Costa Rica diving in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica from Nov 8 - Nov 28 this year. Of course, we would like to do some diving there.
We would like to go to the Dominical area as a first stop. (We wanted to go to Osa Peninsula, but it's really hard to get there without renting a car - which we were trying to avoid.) There are some companies who offer day trips to Cano Island. One of the hotel owners in the area informed us that diving Cano at the beginning of November is futile (bad vis, etc.) and that no respectable dive operator would run trips there that time of the year. Do you have any opinion about that?

Other (dive) destinations include Manuel Antonio, Playa Flamingo, and Puerto Viejo on the Carribbean side.

Any thoughts/info greatly appreciated.
Michael

P.S.: No diving at Lake Arenal, huh?! :11::wink:

I also know that some shops close during the rainy season in that area due to bad viz. Manuel Antoinio is good, but I would not dive the Carribbean side of Costa Rica, the Pacific is much better, there are far better places to dive the Carribbean. Check out Playas del Coco.divers paradise, good accomodation, entertainment and every friday a divers happy hour!
Check out CRDP, the Association of Costa Rica Dive Professionals. We make Costa Rica a safe dive destination..

Oh, and yes, we are looking into diving at lake Arenal (it will be altitude diving)

How are you?
Reefrunner Divers is also on the Caribbean. They were having a rough time. It was sold to three americans who promptly messed it up.
I'm the old owner and I've just taken it back 2 weeks ago.
We're a PADI shop (#19897) again and doing things right!
We're also a Costa Rica ICT member...

Check out our website reefrunnerdivers.com
Here, all of our dives are reef dives, so even with some reduced visibility, you're going to see
the reef life.
We're located in Puerto Viejo, South of Limon and Cahuita.

Our cell phone is 011.506.8329.7850

give me a shout!

After some users asked me about our trip last November, I thought I could share our experience here. After all, it's half a year after the trip and one year after my initial inquiry. So here goes:

Costa Rica was great. November is the end of the rainy season and we had many days with sunshine in the morning and rain in the afternoon. But it's the tropics and part of the experience.
We started in Dominical and traveled up to Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Brasilito, La Fortuna, and Samara (so actually, we were criss-crossing the West Coast). For the most part we went on hiking trips, went swimming, or diving. We didn't do any of the zip-line things but went on a canopy tour in Monteverde, which I can recommend.

We dove in four separate locations:

1. Isla del Cano
We went with Southern Expeditions out of Dominical on a full-day tour. Diving was nice there; it was the first warm-water dive for me and I had a great time. The boat ride was a bit long (about 40 min. on the Drake river and another 40 min. on the open ocean) to get to the island but we saw humpback whales on the way, and the back-pain afterwards was well worth it. My wife decided to skip the second dive because she had a slight cold. While I was down looking at octopus the boat captain took her on a tour to see dolphins and she had a great time.
Here is a link to the dive shop:
Costa Rica Southern Expeditions- The Southern Pacific Eco Tour Experts- Kayaking, Snorkeling and Hiking
and here a link to my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/grimmerm/CanoIslandCostaRica#

2. Manuel Antonio
We ended up going out with Oceans Unlimited in Quepos. We drove out to one of the little islands of the Manuel Antonio park and dropped down. Unfortunately, the vis wasn't good that day (only about 5-10ft) and some people on the boat apparently had never dove in low-vis conditions before, which made it somewhat difficult underwater with people bumping into each other all the time, but overall it was fun. We went to dive sites 5 and 7 on the map on their website:
Costa Rica Scuba Diving with Oceans Unlimited Costa Rica
My pictures are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/grimmerm/ManuelAntonioCostaRica#

3. Catalina Islands
In my opinion: If you only have time to go to one dive location, go here. We dove with Aqua Center out of Playa Flamingo and I can highly recommend them. The dive sites were just spectacular and I ended up going out twice with them (four dives at four different locations around the islands). Here is a link to the dive shop:
Aquacenter Diving Costa Rica, Scuba Diving the Catalina Islands in Costa Rica
and here are my pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/grimmerm/SantaCatalinaIslandsCostaRica#

4. Playa Samara
We had a last minute change of plans due to a storm on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica and decided to go to Samara instead. The storm had passed through a few days before we got there and the aftermath (wind, waves, clouds, low vis, etc.) could still be seen when we went out with Pura Vida Dive:
Pura Vida Dive - Samara Beach - Costa Rica - Playa Samara - Costa Rica
My pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/grimmerm/PlayaSMaraCostaRica#

All in all, we had a great time despite some rainy days and occassional low vis diving. All dive shops were superb and I highly recommend each and every one of them.
We would go to Costa Rica again any day.

check out Playa Del Coco in northwestern CR, just 20 minutes from the Liberia airport (second major airport in CR with flights out of Houston and other US cities). I dove three different times with Deep Blue diving they have a web site. Not the Caribbean diving but chance to see some big fish, more wild, natural habitat. Good choice of hotels in area with reasonable prices.

Sadly, no mantas; but many spotted-eagle and stingrays. I guess it's hit-or-miss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom