Costa Rica Guanacaste region in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... we did our first dive this morning off the shore at Riu Guanacosta, and the coldest we got at 50 feet was 81f. A 7mm is over kill!
Lots of white tip reef sharks, eels, rays and fish, no coral anywhere. It's all rock outcroppings. Still enjoyable though.
Two more dives tomorrow, hopefully a manta ray, buy apparently now is not the season for them.
Glad you had a great dive.

I ended up talking to a guy at my lds who said the same. I arrived a few days ago and am happily diving a 3m, no hood/gloves, but I do have my 6m boots since my fins don't fit without them. I'm a bit warm on the first dive, esp if it's above 40 ft, but I'm happy it's there on dive #3 at below 60 ft, the coldest I've logged here so far was 76F, at that was around 75 ft on the other side of a very sharp thermocline. I've been doing boat dives out of playas del coco. I did enjoy the one to the Catalinas. The boat ride is not that bad, but if prone to sea sickness, definitely take something for it.

I've seen a bit of coral -- I've also seen what looks like the work of some coral restoration folks (baby corals on armatures anchored to the sea floor), but yes, there's mostly rock reefs, which are really fun to see who's hiding in the cracks. I've been seeing lobsters, eels, octopus, white tips, many different types of rays (except Manta, since, as you said, they appear to be on vacation), some exquisite and tiny nudibranchs (I had a "macro day"), and of course, more pufferfish and porcupine fish I knew could exist in one place. I've really enjoyed some of the massive schools of fish, and did get to see a few turtles.

Hope your other dives were awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom