Costa Rica.... Good diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divecon_nik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am heading down to Costa Rica this coming feb. Im curious if there is some good diving down there? We have not made plans for exactly where we are going. Thanks for any input. also, im going without another diver, so im looking for maybe a chartered trip to go with. thanks, nik

There is plenty of good diving down here in Costa Rica. February is in the dry season so you should experience some of the better diving it has to offer. If you are interested in staying in one place and want to do a lot of diving I would suggest either Guanacaste in the north and try out the Catalina islands, and Local diving of PLaya Del coco, or camp out in the south and try out Cano Island and maybe local diving in Manual Antonio area. If you are looking to do other activities then travel around and try them both out as the diving in both locations is a bit varied. Visibility at this time of year can be anything from around 30ft up to 70ft. Have fun and enjoy the Pacific!

We dove Guanacaste area about three years ago, including going out to Black Rock for the Bull Sharks, as well as some great dives around Monkey Head (and there's an inside joke there). It's next on out list to return, especially with the inland opportunities of trips to Nicaragua, and Arenal Volcano.

One thing to note is that the dive sites that have been recommended are all Pacific side. I didn't get a chance to dive when I was there but my general observation was that the water seemed better on that side rather than the Caribbean side.

We dove Guanacaste area about three years ago, including going out to Black Rock for the Bull Sharks, as well as some great dives around Monkey Head (and there's an inside joke there). It's next on out list to return, especially with the inland opportunities of trips to Nicaragua, and Arenal Volcano.

ibj40, if you visit Arenal you should consider staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge. We stayed there and it was awesome. It used to be a Smithsonian observation station, so you can't beat the location, on a ridge a couple of miles from the volcano with direct line of sight. It is definitely a spurge ($130 a night when we were there) but we could watch the volcano erupting from our bed. It was a blast (literally)!

Pacific site is defenitely a good place to dive. We are located in Playas del Coco and have organized trips to local dive sites every day. Check this movie out, it is filmed at bat island, one of our special dive sites where you can see the bull sharks and manta rays!

YouTube - Bat Islands Bull Sharks

If you want any more information don't hesitate to contact us!

Sunny regards,

Kiki

CR has great variety of underwater ecosistems. Very diferent from one to another. So depends on weather you want to stay in one place or move all over the country. I would recomed the Osa peninsula, Drake Bay has Caño island 12 miles of the coast. This is the best spot to dive in continental Costa Rica.
Pura Vida!

Hands down Catalina and Bat Islands are the best in mainland Costa Rica, Drake Bay is quite nice and Isla Cano does have spectacular diving. However there are mantas at Cats and everything from bull sharks, mantas, whale sharks and BIG pelagic game fish at Bat Islands. Most dive shops need a minimun number of people and Ocotal beach resort probably goes out to these most often, but there are lots of dive shops to choose from.

The pacific side of Costa Rica is very rich of Plankton, and this reduces visibility a bit,
but attracts incredible amounts if fishes, especially big ones.

From February to end of April he have "our" Manta Rays on the various dove sites feeding and fascinating our customers.
Our special location on the entrance to the Gulf of Nicoya and the steep pinnacles and other volcanic formations attracts all kind of local fishes.
The caves and caverns are a welcome home for white tip and nurse sharks, giant goupers and the currents around the pinnacle a game field for pelagic fishes.

I also consider Isla del Caño one of the best places to dive in Costa Rica,
and for me it's the best place to end the holidays, relaxing in a nice lodge, feeling the lush primary rainforest and let passing by the memories of a incredible country.

Chris Karrer

The pacific side of Costa Rica is very rich of Plankton, and this reduces visibility a bit,
but attracts incredible amounts if fishes, especially big ones.

From February to end of April he have "our" Manta Rays on the various dove sites feeding and fascinating our customers.
Our special location on the entrance to the Gulf of Nicoya and the steep pinnacles and other volcanic formations attracts all kind of local fishes.
The caves and caverns are a welcome home for white tip and nurse sharks, giant goupers and the currents around the pinnacle a game field for pelagic fishes.

I also consider Isla del Caño one of the best places to dive in Costa Rica,
and for me it's the best place to end the holidays, relaxing in a nice lodge, feeling the lush primary rainforest and let passing by the memories of a incredible country.

Chris Karrer

Chris - Many have recommended Isla del Caño for my return trip to Costa Rica but some said that it lacks the proper infrastructure to handle tourists as its very under developed. Do you know a dive op there? Or does your shop organize trips there?

To the OP, Catalina and Bat Island are must dive spots if you want to see bull sharks, white tipped sharks and manta rays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom