Costa Rica diving 1st time (in a week!) - need advice!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sam,

Been to CR many times but never dove - where you posted is where I was thinking of going - long strory, we went to Octal once, were supposted to dive but got blown out. :shakehead:

Sounds good, but would you recommend it (the diving) Would you go back?

I've heard Bat and Catalina are fantastic - wondering about the other sites

Thanks!!

See you in the MOF :rofl3::rofl3:

Hi, Rob,

Yes, I would recommend the diving and would go back to Bats and Catalina, both were fantastic sites and not crowded by other boats, at least not when I was there. Conditions change quickly with all the currents, the last day at Bats Island, we saw 7 bull sharks on the first dive at about 90 ft with 30 ft viz, did a one hour surface interval, dove the same site on the second dive where viz was 10 ft and no bull sharks. :depressed:

I'd like to dive Cocos Island and Cano Island, the latter being a recommendation for the DM who said it's a must dive the next time I return to Costa Rica. Cano Island is not as well known as Cocos Island nor as built up as other areas of Costa Rica. Cano is very remote and difficult to get to but DM says well worth the effort. He said that is where he dives when he is not working.

I chose to dive Costa Rica because with its current and surges, I'm told it's similar to Galapagos conditions and I want to dive the Galapagos soon.

Water temps last week were about 81 degrees at the surface. However, be aware that it's very common to encounter thermoclines where the temperature can drop as much as 12 degrees.I tend to chill easily, so I wore a 5mm suit (Mares Trilastic) with a 3mm beanie. Even so, those thermoclines felt REALLY frigid. Fortunately, they're relatively short-lived. But you may encounter several in any one dive - we did. Most others wore a 3mm suit. My husband was fine with only a lycra skin, but if you're doing repetitive dives during the week, you might need something a little more substantial as your trip progresses.

Yes, baricat, is spot on about the thermoclines and keeping warm with repetitive dives over the course of your tip. Most either had a 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit.

I also reccomend Rich Coast Diving! There is a really nice athmosphere in the shop and on the boat. The boat is great, we went on the catamaran and there was place enough for every one. We had loads of fun. The DM's are very professional, but they still have fun. The diving is perfect, we saw a few sharks, turtles and rays. I definitely come back to Rich Coast Diving. Maybe to do my Advanced Open Water Course...

I know that this is a little late but thought there may be some folks that still find this useful. We went to Tamarindo and dove a couple of days on our trip at the end of June. I think we got pretty lucky on the days we picked. Can be pretty hit or miss on visibility, and the boat ride can be a little rough. We dove with Agua Rica dive center. Our first day was a little rough getting out and currents are fairly strong. But, I really enjoyed the amount of life around the Catalina islands. Saw 3 white tips on the first dive as well as eagle rays and a large group of manta rays off in the distance. Also, tons of large schools of fish. I enjoyed the dives as I've only had experience diving the caribbean before this trip. Just a lot of different life on the Pacific. Our second dive, visibility was a little rough due to a rain storm coming in (June is rainy season in Costa Rica). The second day we dove was beautiful! Another large white tip shark, eagle rays, moray eels, large schools of fish. Good visibility for the area, current was better on this day, but still a little challenging. Very happy with the dive company. Small numbers on the boat (6 total), both guides were nice. I was worried initially as they were a little short on words when I was speaking to them prior to diving. I think their communication skills excel under the water. Great attention to safety. They use dive lines for ascending and descending due to current and even compared their computer to mine to ensure safety. I would definately recommend these guys. Also, keep your eye open for jumping devil rays when you are on the boat.
The above water activities were great also. Took a surfing lesson (I am much better under the water than on top of it). Did a tour to Buena Vista including horseback riding, waterfall hike, hotsprings, zip line, waterfall, lunch which was also tons of fun. The boys had a nice day of fishing catching a 300-350lb. sailfish on a dingy (catch and release, so maybe you will meet up with him someday under the water).
Hope this info. helps some curious people. Write with questions if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom