause the locals drive like maniacs....you think driving in the states is bad...wait to you see how they drive there. The diving is good and just checking out the country side and all that is tons of fun. make sure you head to the Arenal Volcano..it's awesome.

Rockbeauty: Yes, it will be my first time at Coco Island next yr. i've been diving now for about 15 yrs. and it will be my first time there..it's too expensive that's why i hadn't gone there yet...needed to save up all these yrs...ha,ha,ha... oh, that will be the ultimate in diving specially with so many hammerheads. i can't wait. and we are also doing Drake Bay after Coco's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom